Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Seville STS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 94 Seville STS was getting a Code P083 (Crankshaft to Ignition Module Failure) intermittently over last two months. Only symptom was an occasional rough start but it was in fact starting each time. The service engine light would only come on when there was a rough start but the service light went off on next start up and code into history. Based on the threads here I have ordered a new Ignition Control Module from Rock Auto.

In the last few days I have encountered stalling after start up and occasionally stalling while driving. I then have to pull over and place in Park and restart. The codes that were initiated after this additional set of symptoms were:

P031 Shorted MAP Sensor - history
P032 Open MAP Sensor Signal- current and then history
P053 Distributor Signal Interrupt - history
P071 Intermittent MAP Signal - history
P083 Crankshaft to Ignition Module Failure - current and then history (seems more susceptible when hot engine and hot weather)
P095 Engine Stall Detected

Can Ranger and the rest of the fine Caddy Brain trust help me diagnose here? I am hoping that the brand new ICM may solve the bulk of the issues. I know P095 is self explanatory but are the MAP codes appearing as a consequence of the other problems? Is a MAP Sensor issue being identified completely independent of the issues caused by a bad ICM? Should the MAP sensor be changed out no matter what or do I have the ICM changed and see whether the rest of the issues disappear? Is the Distributor Signal Interrupt connected to the ICM issue or the MAP or both?

Thanks to Ranger and everyone else in advance. I know it is an older car and a money pit but it has been in the family from day 1.

·
Registered
1994 Seville STS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ranger. Are the two CKP sensors (B ansd A) different model parts? Also are they easily accessible and not a problem tom change?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Yes, each sensor has a different part number.

No, they are not particularly easy to change. There's not all that much space to work.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Yeah, space it tight. You'll have top drop the lower air deflector and then remove the oil filter adapter (neither of which is difficult). You'll need a long extension (12" would do) and a universal joint. 3/8 drive will work, but 1/4 is better.

You can see why removing the oil filter adapter is necessary in this picture.
P.S.
You may or may not have the two oil cooler hoses on the oil filter adapter.

·
Registered
1994 Seville STS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your photos Ranger. You are most helpful.

I have ordered two Crank Position Sensors from Rock Auto. Because I have also been getting current codes for the MAP issues I bought a new MAP sensor as well. Is the procedure to change out MAP sensor difficult?

·
Registered
1994 Seville STS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks again Ranger for your quick responses. Can the MAP and ICM be changed out without any mechanical expertise. I know I will need to get help on the replacement of the two Crank Position Sensors because of the tight space but I would love to save money and replace the ICM and MAP Sensor myself.

On the ICM is there any conductive fluid that needs to be put on the bottom surface?

On the MAP is it just a bunch of bolts out and back in? Or will there be gaskets involved? Any tightness of bolts required?

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
The MAP & ICM are pretty straight forward.

No fluids involved with the ICM. Just a hidden mounting bolt on the back side that requires the Braille method to R & R.

On the manifold cover I believe there are just a series of perimeter bolts. Gasket should be reusable, but there are rubber grommets that require the proper torque. You DO NOT want to crush them. They provide an over pressurization relief. In the event of a backfire, the manifold cover lifts slightly to relieve manifold pressure. Torque it down ting and you defeat that safety feature.

I believe the grommet is visible on #46

·
Registered
1994 Seville STS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The MAP & ICM are pretty straight forward.

No fluids involved with the ICM. Just a hidden mounting bolt on the back side that requires the Braille method to R & R.

On the manifold cover I believe there are just a series of perimeter bolts. Gasket should be reusable, but there are rubber grommets that require the proper torque. You DO NOT want to crush them. They provide an over pressurization relief. In the event of a backfire, the manifold cover lifts slightly to relieve manifold pressure. Torque it down ting and you defeat that safety feature.

I believe the grommet is visible on #46

I got the codes fixed by changing out the ICM, the two Crank sensors and the MAP sensor. But in doing the job learned that two of the grommets are missing, two of the grommets are crushed and two of the Intake Manifold cover bolts are non-standard.

Ranger and others where can I source four OEM grommets and two OEM bolts? I gather the part no. 17113144, Bolt kit is pretty much unavailable. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts
Long shot - but try Chris in parts at Rippy Cadillac tomorrow morning.

Either up ^^^ in Vendors or over there in the ad bar >>>>>

·
1995 SLS
65 Posts
I have p083 crankshaft to ignition module failure and I need to know if the icm was the problem because I've done spark plugs,wires,crank sensors,can sensor, swapped coils and swapped icm from men's mall but still getting a misfire when I go into dtc on dashboard I shut down injectors on all cylinders and number 7 doesn't fluctuate rpm and I wanna know what that means and if that has something to do with my p083

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
I shut down injectors on all cylinders and number 7 doesn't fluctuate rpm and I wanna know what that means
Seems like that injector may not be operating.
I don't think a malfunctioning injector would set a P083 code.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts
P 083 is a 24X reference signal high code. Maybe a connector/pin problem. Check the ICM ground cable. If shutting off injector #7 makes no engine speed difference then maybe there's no spark at 7. Plug wires connected correctly?

Open this and scroll down to the 4.6 engine code table.

Northstar Waste Spark Ignition System.gif

·
1995 SLS
65 Posts
I have 8 reman injectors and spark plug wires are correct,also I have replaced the icm ground cable with a thicker cable also I just put in 41-950 plugs still have misfire with new crank sensors and cam sensor. so the connector/pin problem is what you think is causing the p083 and not the injectors

1 - 18 of 18 Posts