Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
05 PLATINUM CTS-V
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i finally got around to installing the 160 thermostat. needless to say i went and beat on the car and all i could muster up was a 176.. then i let it sit and idle in the driveway and it reached a scorching 179. ill let you know what it reaches tomorrow on my morning commute. i would definitely recommend this for anyone.

i will also add that i finished at midnight and its still above 90 outside right now..

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
So how hard was the swap?

·
Registered
05 PLATINUM CTS-V
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So how hard was the swap?
easy, all it takes is a 10mm socket and about 15 minutes. i put a giant fan on top of the motor for about 4 hours to make sure it was really cool. i bought a gallon of dexcool and used about about a half gallon of distilled water.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Ok where is the best place to order a 160° thermostat from? And is it the same as the corvette ones?

·
Registered
CTS-V
572 Posts
Linky for the 160 t-stat? Any vendors here have one?

Did you just reuse the gasket or does it come with one?

Do you have to have a tune? My stealth v tune is messed up so I'm running the stock PCM.

·
Registered
11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma
2,997 Posts
A tune is needed to take advantage of a cooler temp thermostat. If you send me a ecm we only charge $75 for the tunes on this car type. $160 if you want me to just ship out a whole different ecm and you get to keep your original one.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V
236 Posts
A tune is needed to take advantage of a cooler temp thermostat. If you send me a ecm we only charge $75 for the tunes on this car type. $160 if you want me to just ship out a whole different ecm and you get to keep your original one.
If we have a tune from you already, would we be able to take advantage of the 160tstat without a retune or would you have to modifiy the tune's fan settings even more?

·
Registered
4,455 Posts

·
Registered
05 PLATINUM CTS-V
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok where is the best place to order a 160° thermostat from? And is it the same as the corvette ones?
I got mine from a local LSx dyno shop. i paid $29 for it. I assume it's the same as the vette one because the guy I purchased it from said he has one in his vette

·
Registered
05 PLATINUM CTS-V
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
05 PLATINUM CTS-V
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Linky for the 160 t-stat? Any vendors here have one?

Did you just reuse the gasket or does it come with one?

Do you have to have a tune? My stealth v tune is messed up so I'm running the stock PCM.
comes with a new rubber o-ring. from what I hear you need the tune for the 160

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
74 Posts
Does using the 160 T-stat keep the car from going into open loop or closed loop, I can't remember which one?

Can the open/closed loop thing be tuned?

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
With a tune the car will be in closed loop. The stock vehicle wont fully be learning until it hits 176 degrees F. So i make it learn at about 150. An un tuned car with a 160 will have issues and wont be correct.
People with our tunes NEVER pay for updates for thier mods. You just cover the exact shipping costs. So if you have them, just send it back with a list of what you changed or more requests, and i set it up and ship them back out the same day for you. :D

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
74 Posts
With a tune the car will be in closed loop. The stock vehicle wont fully be learning until it hits 176 degrees F. So i make it learn at about 150. An un tuned car with a 160 will have issues and wont be correct.
People with our tunes NEVER pay for updates for thier mods. You just cover the exact shipping costs. So if you have them, just send it back with a list of what you changed or more requests, and i set it up and ship them back out the same day for you. :D
Thanks for the info. I use to have a 96 F-body with a 160 and it had problems. I will be getting in touch with you soon to get a tune for my V. I haven't got a CAI yet so I wanted to do that before I get a tune and now a 160 T-stat also.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I should be able to have the Tstats in stock for 35 shipped to your door for those that would want one for thier V.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V
236 Posts
I should be able to have the Tstats in stock for 35 shipped to your door for those that would want one for thier V.
what about if we already have a tune from you? would you still need the pcm back to make some changes?

·
Registered
04 CTS-V
935 Posts
i would assume yes since the car is learning at 176 instead of 150. and i'm sure there is another change to the tune or two.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I've heard a lot of mixed stories about switching to a cooler running engine especially on more modern LSx's. Anyone have anything concrete to show the benefits of this?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts