Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive my STS pretty hard and somtimes when come to a stop it will sputter or die.

I'm told that this might be faulty crank sensors? Any one have a similar problem?

·
Registered
54 Posts
My 95 was doing that at times, and code was EGR. Changed EGR (had already cleaned it a couple times) and so far no problem. Good Luck

·
Registered
1993 Eldo 4.9 66K miles
368 Posts
rob34 said:
I drive my STS pretty hard and somtimes when come to a stop it will sputter or die.

I'm told that this might be faulty crank sensors? Any one have a similar problem?
Codes?

·
Registered
2013 XTS Premium, 2016 Acadia Denali
323 Posts
More than likely bad crank sensor. Had this problem last year, and had dealer replace. Now, now more stalls.

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
There are a number of things it could be. Check your codes first, like Nicky said. There are codes for egr, there are codes for CPSensors.

What year vehicle is it?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS
50 Posts
Yes it could be the crank sensor but don't rule out the TCC PWM Solenoid. If it fails to unlock the Torque Convertor it will drag the RPM's down to a point during a stop that the engine will stall.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I am pretty sure that the way the clutches are configured in a 4T80 that even if the TCC is stuck on it won't kill the car.
Only two production transmissions are affected by this phenomenon, one was the old TH 125, or what is now referred to as the 3T40.
I think the other one was an electronic version of the 700.

Crank sensors are pretty common but usually accompanied by some codes, P0385, P0335, P0336, or something close to that.
If you can get under to see the crank sensors make sure the top one is gray. If it's tan, you need to replace them anyway. Replace them both.

EGR is also common, I think sometimes you'll get a P1404 or something along those lines.
The pintle sometimes sticks open causing an internal vacuum leak and the computer doesn't make the idle air adjustment fast enough.

As stated, this does depend on your cars year of manufacture.

·
Registered
Cadillac DTS 2009 / F150 lariat 2006 / 2019 CT6 AWD 3.0tt Super cruise
33 Posts
:thumbsup: I had this same problem about a month ago. I would slow down at a light and the car would studder and stall. Went to the dealer and told them it stalls at a light when I slow down. They came back and said my cam sensors were bad they changed them (under warranty) for my 01 STS car has been fine after changing them..

Ketcha L8A Mike

·
Registered
1993 ETC, 2000 DHS
59 Posts
Check the Idle-Speed Motor (Solenoid). This was my problem when I had your symptoms on my Northstar. Replacement is basically not difficult but made nasty by the location of the small mounting screws and nuts. Keep a magnet handy!

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
Jimbad said:
Check the Idle-Speed Motor (Solenoid). This was my problem when I had your symptoms on my Northstar. Replacement is basically not difficult but made nasty by the location of the small mounting screws and nuts. Keep a magnet handy!
That depends on what year his car is. Newer Northstars use an Idle Air Control (IAC) system rather than the Idle Speed Control motor. The difference is the newer IAC is a variable air bypass valve straddling the throttle blade that is always fully closed at idle. The ISC system is a servo motor that forces the throttle blade open at varying degrees to control idle speed. The IAC is a little more accurate and seems to be more reliable than the ISC servo motors, probably because it doesn't have to fight against the throttle return spring. I think the cutoff year is 1996. Anything '96 or newer uses the IAC system.

The questions for Rob34 are what year is your car and does the car idle normally if it doesn't stall? Is there any hesitation as you accelerate or at highway speeds? Have you ever cleaned the throttle body? Does the accelerator seem to stick a little bit? Do you hear any clicking or whirring noises under the hood when you turn on the ignition or turn off the engine?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It' 98 sorry for the lack of info.

The car does idle a little strange, seems a little weak at times.

I recently put on a new (sighlty used) intake with throttle body and injectors, so I doubt thats it. (problem happened before and after)

Thanks for all the responses, I bought some crank sensors for $113 for the pair.

I'll update this and let you know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sorry for the delay in updating....

It hasn't happened since I put the sensors in about 3 months ago.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Interesting, all the previous incidences of this I have come across have been in MY2000 and newer Sevilles up to 2002 I believe. My car has been occasionally stalling at stoplights and setting a code for the ridiculously obvious "Engine stall or near stall detected".

I figured in a 98 it would probably be something different.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts