Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off ya i know.. i fded up should have just removed the neg terminal on the battery to clear a stupid engine light code which i know what it is . After a 12 hour shift.. brain wasn't working too well. Although i have removed the fuse before with no issues. i also had the car running before deciding on this stupid idea. the issue is my MAF sensor is acting up and keeps the fans running.. i didn't want to run the risk of burning them out.

replaced fuse. turned ignition on, off after a minute or so and tried to start the car. It sounds like its trying to turn over and it just won't. left it at work in the parking lot and will try to see if any fuses are blown. i checked a few and it all looked good. left it alone because i was ready to lay the boots to it.

anyways.. any suggestions before i get to it tomorrow? not sure if i damaged the ECM ? i will do a reset tomorrow first thing but not sure what else could it be. that is the only fuse i pulled.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
Cadillac
738 Posts
Could be related to the MAF sensor problem. Maybe there was more to it than fans?

I'm sure you know, but for the benefit of people on here that may not... an engine code only tells you where the problem was detected, not what the problem was. A MAF sensor code, too lean, O2 sensor, or whatever only tells you that sensor isn't reading what it is supposed to and narrows down the troubleshooting steps.

Threadjack--unrelated to the OP, but a boring anecdote to illustrate... My friend had a O2 sensor code on an S-10 quite a few years ago and spent a couple hundred bucks (I imagine) on replacing O2 sensors (I can't remember, but I think it had more than one), and he still had the code (back then we went to Autozone to get the codes read). We were poor college kids, so that was a big deal. He told me the story, so I went to take a look and I noticed his intake had pulled off the bottom, past the MAF. We straightened the connection out and it fixed the problem and the code eventually cleared on its own.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In case someone is interested. No idea how it happened. But my engine flooded somehow when I was resetting the ecm. Went to work before starting the car checked and smelled the oil. And sure enough. It stunk. Did an oil change in the parking lot. ( love my job ) and she fired right up. No issues. No misfires. Kinda lucky there. Doing oil and filter today again.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,183 Posts
Huh?

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
In case someone is interested. No idea how it happened. But my engine flooded somehow when I was resetting the ecm. Went to work before starting the car checked and smelled the oil. And sure enough. It stunk. Did an oil change in the parking lot. ( love my job ) and she fired right up. No issues. No misfires. Kinda lucky there. Doing oil and filter today again.
Wut?

View attachment 300409

·
Registered
2008 CTS
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Listen man I know. It doesn't make sense. But trust me thts how it happened. Removed ecm fuse. Waited. Replaced. Turn key on for a minute _ turned off. Tried to start car and it wouldn't start. Of course I tried a few times. Without pressing the gas. And found out the cause the next morning. I don't get it either.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
But my engine flooded somehow when I was resetting the ecm. Went to work before starting the car checked and smelled the oil. And sure enough. It stunk. Did an oil change in the parking lot. ( love my job ) and she fired right up.
Not calling you out, just don't understand how you get from smelling oil to diagnosing a (fi/di) flooded engine. Or how changing the oil somehow fixes it.
It is GM engineering, so anything is possible. Glad everything is fine now.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well. I stopped trying to start the car that night. Left it sitting at work over night. Someone actually mentioned that it sounded like the engine flooded when it failed to start a few times. He suggested to smell the oil to see if there was gas in it. And that it wouldn't be safe to run it if there was. And it stunk. The oil was super thin too. Stunk like gas. I guess if I had tried to run it it peoba ly would have without an oil change but we all know thts wouldnt be good. So no the oil change didn't fix the problem I guess. My question. Is how could that happen in the first place ?..

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Could be a faulty fuel injector or cylinder misfire. Good thing you changed the oil. Oil thinned by fuel can lead to major trouble. I'm no expert, but if it were my car I'd have the dealership look into it.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So. It happened again this morning. I got it towed to the garage. I had the engine hot ac off alarm again. Tried to to reset alarm so that my fans wouldn't run all the time and once I tried to Start it did the same thing. I'm fairly sure it may have to so with my MAF. Maybe it failed high and it's screwing up things. I guess I'll wait for garage to call.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Strong gas smell/gas in the oil again? Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm going to assume. Same as before. Same symptoms so my guess is gas in the oil again. Will post back. It has to be the MAF sensor sending bad info to ECM. Anyways. Will post back.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,183 Posts
This sucks. Keep us in the loop.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK. So. As I suspected. And kinda guessed. The MAF sensor failed in such a way that it was causing my engine flood problem. Dealer has replaced it. They also said that the air intake temp readings were -40. Very weird if you ask me

·
Registered
14,183 Posts
Price? or Warranty?

·
Registered
2008 CTS
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ya I wish warranty. And I wish I would have done it myself. I can pick up a maf sensor from rockauto for about 90 BKS. Shipped to Canada. And I'm getting boned around 250 for one. Ridiculous. At least I will get 15% discount on labour due to some work perks. I've also insisted on an oil change so another 100 ( which I totally don't mind ). Its the price on parts that infuriate me. I have no clue how the Canadian market gets away with rapping ppl like this. Anyways. Life goes on.

·
Registered
14,183 Posts
It's not just confined to Canada, my northern friend.

By the way, go Lightning! Sweep those Habs!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts