Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi Everybuddy,

I live in Maryland owner of a 2010 Cadillac SRX and my headlights have been fogged up with condensation since I purchased this car in 2014 used. I have not received any type of letter pertaining to the headlight issue. Several years back i did right a letter to GM complaining about the problem but it fell upon deaf ears! Any suggestions from anyone out there! Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I have been extremely disappointed and frustrated with this whole situation. HELP PLEASE!

Regards,

Lance Matteo
Buy aftermarket replacement, do not go to a dealer for replacement. If you're mechanically inclined, it should take 20 minutes to remove bumper cover and 1/2 to replace both headlamp assemblies then replace the bumper cover, another 20 minutes. Your other option is to go to a reputable body shop to have them do the swap.

·
Registered
2011 SRX
22 Posts
I havent received a letter yet. I spent over 1500 dollars a few months ago to replace the headlight. Hopefully will get the letter

·
Registered
2011 SRX Luxury
5 Posts
Like others here I've been fighting this problem a while. I might also add when we bought our off lease "Certified" it had visible water inside the head light clear lenses from just being washed. so both headlight assemblies had been replaced in September of 2013. Things were fine until summer of 2018 when wife started complaining about how "low beams" were starting to get dimmer and dimmer. Hoped on here and saw a variety of possibilities.
Also saw where there was a class action in California.....unresolved at the time.

So I started with replacing the low beam bulbs....it helped for a little while. out of frustration I ordered an LED conversion kit and just hadn't had a chance to install when the letter appeared. Aha!

Made a trip to a dealer, listened to my problem, never even looked at the lights, to learn that the headlight assemblies are on back order, price with them to replace would be $1800+. I was told that they keep in stock normally and to call weekly for availability and I would be worked right in. Okay I drove home.

Then called another dealer.....also back ordered, I could pay them to assure when lights came in I would have available, asked about total cost I was told $1300~1400 for parts and labor. I asked about possible rejection of my claim application because mouisture is not visible and he said it could be. I was instructed to call the number on the letter. That his service manager said there was possibly a second letter coming making condtions more clear about how the dealer "diagnoses" the problem.

Now curious I went to gmparts direct and found 2011 SRX Luxury list for assemblies is $427.00 and they sell for $277.17.....a poster here earlier with a 2014 has a different p/n and higher. I suppose halogens?

Anyway after a call to Cadillac and enduring their voice response system i learned the following......even though
the letter clearly states the decision to replace lies with the customer how the dealer writes up the repair order action can cause our claim to be rejected.
The headlights are on backorder because of the demand created by 60,000 cars.
The headlights being installed are of the same design as they have always been (ie: no improvements) so you're signing off on a replacement with same potential for problems.
Ive read the settlement carefully.......https://bergermontague.com/news/cadillac-srx-defective-headlights-case-settles/ and my letter ......looks to me like the terms are "sort of" being followed but hardly in the spirit of it.As a footnote if you were unaware of the "settlement" the letter appears that Cadillac is doing this out of the goodness of their heart.

Bottomline
Cadillac should reimburse owners for documented repairs already done and handle cars like mine with the dealer within their regular warranty system.
And develop a better headlight that will solve the problem once and for all.

·
Registered
10 SRX
405 Posts
Not sure if this was a settlement just for people living in Fla and CA or not, maybe I'm lucky to live in CA? But I went ahead and made an appointment for tomorrow for the inspection and replacement. I was told worst case scenario was it would cost $1800 and I would have to pick up the balance of $200. I wouldn't mind paying that if it meant shinny new eyeballs! I'll let you know if I get scammed!

·
Registered
2013 SRX PERFORMANCE, ICE WHITE
538 Posts
You need to go back to the first post and read the last paragraph again. It specifically cays that Cadillac will reimburse. Nothing about maybe/hoping in the letter.

George

·
Registered
2011 SRX Luxury
5 Posts
Someone else in this thread said its determined by where the car originated by its vin number.....not where it is now.
Mine was originally sold here in Jacksonville and we purchased in Clearwater as a "Cadillac Certified" car.
So its been in Florida all its life. Service history for us other than regular maintenance has been sunroof drain failure filling inside storage and shorting out liftgate (warranty-major repair), out of warranty over 100,000 miles both rear wheel bearings (causing speed sensor problems), water pump slow leak coolant loss over time.....all dealer repaired.
Oh and rear hatch support strut failure on the plain side (Thank goodness) which I fixed.
And then these damn headlights....of course.

·
Registered
2012 srx
2 Posts
Settlement Reached in Cadillac SRX Defective Headlights Class Action Lawsuit
DATE: January 8, 2019
PRACTICE AREAS: Defective Products
PHILADELPHIA, Jan. 8, 2019 – Berger Montague is pleased to announce General Motors, LLC has agreed to settle allegations that the headlights in 2010 – 2015 Cadillac SRX vehicles have a defect that causes the headlights to prematurely wear out and fail. The case was filed in October 2017 on behalf of owners and lessees of 2010 – 2015 Cadillac SRXs and settled in December 2018 in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida for California and Florida residents.

Plaintiffs alleged that the seals used in Class Vehicles’ headlights’ exterior housing units wear out or deteriorate, allowing moisture to accumulate and condense from the air that flows through their vents. The housing units’ vents’ design is also defective in that it further compromises the flow and exchange of air through the improperly sealed headlights. The pooling condensation causes the headlights to malfunction or the bulbs to fail by corroding lamp assembly components like the igniter and/or causing electrical shorts, among other problems. Further, the vehicles’ design is such that the hood on the right side of the vehicle puts pressure on the headlights, further exacerbating the seals’ deterioration.

The settlement agreement states that California and Florida residents will be reimbursed for any prior out-of-pocket SRX low-beam headlamp, headlamp capsule, or headlamp bulb replacement costs for moisture-related issues up to $1,600 per replacement. Residents will also be reimbursed entirely for a new diagnosis performed by a Cadillac dealer of their SRX headlamps for moisture-related issues. If residents elect to replace their entire SRX headlamp, they will also be fully reimbursed.

Berger Montague Shareholder Russell D. Paul served as lead counsel for the plaintiffs along with Capstone Law.

The case is Davis et al. v. General Motors LLC, Case No. 8:17-cv-02431 in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida.

Berger Montague is a national law firm headquartered in Philadelphia with additional offices in Minneapolis and Washington, D.C. The firm litigated complex civil cases and class actions in federal and state courts throughout the United States. Berger Montague has played lead roles in major cases for 49 years, resulting in recoveries of over $30 billion for its clients.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Settlement Reached in Cadillac SRX Defective Headlights Class Action Lawsuit
DATE: January 8, 2019
PRACTICE AREAS: Defective Products
PHILADELPHIA, Jan. 8, 2019 – Berger Montague is pleased to announce General Motors, LLC has agreed to settle allegations that the headlights in 2010 – 2015 Cadillac SRX vehicles have a defect that causes the headlights to prematurely wear out and fail. The case was filed in October 2017 on behalf of owners and lessees of 2010 – 2015 Cadillac SRXs and settled in December 2018 in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida for California and Florida residents.

Plaintiffs alleged that the seals used in Class Vehicles’ headlights’ exterior housing units wear out or deteriorate, allowing moisture to accumulate and condense from the air that flows through their vents. The housing units’ vents’ design is also defective in that it further compromises the flow and exchange of air through the improperly sealed headlights. The pooling condensation causes the headlights to malfunction or the bulbs to fail by corroding lamp assembly components like the igniter and/or causing electrical shorts, among other problems. Further, the vehicles’ design is such that the hood on the right side of the vehicle puts pressure on the headlights, further exacerbating the seals’ deterioration.

The settlement agreement states that California and Florida residents will be reimbursed for any prior out-of-pocket SRX low-beam headlamp, headlamp capsule, or headlamp bulb replacement costs for moisture-related issues up to $1,600 per replacement. Residents will also be reimbursed entirely for a new diagnosis performed by a Cadillac dealer of their SRX headlamps for moisture-related issues. If residents elect to replace their entire SRX headlamp, they will also be fully reimbursed
Based on that description, owners in the other 48 states are shit outta luck?

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
642 Posts
Either that, or they don't have the problem.

They might think they do, but, GM says they don't.

·
Registered
10 SRX
405 Posts
Buy aftermarket replacement, do not go to a dealer for replacement. If you're mechanically inclined, it should take 20 minutes to remove bumper cover and 1/2 to replace both headlamp assemblies then replace the bumper cover, another 20 minutes. Your other option is to go to a reputable body shop to have them do the swap.
But if you're like 99% of us this 40 minute repair will take you the better part of an afternoon, considering you have tools and a place to do the repairs, haha.

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Florida. I guess I'm going to have to call Cadillac. When it was in 4 yr. warranty and leaked like crazy and every time they said it was condensation.When it was almost out of the 6yrs they had to admit it but said the certified warranty didn't cover it. They said they would do me a favor and replace for $175

·
Registered
2011 SRX Luxury
5 Posts
One of the dealers I contacted quoted over $1800....and he would call if when they came in stock.
Another closer dealer said just over $1400.....but prepaying the parts would allocate the backorder when it came in.
That was March 22 and no parts yet.

·
Registered
2017 XT5
11 Posts
I sent my stuff in on March 7th. I know that's only 5 weeks ago so I'm not expecting to hear yet, but has anyone been reimbursed or heard anything?

·
Registered
2017 XT5
11 Posts
And...side note...if you are going to the dealer to have them replaced and get reimbursed I'd wait until someone sees some money from GM :rolleyes:

21 - 40 of 257 Posts