Cadillac Owners Forum banner

SRX Vibration At Speed

25K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Maxplot 
#1 ·
I recently replaced the OEM Michelin tires on my 2010 SRX at 40K miles. The tires were about half-worn and had always rodden fine and wore smoothly. The new tires are the identical Michelins. I immediately noticed a vibration in the car when cruising at 50mph and above. The vibration seemed to come and go. I returned to the tire dealer and had them rebalance the tires. The vibration persists. I've now been able to determine that the vibration only occurs when there is a load on the drivetrain, like going up a grade--even a slight one. I can feel the vibration in sixth or fifth gear, the car running in cruise control. The vibration stops when the extra load is gone. I talked with the local GM service manager and he said it might help to reflash the tranny/engine module(s), but we're not sure. It does seem that it could be an issue with transmission/torque converter not locking properly under these mild load situations. I'm wondering if a slight change in the diameter of the new tires could cause an issue? In any event, the vibration began with the tire change and has now been there for 2k miles. I'd like to know if anyone has had and, hopefully, solved a similar issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

#4 ·
Did your tire shop road force balance with the Hunter GSP 9700? Most of the time, tire balance is the problem. They should be able to get them to less than 10 pounds of variance, although GM recommends 15 pounds or less. The tire can also slip when driving after its mounted and throw off the balance.

If you are sure it is not a tire balance problem, then I might try a transmission fluid flush. Does it vibrate when you are on heavy throttle or is it only certain rpm's?

#5 ·
The vibration is always low RPM cruising under slight load, no heavy acceleration. The tires were balanced and then checked again, but not load balanced. I don't really think it's a balance issue because cruising on level road there's no vibration until additional force is need from the engine. Then it will begin to vibrate and even continue if it dowshifts to fifth. Once the resistance is overcome, the vibration is gone. I can check on the tranny flush and what it might accomplish, though I think these cars don't call for any service until 100k. It's my understanding that the ECMs adjust to how the cars are driven, and that resetting them to factory defaults might solve the issue. That's just a guess. I had to drive the car 300 miles yesterday, and can now say the problem is always there and as described. Most of the time my wife drives the car and she doesn't notice such things. Enough said about that!

#7 ·
Hello josephl,

I know how this vibration issue would be frustrating and I am glad to see that you’ve already received quite a bit of feedback from the rest of the forum. If you end up pursuing a resolution with the dealership, please feel free to send a PM my way if you would like an additional layer of assistance.

Have a great day,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

#16 ·
UPDATE. Had the tires load balanced, and still not happy with the results. I'm beginning to think it's an issue with the tires themselves. From the moment they were installed the vibration began and the ride has been terrible. As the Cadillac mechanic noted when riding in the car, "That Cadillac ride is sure gone!" Dropped the pressure from 35PSI to 32PSI and still very rough. I'll check the drive shaft mounts but my next call is to Michelin.

#19 ·
If the problem only surfaces when the drivetrain is under light load, I still think it is Drivetrain / Transmission related.
If it is the tires, can you get it to happen at a set speed? If so when it occurs, put the car in neutral, does problem still exist? Also try by putting the car in say 2nd or 3rd gear and keep it there, still a problem? Try rotating the tires front to rear just as a test, does the sound / vibration change? Increase the tire pressure to 45 as a test, any change?

#20 ·
Update Two

Had the car serviced at dealer. Checked everything on the driveshaft and said it's fine. Did front and back alignment; only slightly out. Reset to defaults on module that control vibration and suck for rear differential/axles. Still not a smooth as with the old tires and the new tires are definitely harder. Only thing left is to talk with Michelin.

#21 ·
Don't give up with trouble shooting. Had mine back to the dealer 3 times. 1st time no problem found. 2nd time I could recreate the problem by forcing the load n the trans with the gas floored and the brakes applied at the same time. Again, dealer said no problem found even though I had them take a ride and forced the problem. 3rd time I figured out how to re-create the problem every time. Would only occur about 32 MPH, with the drivetrain under load, WOT. I noticed the original problem while going on vacation, fully loaded trunk 4 passengers and merging on an up ramp. Sooooo... I went to home depot, loaded up the trunk with about 6 Bags of sand and a few in the rear. Hit the magic speed of 32 MPH, then WOT.... wala oscillation / vibration for 3 to 4 seconds then went away. Dealer replaced the entire driveshaft and all shaft mounts. Problem solved under CPO.

#23 ·
Just an Update.
I took the car to the dealer and had the front and rear aligned, but there were no meaningful changes or adjustments. There is a module that controls vibration and such for the rear differential, etc. and they reset codes to defaults. Checked driveshaft and driveshaft mounts, etc. and said all was fine and nothing is loose. In the end, the car still vibrates and rides really rough with 33lbs of air in the tires. I'm going to try and talk with someone at Michelin tomorrow. A friend went to dinner with me Friday evening and three miles down the road I asked him if he thought tires were out of balance. He said he noticed it immediately and added that the vehicle sure didn't ride like a Cadillac. I've gotten a lot of that.

#24 ·
Did you rotate tires front to back and see if vibration changes or is exactly the same... If no change, more than likely not the tires or rims. $5- still on drive shaft. Ask dealer to swap 4 tires from the lot and do a test drive, and stop monkeying around with balancing machines at this point. Just say'n....

#26 ·
I have the same problem on my 2013 SRX and Michelin tires. I took mine in to the dealer and after they balanced I still had vibration. They did a road-force balance and found 3 out of the 4 tires out of spec and ordered and mounted 3 new tires. The vibration was better, but still there. So I paid out of my pocket to have all tires road-force balanced at a different place. Still vibrates. I would like to try a different brand tire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.