Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a GM-certified 2004 CTS 3.6L two months ago, and during the two-month winter driving(Canada), I saw lots of stability system engaged messages poping up.

One month ago this was what happened,

At the time I thought it was just my bad luck, maybe due to the road condition, maybe it was because of my first rear wheel driving experience.

This week the freeway that I drive everyday is so dry and there's no way the stability system engaged message should come up at all and the car pulled to left obviously when it was being engaged. So I immediately checked the forum and found that I'm not the only one, but I think I am the first one who took the consequence of the issue and got it taped.

Here's another one, on 29s, the stability system was triggered for no reason and the car just pulled to left itself again, this time I saved it back.

I will go to the dealer this Friday and hear what they are going to say about that, I will keep you guys updated. However, I think GM has a huge/serious recall job ahead.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It should not be tire nor tire pressure, and unlikely the suspension but I am not sure.

Two sets of newer tires, and I checked tire pressure every week and the stability system engages all the time with both sets.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
This is starting to become a common occurence. I ask everyone, for the good of CTS owners everywhere, to report their experiences to the NHTSA. This is a major safety concern... GM/Cadillac still wont acknowledge that there are timing chain issues or diff issues. What are the chances that theyll just voluntarily take care of this?

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,819 Posts
My issue was when I had a malfunctioning steering wheel position sensor. As most of us know, this is a known issue.

What happened with me was when I turned around in a driveway to go the opposite direction. When I pulled out of the drive way to continue on my opposite journey. I must of turned the wheels too fast/far or what not. To where I received a message, it was over 2 years ago so I don't recall the message. But I do know that there was a problem with the steering wheel sensor, as I was scanned earlier that day at a Cadillac dealer. As I continued on my journey, I could not go any faster than 5mph. The front brakes kept on engaging by themselves. It would make sense that the message was "Stability System Engaged" at this point. It would seem that the brakes were engaging the front wheels one side at a time, and pulsing like the ABS was doing the work. Which I believe it does. And I never touched the brake pedal, the car was doing the braking itself.

I just cycled power and everything was fine. This was done while it was snowing, and the roads already had 4 or 5 inches down in PA. When I arrived back to CT the following week. I just let it go until I saw a message again which said to service the stability system. Made an appointment and had the steering wheel sensor replaced under warranty. With that being over 2 years ago, I have never had a problem since. *knock on wood*. Of course I've had the system engaged since then, but it was well with in reason for it to engage. Whether that be wet, icy, snowy or dry roads.

KOT

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,487 Posts
Just bought my 04 My car has also started giving me the "Stability System Engaged" message while driving straight down the freeway, happens randomly. It has yet to actually engage but now I'm a little worried that this supposed "safety feature" might actually send me flying off of the road at 70mph. Even if the sensor is going bad there should be some sort of override to keep that from happening. Having a brake or two lock up at 70mph surely can't be a good thing....Might have to get her in for a new steering position sensor before this actually happens to me.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
Steering position sensor.
Common issue. I disabled mine.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,487 Posts
Common problem, sure, but my god! Having the stability system engage the brakes unexpectedly on you at freeway speeds, especially in the winter, is insanely dangerous! Look what happened to this guy! This HAS to be addressed by GM....Makes me very nervous now knowing that I too have seen a phantom "stability system engaged" message on my DIC at random times lately. I will most certainly be contacting the NHTSA.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
what tires do you run in the winter? what is in your trunk? what speed were you going?
where in canada are you from? Alberta?

·
Registered
2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
1,017 Posts
Steering position sensor.
Common issue. I disabled mine.
very common issue, just did mine last month, not too hard actually. i figured it was time to fix because everytime i got on the highway i would have to turn stability off. my price for the sensor was $60.13, but the was wholesale through my local cadillac dealership, i think list is just under a hundred dollars. its just under a hour to install but is EXTREMELY critical to have positioned correctly and have a scan tool to calibrate new sensor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
If the dealer replace the steering position sensor for my case, and it will fix the problem. Still I WILL NOT trust the stability system. I mean, how soon it's going to break and act weird again? I probably will have to disable it.

I agree that we should report this common issue to NHTSA or Transport Canada, but how come after all these years, so many complaints already, that this issue has not been addressed? GM didn't make a recall on this.

Here's another interesting thread I found, post#60, http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-...andling-goes-nutz-almost-causes-accident.html
"This one day I punched it and at 110 mph the rearend of the car went to the left and put me at a 45 degree angle to the road the service active handling DIC came on and the car straightened out but in the oncoming lane! No fishtailing, no other loss of control, the active handling had instantly shut its self off. "

Quite similar

Just image that, I don't drive that fast but watch my video, there's nothing you can do if this is happening on a slippery rainy road, only [email protected] or so.

·
Registered
2004 3.6L v6 cts lux
869 Posts
My man, sorry if I may sound a bit on the harsh side but did you not realize how fast you were going on unpacked/unmelted snow!? Did you not realize that you were passing SUV'S in the snow, while they drove on the melted area?!!!!?? I've had my car for quite some time now and through blizzards and all. One thing stands true... #1 you bought a rear wheel drive car... #2 snow mode button does not mean you can drive regular (non snow) speeds in snow and expect to get same traction as dry conditions. I've been through many situations like yours and i have to admit, when it's snowing/cold out there could be black ice, snow, wet roads, or w/e other bs... Drive carefully. 4x4's on your vid are going at those speeds for a reason.

·
Registered
CTS
104 Posts
In the first video it spins out of control, driver error and black ice. Second video was pretty ridiculous driving. Of course your going to get stability system and traction control engaging when you drive on packed snow and ice.

·
Registered
07 CTS 3.6L Wheel Performance
180 Posts
Jumping from a supercharged FWD into a moderately ballsy RWD just in time for winter almost got me killed. The stability system saved from the ditch and possibly a rollover. It took about two weeks with the CTS for me to learn that I can't "power through the corner" anymore. I should've learned that playing Forza with driving aids off, but I'm alive and better for it either way.

The Steering Wheel Position Sensor issue does seem to be popping up quite a bit on these boards. The only trouble that I've noticed is the message popping up pulling into the driveway or clunking a pothole during a corner. I haven't thought much of it, but I'll likely change the sensor as preventative maintenance.

I'll look into it better when I swap out my tires. If anything will kill me in this car, it's my winter tires in the rain.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
guys, these messages that pop up on the dash aren't meant to be ignored!

when you get these messages please get the codes scanned as soon as possible to see what exactly the problem was

safety system warnings are not meant to be ignored

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,487 Posts
I am not getting the "Service Stability System" message, it just engages itself randomly while driving straight down the highway. It hasn't actually engaged the brakes yet, it just says it is engaging on the DIC for a second or two and then all is normal again. It will be in for a once over real soon.

·
Registered
Cadillac
264 Posts
Do all of the cars with reported issues have Stabilitrak? My 2005 has the standard traction control, no Stabilitrak. I have never seen a stability warning on my car, only something like "traction system engaged".

Does a car with standard traction control, but no Stabilitrak, have the steering wheel position sensor??

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
JL4 is the option to look for ... (active brake control)

if you have that then you have the steering sensor... if not then you don't have the steering sensor

CTSV may not show this RPO since it is standard on that model

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
did you not realize how fast you were going on unpacked/unmelted snow!? Did you not realize that you were passing SUV'S in the snow, while they drove on the melted area?!!!!??
:yeah:

In the first video it spins out of control, driver error and black ice. Second video was pretty ridiculous driving. Of course your going to get stability system and traction control engaging when you drive on packed snow and ice.
:yeah:

I had stability engage on me plenty of times, it never made my car spin out. If you are driving too fast for the conditions, there isn't a stability system in existence that is going to save you. Stabilitrak makes the most of what traction you have. But you HAVE TO HAVE traction.

otoh, if you seriously think your system is malfunctioning, turn it all the way off and proceed immediately to a dealer.

·
Registered
07 CTS 3.6L Wheel Performance
180 Posts
Yeah, mine is only "Stability System Engaged," I jammed on it a bit to make sure this afternoon. It's never done it in a straight line for me, only once during a hard lane change.

If it's coming up as "Service Stability System" or something, take it in for the sensor and make sure it's fixed. When my DIC tells me to service any safety system I listen to it. If the sensor is only $60 I'd grab one and make sure that it solves the issue.

Disabling it is one way to do it, but driving in sunny southern Ontario I'll be keeping mine.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts