Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of a sudden while driving my stabilitrak system said it needed servicing, and I looked at my gauge cluster, and I lost both stabilitrak and traction control.

The only thing I can think of since my car has 4500 miles was it had something to do with the 2006 rear end I put in the car about 1000 miles ago, or a big goof that discount tire made. When they rotated my tires, they just swapped the wheels so now my rear air pressure tire sensors are on the front and the fronts are on the rears. Not sure if stabilitrak uses those same sensors as part of the system.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Re: Stabilitrak System on the fritz! CPU says it needs servicing..wtf?!?

You can reprogram the tire sensors, it's in the owner's manual. The stabilitrac problem I have no suggestion other than take it to the stealer.

·
Registered
476 Posts

You can try "rebooting" the cars computers by simply disconnecting the negative battery lead and letting the car sit for 24 hrs to discharge all capacitors. Some people say less time is needed, and that may be so, but 24 hours is certainly enough. If the symtom then persists, it requires a dealer solution.

·
Registered
705 Posts

I just had this fixed at the dealer... got the same message on my nav screen. It was a streeing wheel sensor (or something like that).

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Yes, homer's Steering wheel position sensor was bad.
It had an intermittent glitch where it would go to 0 volts. This sets a code and turns on the stability light.
You'd need to retrieve codes to be sure but the SWPS is probably the most common failure for this type of problem.
I have actually done a couple of these recently.
It's kind of a pain but not as bad as some others.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
No, fortunately I am spared from having to work on European cars, except Cateras! LOL

I guess their system is pretty unreliable?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

a64pilot said:
You can reprogram the tire sensors, it's in the owner's manual. The stabilitrac problem I have no suggestion other than take it to the stealer.
Funny, my service advisor said only they can do it and it has to be done with a special machine :cookoo:

Car is going into the stealership tomorrow morning.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Most of the new tire sensors either require the programming tool, or you have to use what we call the "pressure increase/decrease" method.
You put it in programming mode and let air out of the tires until it honks.
It's a major pain because when you are done you have to air the tires back up, you can also increase the pressure but I prefer to deflate them (if doing it that way) so I don't worry about overinflation.
If they rotated it and didn't do the relearn, make them do it.
It only takes a few minutes and they should have done it already.

·
Registered
No GET-RAG or GM products
637 Posts
Check the faq. The procedure for reprogramming the tire pressure can be found there - under wheels and tires.

GT

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
ewill3rd said:
Most of the new tire sensors either require the programming tool, or you have to use what we call the "pressure increase/decrease" method.
You put it in programming mode and let air out of the tires until it honks.
It's a major pain because when you are done you have to air the tires back up, you can also increase the pressure but I prefer to deflate them (if doing it that way) so I don't worry about overinflation.
If they rotated it and didn't do the relearn, make them do it.
It only takes a few minutes and they should have done it already.
I have heard that the reprogramming can be done quickly by using a good size magnet near the tire valve. Then you dont have to fool with the air. I dont remember where I hear it and I havent tried it yet.

·
Registered
'05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt
1,690 Posts
Sounds scarey to me,:eek: it's not a video tape. It doesn't take that long to do it right..

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Well to be honest I haven't tried the magnet method for a while.
The programming tool is much easier. However I know that the more recent systems won't program with a magnet, believe me I have tried. I think they changed the sensors starting at around '03 to where you had to use the programming tool.
I was really mad actually because I used the magnet method for a long time.

When I am not sure I go to the service information, but mostly these days it calls for the programming tool or the increase/decrease (I/D) method.

It takes about 3 minutes with the programming tool, the I/D method takes longer obviously because you have to deflate and inflate the tires, but the actual learning process is pretty fast.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stealership won't fix my tire pressure sensor issue under warranty, and told me yesterday that fixing stabilitrak shouldn't take more than an hour or so. I get there and they tell me my car probably wouldn't get touched till Monday. Legends Cadillac in Scottsdale sucks ass.....further evidenced by the 70yr old man screaming at the cashier over how bad Legends sucked.

·
FAQ is your Friend
CTS-V
3,987 Posts
ewill,
Do you hold the deflate (or inflate) for the entire time until it honks??!?

The method I used (and it works) is to just let air out for about 3 seconds and wait 20 seconds (there is a delay).. it programmed ok.. I dont think you need to hold down the release the entire time.... Can you confirm?

It sounds from your previous post that you are releasing air for the entire 20 seconds....

Reed

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V
442 Posts
I put the 2006 rear in my 2004 V and the next day my sensor lights came on also, disabling traction control and abs. I thought I just had a coincidental bad sensor, but now I'm not so sure. I also reset the tire sensors, but it didn't help. Other tha taking it to the dealer, any ideas?

Jack

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I rarely do it so I can't say I have tried many variations.
The service manual says that it has to see a change but until I just looked it up I had never paid attention to the specifics.
Apparently it only needs to see a change of 1.6 psi over a 20 second interval. I misread it, thanks for encouraging me to look it up again. It should work to let some air out (1.6 psi) and then wait for the beep. It looks as if it polls the sensors at that interval. You learn something new every day!

Here is a quote for CTS:

Sensor Functions using pressure increase/decrease method
Each sensor takes a pressure measurement sample once every 20 seconds while in stationary mode. If the tire pressure increases, or decreases by more than 11 kPa (1.6 psi) from the last pressure measurement, another measurement will occur immediately to verify the change in pressure. If a pressure change has indeed occurred, the sensor sends a re-measure transmission to the antenna module. When the antenna module receives a re-measure transmission while in sensor learn mode, it will assign that sensor's ID to that location on the vehicle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts