Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard on the news (didn't actually see it) that the SRX had very bad crash test scores. I checked on www.nhtsa.com and there was no test on it, but I did find the DeVille had a 1 star frontal driver impact!!!! Luckily, the slade had a 4 star on most of em.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
What I saw on the evening news was about the bumpers, and that does not mean they are unsafe. Apparently the Honda Pilot only produced 400 dollars damage with a moderate "bump" However, the Kia Sorento, and SRX cost about 4,000 each to fix. I believe it was the Highway Safety Institute or ? and the mentioned that the bumpers are just too flimsy on these newer vehicles and therefore there is also fender, or body panal damage, when the bumper should be absorbing the impact. They tested at "fast walking speed."

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
It's a luxury car! It's expensive.....So?

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
kcnewell said:
So I suppose they were trying to imply that insurance rates and plates will be higher for these vehicles. That's why insurance companies rate certain vehicles higher, because it will cost more to fix them. Also, which cars are in more accidents like typically Trans Ams, Mustangs. It costs $1800 to put plates on a new Mustang GT here, where as a new DTS costs $1,100. This includes a $700 deductable.

·
Registered
363 Posts
03EscaladeAWD said:
Thanks for pointing that out, but I am afraid Ruben is wrong.
http://www.nhtsa.com/NCAP/Cars/2243.html
The 2001 model has a 3 star though...

I think you should go research some data for Benz, BMW, Audi and Infiniti. Not to mention some of the others in this class and tell me what you find. Like I said Cadillac is on par with it's competitiors.

First post....SRX....

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ralph said:
The strange thing is, I checked my dad's new DTS on the NHTSA site 6 months ago or so, and it was 5 stars front and 4 side! What gives, why would it change?!

Good question because I have seen the same ratings!

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
kcnewell said:
Why should a luxury car's bumper be less effective than otherwise? Why should there be $4000.00 damage to a luxury car's bumper and fenders as opposed to another car's bumper and fenders - of the same impact?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
Why should a luxury car's bumper be less effective than otherwise? Why should there be $4000.00 damage to a luxury car's bumper and fenders as opposed to another car's bumper and fenders - of the same impact?

You know I use to ask the same question when I owned a Benz! I used to say why does it cost hundreds of dollars for a tune up and oil change? Why is a simple relay $250? Why does it cost $100 just to tell me that I have a fuse out and that is my problem?

I guess if I were to buy a Cavalier it would not cost as much as with a Cadillac or Benz. All of them have plastic bumpers but you are going to pay for the name.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
They are just trying to save money where they can. Have you seen the new Chryslers, and some Fords, they use styrofoam under a simple piece of soft moulded plastic bumper. That news report simply stated that the bumpers are just "cheap." Many older cars had great bumpers (our Pontiac) that had little gas charged shocks built into the actual bumper to absorb impact, then they just pop out again! I was rear-ended 10 years ago, hard enough to shake me up pretty good, and NO damage. They tested the bumpers at a "fast walking pace" which is apparently the average speed for a traffic "fender bender" and many new cars failed the test! I think the reason for the failures are the new crumple zones. Once a dealer told me about the new Malibus and how just a little rear impact, for eg, caused a ripple right down alongside the entire length of the car, both sides! Damage=car totalled! Cars are now designed to completely absord the impact so the occupant doesn't! And IMO, this contributes to higher insurance costs, and a larger repair bill for you and me.

·
Registered
1994 STS - pearl white
140 Posts
Well, if it comes down to me or the car absorbing the energy, I'll sacrifice the car. You are absolutely right about energy absorption. The car is designed to absorb the energy of a collision to protect the occupants.

The old style steel bumpers with the shock absorbers "absorbed" some energy, but mostly they slowed down the transfer of momentum to the car body. They worked, but they had one big problem. They were HEAVY!

Styrofoam, egg-crate plastics & other modern marvels do a better energy absorption job and weigh a whole lot less (better gas mileage). But they are the sacrificial lambs in a collision.

·
Registered
377 Posts
the car being a absorber should be a last resort, the bumper should take a 5-10mph crash without the whole thing crumpling

the comment about insurance companies charging more to insure because it costs more to fix. this is partly true, but fixing the car is nothing $$$ wise to fixing a person in a huge crash, id take a safer but more expensive car to fix, money is only money after all.

·
Registered
363 Posts
You poor lost souls in these test it is not an issue so much of the amount of damage that is done but rather how much it cost to fix what has been done. The SRX is not crumpling up in the front but to replace the bumper and such is expensive because the parts are and it is a luxury car.

The SRX may have less damage but may cost more that a substantially damage Cavalier because of parts and etc. will not be that high for a Cavalier.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts