Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on changing out my exhaust with a header back system for my 09 V, I initially thought Kooks was the way to go but after doing a little research, stainless works also has a nice system!
Does anybody have experience with either?

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,155 Posts

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
I'm sure BigJim's set up sounded great. I personally like SW. Too bad it wasn't available for V coupés when I was looking.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Damn spell check. Must be a European programme.

·
Registered
2009 CTS V
8 Posts
I have kooks headers and stock mufflers. It has a nice throaty sound but when I hit it sometimes it sounds like the mufflers don't have enough escape. Still debating on putting corsa mufflers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bestia#1 said:
I have kooks headers and stock mufflers. It has a nice throaty sound but when I hit it sometimes it sounds like the mufflers don't have enough escape. Still debating on putting corsa mufflers.
Any reason behind your Choice of using Corsa?

----------

As far as build quality of the kooks headers has anybody had any issues with welds cracking or breaking?!?....I also have a Silverado SS that I put Eldlebrock headers on which had failed a few times, needless to say taking them out to re-weld them gets old after a while!

·
Registered
2009 CTS V
8 Posts
When I lived in Cali, D3 had a car with that set up and it had a nice low deep sound at idle and when you stepped on it, it was aggressive as hell. Still can't get over close to $2,000 for those mufflers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2011 CTS V Coupe Thunder Gray ChromaFlair
67 Posts
I have SW full exhauset (header, no cats and their "mufflers"). I love it. It sounds like a beast at idle with that deep throaty sound. The mufflers dont't really muffle very much, but I'm ok with that. I started out with their cat back system. i have a CAI so I could really hear that blower whine. Now with headers and no cats i cant really rear it anymore, which is disappointing. Only downfall I would say with SW is there is not central support on the exhaust. Headers bolted to the block and then your next support is at the rear bumper with the rubber hangers. I think I'm gonna have to fab my own hager for the middle of the exhaust so it doesnt move around under there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thegraham77 said:
I have SW full exhauset (header, no cats and their "mufflers"). I love it. It sounds like a beast at idle with that deep throaty sound. The mufflers dont't really muffle very much, but I'm ok with that. I started out with their cat back system. i have a CAI so I could really hear that blower whine. Now with headers and no cats i cant really rear it anymore, which is disappointing. Only downfall I would say with SW is there is not central support on the exhaust. Headers bolted to the block and then your next support is at the rear bumper with the rubber hangers. I think I'm gonna have to fab my own hager for the middle of the exhaust so it doesnt move around under there.
That's good to know! Sounds like what I'm looking for! I was wondering about the lack of a center support on that system when I was looking at it, didn't know if it would be an issue or not :-/

·
Registered
2011 CTS V Coupe Thunder Gray ChromaFlair
67 Posts
ja8ow

I had a buddy following me tell me that the mufflers were moving around a little bit. i havent noticed any bending or anything unusual under the car when i have it on the lift tho. i guess its better to be safe and make my own hanger than have something happen and my exhaust get all screwed up from movement. not sure why SW didnt just include a hanger that would bolt to the existing hole from the factory one. the SW is a larger diameter so it won't fit in the factory hanger that you will have to remove.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thegraham77 said:
ja8ow

I had a buddy following me tell me that the mufflers were moving around a little bit. i havent noticed any bending or anything unusual under the car when i have it on the lift tho. i guess its better to be safe and make my own hanger than have something happen and my exhaust get all screwed up from movement. not sure why SW didnt just include a hanger that would bolt to the existing hole from the factory one. the SW is a larger diameter so it won't fit in the factory hanger that you will have to remove.
Did you install the system yourself? Was it fairly painless if you did?

·
Registered
11 Black Diamond Edition CTS-V Coupe, 12 SRX, 18 Ridgeline RTL-E
182 Posts
IMG_0754a.jpg I put the SW Cat Back system on my 2011 Coupe, last Winter. It is still stored on the lift, in my garage. The road salt is not yet washed away well enough for me to get it out for the Summer.

The first day I installed it, and the second I readjusted it. Be aware that I tend to be more than a bit fussy about such things. The system ended up quite parallel to the drive shaft, but located about 1/8" toward the passenger side. The exhaust pipes are nicely tucked up into place. I do share the concern about support since the mufflers are held up by a pair of rubber hangers, where the OEM system used three pair. The SW system does weight less. I have not yet the weight difference, but plan to do so.

After the attached picture was taken, I fabricated a center "hanger" to use in place of the OEM one. Actually I just cut and drilled blocks to space the standard bracket further away from the body. That with longer bolts, about 4", did the job.

Overall, it is a nice installation. I look forward to soon experiencing the sound. Backed into the garage it does sound nasty.

Before someone asks, I haven't pulled it out because the wheels are still off. That not only protects the tires, but allow me to lift the coupe higher up so my Tundra fits under it.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Nice job! Would like to hear how your SW sounds sometime.

·
Registered
11 Black Diamond Edition CTS-V Coupe, 12 SRX, 18 Ridgeline RTL-E
182 Posts
Some of you may find this interesting.
In the image, above, of the SW exhaust on my coupe, you can see the radial arm saw in the back of the garage.
I mounted a solid state laser, which you can barely see, just above that saw such that it transmits a beam through the centerline of the lift.
I set up an RF control so that I can turn the laser on and off from inside my truck.
When pulling the truck in or out, I hang a translucent target with a vertical centerline from the rear view mirror.
Then I just steer the truck such that the laser spot stays near that vertical centerline to insure that the truck mirrors clear the lift columns.
There is only about 1 1/2 inches of clearance between mirror and post. It works well.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts