Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond
1,848 Posts
2011 CTS Wagon Premium, so no recall for me. Just scary unreliability.
I still have them check it. The symptoms sounds just like the recalls.

·
Registered
10 Posts
And add my 2011 CTS AWD Premium edition. It has 47000 miles, still under factory warranty. It has died on me three different times in about 4 weeks time. It happens when I am coasting to a four way stop. When I apply the brakes I notice I have no power, no steering, unless I do it all by muscle. Very scary. Happens in the same spot each time. I have had it in to the dealership for over 48 days total. I get codes of CO561, CO242, and CO131. One time, there was no code at all. They replaced the transfer case clutch and transfer case resistor, but it died again. Then they suggested it might be the gas. I always use BP gas. They checked for build up, and came up with nothing. They have kept it to drive, trying to repeat the event with no luck. They put the big computer diagnostic piece on it, but they cannot get it to repeat the event.

Add to this, the fact that 8 out of the last 15 Onstar reports show service needed on the stabilitrak AND antilock brake systems, but when I take it in to check, they find nothing wrong! Yeah, I feel safe.....

The GM regional engineer came out to look, and basically thru up his hands. I offered, a month ago, for them to let me drive it with the big computer diagnostic piece but they said no, it was too expensive an item and I wouldn't know how to operate it (sexist comment, I am a blonde female). Yesterday, they wanted to simply return the car to me, and get their loaner back. I told them I didn't want it back if it wasn't fixed. It isn't safe to drive. Then they said they would like to come out and drive the exact route I take to see if it would die on them. I asked them how many days they were going to commit to doing that, because it's such a random thing, and the phone went silent. Then they offered for me to use the diagnostic piece myself, and I could not believe it. I said, "Seriously? I tried to do that a month ago!!" Then I told them how I had been reading all these forums and how one guy actually used the diagnostic computer and when the car died, it didn't even record the event, so I wasn't convinced that was a good route to take.

They admitted that they weren't doubting that it was happening, but that they really didn't know what else to do. I know they are only the dealership, handling problems for GM, so I suggested a buy back was in order. They said they would have to get with the regional GM rep to discuss that. I asked if I could get a simple refund, and they said I could possibly trade for another car, a newer model, and I would have to pay the difference! (Keep in mind my car is still under warranty.)

Since this dealership is one of several under one huge family name in my area, asked if I could use my car as a trade for another make, and they said no, it has to be GM. I said I didn't want another GM car, ever. And they added, there would be a use allowance that would have to be considered since I had so many miles on the car. They said they would take the mileage, divide by 100,000, and that percentage would be multiplied against the sales price of the car and that number would be deducted from the original sales price to get a number they would possibly buy the car for. (Research into the Magnuson-Moss Act shows this to be the case.) But since when is a car worthless at 100,000 miles? Maybe back in the 80's, when getting over 100,000 miles was an accomplishment. My last car had 260,000 on it and still sold it for $4000. Maybe they should fix that part of the law. Cars today are not worthless at 100,000 miles. Well, maybe Cadillacs...

Here's my question: Has anyone gone thru this to this point, and how did it end up? I am worried they are going to low ball me and leave me no choice. They are supposed to get back with me tomorrow. Could/should I expect a replacement vehicle since it is under warranty?

The other issue is that all these trips to the dealership is killing my carfax report. It says "checked car for drivability". I would not want to trade it in, thinking someone else would end up with it, and possibly get killed, but I may have to go that route to get out from under it, Yet, if someone sees that on the report, it may cause a red flag and hurt the value. Right now, it says the car is worth $600 more than average. Hey, maybe all these trips to the dealer adds value! In any event, I think they are beginning to realize I may be blonde, and female, and look like I was born at night, but I wasn't born last night. Advice appreciated....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
According to the law, my car does not fit. It has to occur within the first 18 months, or 18,000 miles, which ever comes first. I am well beyond that. At this point, the Magnuson Moss Act, which covers items under warranty valued over $25, may be an option, but I have just been doing research online, and don't see much about how cars are valued under such conditions, or traded, or bought back. If it was a cell phone that didn't work, I could probably be assured of a new one. I am trying to find others who have experienced a similar situation as mine. Most everything I find just tells of stories where the dealership drags on and on, or they claim they can't make a decision without the higher-ups getting involved, until the owner gives up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,391 Posts
Do our cars have an Idle Air Control valve like the earlier days of fuel injection....I never looked to see. If so, that could be the cause. A sticking IAC valve will cause an intermittent stalling like this.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts