Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 2 questions and am looking for some help. this weekend i bought a 92 sts with 85k miles. the engine ran strong all the way home, abt 400 miles but when i started it last night i was idling in the driveway and the car just stopped runnning, i was just outside tonight and it did the same thing. the "system monitor" reports that everything checks out fine but i do not know if there is something that i am missing. it has been raining all day but i would not think that it has really gotten into the engine compartment too much. the car does not seem to be missing and both time when i was driving i did not notice any problems.

my second question is that there seems to be a grinding/humming/rubbing sound coming from the drivers side front whell. the noise is louder when i turn to the left is is considerably better when you turn to the right. i am guessing a wheel hub bearing but am not sure. i am going to take it to a mechanic but wonder if there are any other commen problems? the book shows that the car has gotten all the regular maintenance. i really appreciate any help you guys can give.

·
Registered
80 Posts
ek,
The problem may be the idle speed controller motor. You should check the onboard codes to see if any are set. The instructions are in the tech section here somewhere.

I had the same grinding noise you reported in my right front exactly as you described. I checked and the shop that balanced and rotated my tires left the lug nuts loose. Check these and maybe your problem can be fixed easily.

Let me know if you need help with accessing the codes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i pulled the codes and came up with the following:
E052 history
E062 history
A048 Current
R026 history
i followed the procedures to clear the codes but when i drove today at a stop light the car died. how can you check the idle thing?

i also found the grinding/humming was the wheel bearing like i thought. i am picking up a new one this afternoon. thanks for the help.

eric

·
Registered
80 Posts
E052 history-loss of power to the ECM (probably Ok if battery was disconnected)
E062 history-problem with vacuum solenoid on cruise control
A048 Current-Low Refrigerant
R026 history-Open short in Steering column circuit (for airbag).

Looks like none of these deal with the idle speed controller motor. You may want to check the EGR valve as it may need cleaning.

FYI, you cannot purchase just the wheel bearings. You have to purchase the hub assembly. If I remember correctly it is about $200-$250.

Good luck.
Regards

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help. i got the bearing assembly yesterday and will replace it tomorrow. the car keeps dying on me and running very poorly ie sounds like it is missing and a poor idle. the car does run strong under acceleration though. i also noticed this morning that the gas mileage is horrible, abt 8 mpg. where is the egr located? how is it cleaned? help

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
ekvisto said:
thanks for the help. i got the bearing assembly yesterday and will replace it tomorrow. the car keeps dying on me and running very poorly ie sounds like it is missing and a poor idle. the car does run strong under acceleration though. i also noticed this morning that the gas mileage is horrible, abt 8 mpg. where is the egr located? how is it cleaned? help
Hey check out my thread about problems it might help ytou out.

also do an idle learn procedure
http://www.caddyinfo.com/idlelearn.htm

This thread is about "tuning" up my 92 eldo pretty much same as your car
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4464

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
josh,

thanks for the links. i am just getting more confused. today the car stalled again at a stop light but then ran great all the way to work, 25 miles. i had cleared the codes earlier and the only things that came up were the ac code, which i know and e062 hx. the thing that i have learned is that the emergency brake release is not working you have to do it manually. i think i say this mentioned as possibly being related to a vacuum leak, whch may correspond with a vacuum selinoid code that the car had before related to the cruise. is there any idea where the vacuum lines typically are for the parking brake?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
ekvisto said:
josh,

thanks for the links. i am just getting more confused. today the car stalled again at a stop light but then ran great all the way to work, 25 miles. i had cleared the codes earlier and the only things that came up were the ac code, which i know and e062 hx. the thing that i have learned is that the emergency brake release is not working you have to do it manually. i think i say this mentioned as possibly being related to a vacuum leak, whch may correspond with a vacuum selinoid code that the car had before related to the cruise. is there any idea where the vacuum lines typically are for the parking brake?
Check near the ebrake that is all i can tell you. I am trying to fix mine on saturday

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
happened again. this time i have a i034, loss of powertrain control module data code. does this mean anything to anyone?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
anyone know where the iscm is located. it is going to be my first shot as the idle in the car is over 2k.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
3 Participants
ekvisto