Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2010 DTS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead:
Has anyone replaced the steering wheel position sensor themselves? I’ve taken my car in to not one but 2 different dealerships on 3 occasions for the stability system being engaged. I’ve even pinpointed the position of the steering wheel when it triggers the stability system. Unfortunately, the dealerships can’t seem to recreate the problem. Even though 5 min after I get the car back, it gets set off again. I have the Helms Service manual for the procedure. I was just curious of any of you have actually done it. I am pretty hand but I don’t know if I want to mess with dropping the steering wheel column.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
:banghead:
Has anyone replaced the steering wheel position sensor themselves? I’ve taken my car in to not one but 2 different dealerships on 3 occasions for the stability system being engaged. I’ve even pinpointed the position of the steering wheel when it triggers the stability system. Unfortunately, the dealerships can’t seem to recreate the problem. Even though 5 min after I get the car back, it gets set off again. I have the Helms Service manual for the procedure. I was just curious of any of you have actually done it. I am pretty hand but I don’t know if I want to mess with dropping the steering wheel column.
The steering shaft has to be dropped as the sensor is mounted to that shaft. Not an easy DIY and the sensor is expensive.

Document your visits. The stabiltrac pulses various brakes like crazy. It actually pulled my car to another lane. Remind your dealer if you or your car are damaged that you hold them responsible and you have the records to prove they wouldn't fix it. Maybe that will get some action.

·
Registered
Cadillac
54 Posts
is there a way to disengage the stability system? maybe pulling a fuse somewhere or having the dealer disconnect it somehow....
Mine engages every 10 minutes. When i take it to the dealer ima ask for them to take the system offline. I foresee my and the service person bumping serious heads on this one.

·
Registered
2010 DTS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did ask about disabling the stability system. Basically what needs to be done is a re-program of the onboard computer. Your regular dealership WON’T do it cause of liability. I think I’m going to try and DIY it, if I have the correct sensor it’s priced at about $80.00 and is listed at taking .9hrs. This seems to be a little low even for a dealer. I think I’ll be able to measure the voltage on the sensor while it’s installed to see if there is a short somewhere along the steering wheel path. There is one special tool that’s required to pull the steering wheel:
http://www.etoolcart.com/browseproducts/Steering-Pivot-Pin-Puller-LIS19940.html

I’ll keep you posted as to what I decide. It’s already been over 6 months since I first started having the problem so I’m really not in a huge rush to get going on this. Probably after the long weekend.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
It can be done DIY, but there are some precautions you should take.
The most important one is to make sure that the steering wheel doesn't rotate while the column is out of the car.
If I keep plugging I can do it in less than an hour but you have to be careful and concentrate.
The column does have to come out of that car, which isn't as hard as you might think, but it can be tricky due to the way the dash is designed.

You can't really disable stabilitrak, it is integrated software that is part of the ABS system. The only way to disable it would cause the light to be on all the time anyway.

I can give you some tips on how to do it but I don't have time right now.
(see my message in the lounge)
I'll revisit this as soon as I can.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS Luxury Sport
516 Posts
is there a way to disengage the stability system? maybe pulling a fuse somewhere or having the dealer disconnect it somehow....
Mine engages every 10 minutes. When i take it to the dealer ima ask for them to take the system offline. I foresee my and the service person bumping serious heads on this one.
Why would anyone want to disable the stability system? If you have a warranty, they will replace the sensor for free. If you don't have a warranty, then bite the bullet and pay the money.
This is a safety feature. This feature will prove more useful to you than big wheels, chrome pillars, or even that nifty Cadillac baseball cap.:smack:

·
Registered
Cadillac
54 Posts
so much of a safety feature, that every few months i need to take it in to repair it. It more of a hazard that a safety feature when my accelerationis decreased or my brakes are smashed when there is no need for it. I live in california. Stabilitrack is absolutley useless here

·
Registered
2010 DTS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the SWPS being shipped to my house right now. I'm going to DIY it.
ewill3rd any tips and help would be greatly appreciated.

The stability system took out my breaks also. Of course, it was time to replace the pads and rotors anyway. This is the 2nd time I've had to fix the stability system. First time was a wire harness on the front driver's side shock. Still a good feature to have. Don't most cars have something similar these days?

·
Registered
Cadillac
54 Posts
I suspect my front brakes need replacing. Do you guys think the brakes may effect the stablity system? I dont think so because the sytem engages when i dont even press the brakes. Thanks for the input.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I am slammed at work, I'll try to make time to handle a few things like this over the holiday weekend.

Bad brakes shouldn't affect this Nosferatu.
There should be some codes set somewhere.

·
Registered
2010 DTS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:thumbsup:Well, I finally got the stability problem fixed. I decided to take it in and have the dealership do the labor (which of course they wanted to do a diagnostic on it also so they could charge me an extra $120). It entailed a little more than I was willing to take on. It cost me $150 in labor and a couple of restless nights wondering if I did the right thing by taking an educated guess on what was wrong. I now have my car back together in 1 piece.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V sedan
282 Posts
have you made a call to cadillac customer service?

If your car is under warr, and you have documentation that the dealer wouldn't do it, and you paid out of pocket and the problem is now gone, I would think thye would like to know about that... I would also hope they would get you the money you deserve back

1 - 17 of 17 Posts