Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a strange and alarming occurrence today. We were leaving a shopping center and our CTS just stalled in the middle of the road.

What was discerning was that it takes a few seconds to recognize what has happened, and react that you need to go to park and brake to restart.
I would hate to have this happen while making a maneuver in traffic.

I know the CTS uses "drive by wire" however one thing that I've observed is that the idle RPM's seem to be very low.

Has anyone else had this experience?

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS 3.6DI 2009, Black Raven
26 Posts
I have the same problem also since day 1 when i got my car, it's a 3.6DI CTS RWD, sometimes i feel that while cruising the engine starts to loose power or hesitate for a few seconds then i have to accelerate more to avoid it to shake more due of power loss.

I took it to my dealer but the problem is that they could not replicate the issue.
so i guess i have to wait till GM issues a TSB if they could find enough complains.

·
Registered
2009 CTS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scary stuff.

The problem with the dealer service departments is that they don't have a way to report customer observed problems.

I can understand that they don't have solutions at hand but they should have a way to report complaints that can be compiled and analyzed.

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
I have also had this problem since new and I have the base engine. The biggest issue I have is that the car is so quiet you don't realize there is a problem until you notice everyone else moving and you aren't. I sympathize with the dealer; if they can't duplicate it, they don't know what to fix, but surely there are certain things that would be common to problem such as this.

·
Registered
2014 SRX Premium w/20" chrome
481 Posts
Shouldn't an Error or Fault code automatically be entered in the ECM so the tech can retreive the information?

·
Registered
2009 CTS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If this happens again, I''l head for the dealership and hope they can see an error code.

·
Registered
Cadillac
13 Posts
Same thing happened to me at least 2 times since purchasing my car and the dealer said they could not find anything

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony
798 Posts
I had my car almost stall once at a stop, but then it never happened again (at least that I noticed). Anyway, I'll be curious to see if someone has it fixed. I kind of suspect it has to do with these modern cars being pushed to the edge of efficiency (both fuel usage & emissions).

·
Registered
Cadillac 08CTS Hot Lava 3.6DI RWD special edition
74 Posts
You guys using crappy gasoline? I doubt it but curious... If you use Shell maybe it is the new "Nitrogen enriched"

I know I got a bad tank in my 05 Envoy, (not Shell tho, it was Exxon :want:) ran like crap for months until it flushed out...Would die with the A/C on at idle.

Caddy has had no issues.

·
Registered
26 Posts
We don't have crappy Gasoline here in Bahrain, i use the best unleaded fuel.

Also when it happens there is not check engine light or any info logged in the ECM that they can detect, i even connected my OBD II scan tool while driving but it did not log any error.

I think it is something with the RPM regulator that drops during driving for a few seconds.

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Although probably not related, I have noticed a power loss issue that I think is programmed in. With the pot-holed roads, bumps, road gravel and sand around here (Long Island), I can kick in traction control when taking even a sedate turn. This leads to a cut in engine power that feels like the engine is dying, but after a momentary hesitation the power returns, probably after the system notes that tires are no longer slipping.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It was not the traction control kicking it, i was driving at cruise speed on the highway and there are not pot holes there but yet happened.

·
Registered
CTS
28 Posts
Although probably not related, I have noticed a power loss issue that I think is programmed in. With the pot-holed roads, bumps, road gravel and sand around here (Long Island), I can kick in traction control when taking even a sedate turn. This leads to a cut in engine power that feels like the engine is dying, but after a momentary hesitation the power returns, probably after the system notes that tires are no longer slipping.
Well, add my 09 AWD 3.6DI to the list. I was trying to enter traffic quickly making a 90 degree right turn. The traffic to my left had just gotten a green lignt. After the car turned, I lost all or most of the power. It returned after I let off the accelerator with the engine still running (but not before a BMW got ahead of me). Fortunately I had room on the shoulder to solve my problem. After thinking about this, I think that in my case at least, it was the stabilitrack thinking that the rear was slipping and reducing power accordingly. At a different corner, I tried to duplicate it again, but no problem this time. I had a half tank of gas, by the way.
Any thoughts? PS. I love this car.

·
Registered
2009 FE3 CTS
92 Posts
I had a similar hesitation not long after I picked up the car from the Dealer that I was moving slowly near a yield and tried to accelerate quickly in a gap only to have nothing happen for about 2 seconds. I did the procedure in the manual to set the drive by wire after losing battery power (as someone from this site mentioned, even though since I had the car it did not lose battery power) and it has been perfect since. Never any hesitation at all. Worth trying to see if it helps for others.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
112 Posts
Well, add my 09 AWD 3.6DI to the list. I was trying to enter traffic quickly making a 90 degree right turn. The traffic to my left had just gotten a green lignt. After the car turned, I lost all or most of the power. It returned after I let off the accelerator with the engine still running (but not before a BMW got ahead of me). Fortunately I had room on the shoulder to solve my problem. After thinking about this, I think that in my case at least, it was the stabilitrack thinking that the rear was slipping and reducing power accordingly. At a different corner, I tried to duplicate it again, but no problem this time. I had a half tank of gas, by the way.
Any thoughts? PS. I love this car.
I've had this happen a couple times too. Always been the traction control in my case. I turn sharp 90 degree right turn, one of the tires slips a little and the TC kicks in draining all power for a couple seconds. Sucks when you are entering a busy road. I don't believe this is the original poster's problem, because the car doesn't actually stall...just won't let you accelerate until it believes the wheel has regained traction. Barely happens, but it's doing what it thinks it's supposed to when it does it, so I don't consider it a problem.

I'm not sure about stalling problem, but I'd try resetting the electronic throttle (couldn't hurt).

Re: Throttle problem???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fritze 18, you are absolutely correct. Each time there has been a power loss, the electronic throttle control must be recalibrated. Real easy to do. Go to page 5-44 (08 owners manuel 09 should the same)bottom left of page under battery. There are 4 easy steps to follow. It does make a different after it is done. I do mind once a month even tho it may not need it. If you don't feel comformable about doing it yourself, carry it to your dealer

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the same problems twice at 60 mph in the left lane. Not cool. Contrary to the thought that you could shift to neutral adn restart, the car insisted on shiftign to park and placing foot on brake. Really not cool in the left lane, especially with a barrier wall adn no shoulder.

The car went to the dealer twice. First time they tweaked an onboard computer per a service bulletin. The day after I got the car back it did it again. I immediately took it back and the tech actually drove it home and it did the same to him. He was able to replicate the problem up on the rack and determined that the problem was in the ignition switch and related wiring harness. As you might have seen in another thread it took six weeks to get the parts but I picked it up yesterday and I now have about 60 miles with no issue. Hopefully this solved teh problem but I will post if it reoccurs.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Wgn 3.6 AWD Prem
24 Posts
I just had this happen today. Driving along and as I approached a stop sign the steering got really heavy. At first I thought the power steering went, but then when I tried to use the brakes I realized something was really wrong. If another car had been in front of me we definitely would have hit. Once the car was stopped, I did an assessment and realized the engine wasn't running. Only indication was the rev counter. After shifting to park, I was able to restart and continue on my way. If my wife has been driving she would have ended up in a head on collision because she wouldn't have been able to move the steering wheel. Going to dealer next week because they don't have a loaner available.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,429 Posts
What car do you own? MY? Model?

There is a recall for the ignition switch in the works...did you know?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts