Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
04 CTS
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I'm new to the list -- recently bought a second hand '04 CTS base version. I've read through the manual, but not sure how to know if the car includes the Stabilitrack option. Any way to tell easily?

Also, I realized after getting the car that the previous owner was using regular dino oil instead of synthetic. Any opinions on this? Are others using only regular oil....or should I switch. I know the advantages to synthetic and was running my previous Benz with it. I only do about 5k mi per year, though.

TIA,

Brad L.
San Diego

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
nightowle said:
Hi folks,

I'm new to the list -- recently bought a second hand '04 CTS base version. I've read through the manual, but not sure how to know if the car includes the Stabilitrack option. Any way to tell easily?

Also, I realized after getting the car that the previous owner was using regular dino oil instead of synthetic. Any opinions on this? Are others using only regular oil....or should I switch. I know the advantages to synthetic and was running my previous Benz with it. I only do about 5k mi per year, though.

Brad L.
San Diego
Brad,
I have an '04 with the 3.6 engine. Synthetic is required by the manuacturer. It's expensive and the other owner was either dumb or cheap. It could affect your warrany if the engine fails.

By the way :welcome: to the Forum.

·
Registered
217 Posts
i believe there is only one way to find out, if you have the stab or not.. call the dealer and give them a vin #. or you can just take it out for a nice test drive!! itz doesnt really matter if you use dino or syn oil or not. as long as you change your oil after 3000-5000 on dino oil and synthetic will last lil bit longer. go ahead and switch it to synthetic if you perfer.

·
Registered
CTS
1,485 Posts
RobertCTS said:
Brad,
I have an '04 with the 3.6 engine. Synthetic is required by the manuacturer. It's expensive and the other owner was either dumb or cheap. It could affect your warrany if the engine fails.

By the way :welcome: to the Forum.
Isn't this a little ALARMIST Bob?? :eek:

·
Registered
543 Posts
nightowle said:
Hi folks,

Brad L.
San Diego
The base 04 CTS did not include Stabilitrak this option was limited to the Sport Package.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nightowle,

I bought a second hand 2K3 CTS (V6 3.2L) three months ago. I am now using regular oil since I read in the user's guide (chapter "Service and appearance care/Engine oil/What Kind of Engine Oil to Use)
(https://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2content/manual/US/en/cadillac/2003cts.pdf.) "Use only engine oil with the American Petroleum Institute Certified For Gasoline Engines starburst symbol" .
No synthetic oil is mentionned in the guide. I saw this starbust symbol on several "commercial" brands.

But for the '04 CTS, I read in the user's guide that synthtic oil is required. You can download the 04 CTS user's guide from the following link : https://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2content/manual/US/en/cadillac/2k04cts.pdfhttps://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2content/manual/US/en/cadillac/2k04cts.pdfhttps://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2content/manual/US/en/cadillac/2k04cts.pdfhttps://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2content/manual/US/en/cadillac/2k04cts.pdf
(chapter 6 : Maintenance schedule/recommanded fluid and lubrifiants).

Do you have the 3.6L? I didn't see anything about the "stabilitrac option" vs "synthetic oil"

Good day!!!

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/pdf/2k04cts.pdf

·
Registered
04 CTS
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the advice . I'll change to synthetic with the next oil change. FYI it's the 3.6 can;t believe the previous owner was stupid enough or cheap enough to use the wrong oil. I only found out AFTER buying the car when I noticed a receipt tucked into the manual folder. Sure diggin' the ride though!

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
The 04 CTS only came with the 3.6. The base version was not available with the stabilitrack, however there were 3 versions of this model year. Base, luxury,and luxury sport. I believe the stabilitrack was available on the last two as long as you had the 17" wheels. As to the synthetic, I wouldn't use anything other then that since it does specify it in the manual and for proper maintenence (read warranty). They specify Mobil 1 which many use. I'm currently using Royal Purple, and I do a lot of stop and go (sales) I've got 6500 miles since the last change and I'm down to only 38% on the oil life monitor. My 2 cents!

Welcome to the forum :welcome:

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
jteolis said:
Isn't this a little ALARMIST Bob?? :eek:
JT,
Find your own words. Alarmist belongs to me.:D You're the the one who harps on warranty issues. The manual on the 3.6 does state Synthetic oil required..right?

And yes, if you do some erratic driving in a parking lot the Stabilitrak dash light will come on, "STABILITRAK ENGAGED."

·
Registered
81 Posts
Synthetic oil basicly has one advantage over regular oil...It breaks down at a slower pace. So if you change regular oil more often, your engine will never suffer. We use reg on racing bikes because it warms up faster and we dump it after 10-15 laps. These bikes rev a lot higher then a CTS.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
B Hoth said:
The 04 CTS only came with the 3.6. The base version was not available with the stabilitrack....and I'm down to only 38% on the oil life monitor. My 2 cents!

Welcome to the forum :welcome:
Not true. '04 CTS's also came with the 3.2L.

The engine oil life monitor will give an accurate estimate of how much life is left in your engine's oil. It measures a multitude of conditions from how hard you drive to climate, etc, but it can't tell if you have synthetic or dino. So if the engine suggests synth, that meter is set for synth. If you use dino, the oil monitor will be off. This is only for the 3.6L's. The 3.2L uses dino.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
darrelld said:
The base 04 CTS did not include Stabilitrak this option was limited to the Sport Package.
or you can get it as an option...I bought a base CTS and added sport suspension with stabilitrak, load leveling etc.
nightowle said:
but not sure how to know if the car includes the Stabilitrack option. Any way to tell easily?
try to do a 360 in empty parking lot...."stability system engaged" will read out on your display

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
You can also try holding the TC button in the glovebox for about 5 seconds. Longer, to make sure. The DIC will say something like STabilitrak turned off....wrong words, same idea tho.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts