Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last several weeks I have had a random problem with my Stability control engaging. It doesn't follow any pattern (speed, terrain, weather, etc.). I'll be driving on the interstate going 60 and the stability control will engaged at least every mile. No bumps, water, nothing? I took it to the dealer to have them check it out. They found nothing. Here are the things I have done to see if I can fix it and nothing:

1- Checked all tire pressures (cold, 30 PSI)

2- Rotated the tires

3- Had the dealer check the parking brake.

4- Disconnected the battery for 30 minutes, maybe resetting it

5- Tires have 8000 miles, plenty of tread.

Can someone suggest something that I'm missing. I'm afraid to drive the car on the interstate in the rain. When the stability engages, it feels like one tire is driving over tank tread marks (minor vibration).

Joe
New Orleans

·
FAQ is your Friend
CTS-V
3,987 Posts
have you had the dealer replace/repair per the recall the SDM? This has been known on CTS-Vs (and corvettes) to cause this problem.. but Urby is right its usually because of after market exhaust.

Reed

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SDM 'sensor diagnostic module', thought that had something to do with the air bags? My dealer thought it might be a steering wheel sensor, is this something to do with the SDM?

Joe
New Orleans

·
FAQ is your Friend
CTS-V
3,987 Posts
hmmm.. could be the steering sensor I guess. more likely the sensors in the wheel area... Do you have aftermarket wheels or tires?

SDM: Yes it does relate to the airbag, but it also controls the stability.. do a search and you will see some people reporting the problem you are talking about and it usually has to do with the exhaust mount (under the SDM) I think, vibrating the SDM causing false engagement of ABS/ Stability....

I have heard this happen on vette's with aftermarket exhaust too... The problem is that you dont have aftermarket exahust (usually the problem)... You still want to have the dealer check the exhaust mounting point (near the resonator)... I will do some more research tongiht...

Reed

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ctsvett said:
hmmm.. could be the steering sensor I guess. more likely the sensors in the wheel area... Do you have aftermarket wheels or tires?

SDM: Yes it does relate to the airbag, but it also controls the stability.. do a search and you will see some people reporting the problem you are talking about and it usually has to do with the exhaust mount (under the SDM) I think, vibrating the SDM causing false engagement of ABS/ Stability....

I have heard this happen on vette's with aftermarket exhaust too... The problem is that you dont have aftermarket exahust (usually the problem)... You still want to have the dealer check the exhaust mounting point (near the resonator)... I will do some more research tongiht...

Reed
Thanks,

·
Registered
2005 CTS
214 Posts
Do a search on the forums for the steering wheel sensor. Others with this issue have had the same symptoms. Your's would not be the first to fail.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pengineer91 said:
Do a search on the forums for the steering wheel sensor. Others with this issue have had the same symptoms. Your's would not be the first to fail.

That was it. Fixed in a few hours @ the dealer. Car is back to normal, feels less restricted, faster. :bouncy:

Thanks to everyone who helped,
Joe
New Orleans

·
Registered
'05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt
1,690 Posts
Z06CTSV said:
That was it. Fixed in a few hours @ the dealer. Car is back to normal, feels less restricted, faster. :bouncy:

Thanks to everyone who helped,
Joe
New Orleans
Now would be a good time to become a supporting member....:bouncy:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Does it sound like I have the same problem...?

Every once in a while when @ WOT usually in 4th gear the traction control will kick in for no apparent reason. It happened to me this morning on dry pavement. I was in 4th and flogging her pretty good. Around 120 the tracking control came on and the car pulled to the right pretty good for a second.

Anyone know if this will this be a continual thing of replacing the SDM for those of us with aftermarket exhaust or is the SDM being replaced with an upgraded version.

·
Registered
'05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt
1,690 Posts
I had the traction control come on around 125 at WFO, I figured with the 2.8 the back end was getting light..

Maybe I can catch a group buy on that big ole wing that's on the VR..

·
Registered
2011 Raven CTS-V Coupe
248 Posts
Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

Does anyone know if the steering wheel sensor can be replaced by a DIY'er? I've suddenly got the "Stability System Engaged" gremlin, which happened no less than 50 times on my way home from work today. I'm way out of warranty, so I'd like to try this myself. Bad idea or no?

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

Does anyone know if the steering wheel sensor can be replaced by a DIY'er? I've suddenly got the "Stability System Engaged" gremlin, which happened no less than 50 times on my way home from work today. I'm way out of warranty, so I'd like to try this myself. Bad idea or no?

me too.....I even did a test with the Tech2 on the steering wheel sensor and it tested fine...Id just like to swap it anyway. Anyone have a pn?

F

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Replace the steering position sensor ........period. Even if it is failing it will not throw a code. After numerous trips to the dealer with this problem I finally convinced them to replace the sensor and guess what.....................no more problems.

Shane

·
Registered
2011 Raven CTS-V Coupe
248 Posts
I love this forum. This morning I spoke with the dealer and let them know that the V parked outside their service department needed the Steering Position Sensor replaced. The service writer asked me how I knew this. I told him that I just knew, and that since I was paying for it anyway, that I just wanted them to replace that sensor as quickly as possible. He told me that he couldn't replace it without running diagnostics...

Two hours later the guy calls me back, tells me that I was right, and asks me how I knew what the problem was without a scan tool. I told him that I learned about the problem on this forum, and that the dealers generally misdiagnosed this problem because no codes are kept by the system on this issue.

Total cost of this repair (out of warranty): $250.00

·
Registered
2011 Raven CTS-V Coupe
248 Posts
They didn't charge me for diagnostic time since I was correct. The part was $70, and tearing down the steering column and replacing the sensor was the rest.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts