Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Cadillac sts , v8
Today I was warming up car and around 2 minutes of idling the car shut off , and gave the message , "Starting disabled throttle problem"
The service engine soon light stayed on as well as the traction control light.
Car would not even attempt to restart (btw my car is push button start)
I then took the negative terminal off battery and waited a couple of minutes, reconnected it and started car again .
Car seems to run and idle fine, so took it out for a drive , everything seemed to be fine, when I pulled back in to driveway, i let it idle for a minute or two, and it did it again.
Can someone please explain this to me what the possible reasons that this is happening

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,055 Posts
There is a problem with the electronic throttle. It is not responding as commanded. Because the traction control uses the electronic throttle as part of its function it also has suspended operation. You'll probably have to be towed to a dealer and pay through the nose on this one.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a problem with the electronic throttle. It is not responding as commanded. Because the traction control uses the electronic throttle as part of its function it also has suspended operation. You'll probably have to be towed to a dealer and pay through the nose on this one.
It only happens when not in gear and idling for more than a minute, I sat in drive for 10 minutes and nothing happened

·
Registered
2008 STS Northstar RWD, 2000 Trans Am WS6 6 spd, 1968 LeMans convertible 6.6
256 Posts
Yes I would try a throttle body first and see what happens. A lot cheaper to try that than give up and go to the dealer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya , very strange, because took car out again today, and had no issues at all ,
Could it be a dirty throttle body that did this ?
Also, are the sensors on the throttle body itself or somewhere else?
Does anyone know of a video replacing it on an 8 cylinder?
Seen one on a 6.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's too easy to replace, probably a 15 minute job. Pretty much all the sensors are part of the throttle body
Thanks for the info 👍 Its weird how it only stalls when idling in park or neutral, even sitting in gear intraffic barely moving it doesnt shut off

·
Premium Member
29,055 Posts
Unplug the cable from the throttle body, squirt it with some contact cleaner, and replace it. The contacts are known unreliable.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is strange. Did you check the CEL?
Well it happened again today, first time in over 2 months.
Didnt change throttle body, just cleaned it , and the connector.
Thought I fixed the problem .
Got code p0601.
According to internet it says bad pcm.
My question is , if the pcm is bad, why did it work fine for 2 months after first incident.
Wondering if it is the throttle control actuator.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sounds like the PCM is having issues. Usually a P06XX is an internal PCM failure.

·
Premium Member
29,055 Posts
Every time I have encountered this problem it's a connector on the throttle body but it usually occurs in extreme cold weather. I fixed mine by manipulating the tension on the pins in the connector with a sharp machinist scribe to improve contact pressure. I remember one winter when about every new GM car in town, at the first cold snap, was lined up in front of their respective dealers, all with a similar problem.

·
Registered
08 STS 1SG HUD ACC F55 AWD, 08 STS 1SG Platinum HUD ACC F55 RWD
480 Posts
Listen to dkoz. It is a wiring/connector problem. Good Luck

·
Registered
256 Posts
Every time I have encountered this problem it's a connector on the throttle body but it usually occurs in extreme cold weather. I fixed mine by manipulating the tension on the pins in the connector with a sharp machinist scribe to improve contact pressure. I remember one winter when about every new GM car in town, at the first cold snap, was lined up in front of their respective dealers, all with a similar problem.
Specifically for P0601? And that being the only code? I've never seen a throttle body cause this code, guess you learn something every day. I will check this next time I have a car in the shop only for P0601

1 - 17 of 17 Posts