Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently in another thread, JWalker mentioned that the stamped rocker systems leave you losing a bit of valve lift. I, being the El Cheapo that I am, tried to use one of these systems on my 425 project. At first I thought the low valve lift that I was measuring was due to the fact that I needed a different length attachment for my dial indicator to line it up properly with the valve stem. Well, now I have said attachment and the valve lift is still pitifully low! About .100" low. That's way too much for my liking so I'm returning the rockers and going for the cast system instead. It's more money, but nobody steals my lift and gets away with it! Just thought I'd let anyone out there considering using these rockers know what's up with them. They are advertised as 1.7:1 ratio but measure in at more like 1.45:1. Now I just hope I still have the right piston to valve clearance with the increase in lift.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
I'm seriously concidering putting my stamped set on eBay and going with the cast set-up also. They're an improvement over the stock rockers but not very good from a performance standpoint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just sending mine back to Al at MTS and getting the cast version from him. Did you notice a lack of lift also? Or you're taking our words for it and that's enough for you. I wish I'd have known about this before I got involved with them.But then, I know some men I could say the same thing about. :annoyed:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
Angela Desmond said:
I'm just sending mine back to Al at MTS and getting the cast version from him. Did you notice a lack of lift also? Or you're taking our words for it and that's enough for you. I wish I'd have known about this before I got involved with them.But then, I know some men I could say the same thing about. :annoyed:
I didn't measure anything......just going off what I've heard and read. I was told that the cast ratio would work much better with my cam.

BTW.....not all men are bad.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really pays to do your homework, doesn't it! I know not all guys are bad. I figure men are like engines. Some are really strong, but use up lots of gas and need lots of maintainance, some are weak, but get good milage; some are new and need to be broken in; some are old but still run great and strong; some are fun to drive and some are a drag; and some just don't work right from the moment they're assembled to the moment you give it the heave-ho.... :D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
Angela Desmond said:
Really pays to do your homework, doesn't it! I know not all guys are bad. I figure men are like engines. Some are really strong, but use up lots of gas and need lots of maintainance, some are weak, but get good milage; some are new and need to be broken in; some are old but still run great and strong; some are fun to drive and some are a drag; and some just don't work right from the moment they're assembled to the moment you give it the heave-ho.... :D
:histeric:

I guess the same could be said about some females.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
Angela Desmond said:
. Now I just hope I still have the right piston to valve clearance with the increase in lift.
do you have the engine yourself or is someone else assembling it for you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Hi,

If my research is correct, Two "other" engine rocker can be adapted to the big Caddy;

1) A Buick rocker (Probably the Stamped one talked about) And this is the one with less ratio then orginal better at RPM

2) The Ford 352 - 390 (FE) engine rockers are shaft design and adaptable to the Caddy (I believe these are Cast Rockers with a higher then stock ratio.

Then there's the Custom built $1,000 type

I would be interested to see if anyone has modified the Ford rockers

Thanks,

Mark --
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
4 Participants
Angela Desmond
Top