Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom has a SRX. V8. We got it from my aunt. The gas mileage is horrible. You can actually see the gas gauge just move down by looking at it. My mom filled up Sunday night and tuesday morning, she had 1 quater of a tank left. She doesent go crazy and drive 24/7. Just normal stuff like going to work and back which isnt far. Or running to the store etc.. We also have a Envoy Denali Which gets 3x better Gas mileage. My moms SRX gets about 10-11 mpg. Any suggestions to fix this. Filter/Exhaust? Is there something wrong with it or are they all like this?

Thanks
espo

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
Welcome to the site. This not the typical milage. It should be 14-16 average, with some getting a little better with a light foot. Check air filter and tire pressure first. If they are good, then it could be several things or combinations. Clogged injectors, bad O2 sensors, exhaust issue, etc, etc. If your still under warranty, have it checked out with a diagnostic test.

Are you sure a light foot is being used? :tisk:

·
Registered
Cadillac
170 Posts
I have a 07 SRX V8 AWD - and it is a PIGGY... I love the car - didn't expect great milage - but thought it might do slightly better with the 6 speed they put n the 07's. I was wrong. City driving around 13, highway mid 17's - if I I keep it at speed limit. I do keep the tires at the low end of inflation recommendations - but only because it has the factory 20" rims and the lower inflation helps the ride. I have since added more air to see if it helps mileage. Now the good news here, is when you do press the loud pedal - it moves along VERY well and still makes me smile (except at the gas pump). I would check the tire pressures first. I think there is another thread on the forum on what individuals are using for tire pressures...

·
Registered
2005 SRX AWD V8
204 Posts
i ride mine like a disobedient step child, and I get 13mpg. or 12.9 to be exact. Any less than this and you may have a problem. California even has emmision controls and 10% ethanol in the gas, which does give lower mileage than other states gases.

·
Registered
2005 SRX
109 Posts
People claim the V8 gets within 1 MPG of the V6. I just don't see that. Our 05 V6 gets 25MPG at 70MPH on flat ground and right now our city/highway average (maybe 50/50) is sitting at 21 MPG on the DIC.

No doubt the extra HP from the V8 is nice!

TK

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,745 Posts
I have a 07 SRX V8 AWD - and it is a PIGGY...
My 07 AWD Lade gets better gas mileage highway (19.5) than my 06 SRX AWD V-8 did - no kidding. I could squeeze 19 highway w. A/C on out of the SRX on my best day, but usually my overall DIC average was about 12.5-13.5.

Also, could be a clogged fuel filter in addition to the other issues outlined above. Lastly, invest 45 bucks in a K&N drop-in air filter. Before the filter, My SRX could not even get 19 under perfect conditions.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Our V6 SRX got 16 - 18 at best. Going up into the mountains to Yosemite it barely did better than 12 hand calc'd. Much less than as reported by GM. If I was heavy footed, I'd expect this kind of mileage.
Because of this and all the other problems with our SRX - it's history. Sold it, oh by the way, they don't hold value worth a damn either. Hope you all have better luck with your SRX than I.

·
Registered
2014 Standard SrX grey/black 2006 GTO
1,795 Posts
If the OP is getting 10-11mpg, does she have it in "4" or "D"?

My brand new '07 V6 better loosen up cause it is only getting 15mpg around town.
I am thinking the Ultraview must really mess up the airflow because the '04 would pull 23 mpg at 70mph.

·
Registered
'07 AWD MRC V8 SRX
35 Posts
I've got about 1200 miles on the car, around 700 on the new engine and have been getting 15.5 mpg with about 50/50 street/highway driving on the last two tankfuls of premium. I'm hoping to get it to around 17 after some more miles. My '07 Vette with 1700 miles is getting 22.5 mpg with the same type of driving. That thing will easily get 30+ on the highway. Too bad the SRX isn't as thrifty.

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
she doeset drive slow, but not a speed deamon. She does the speed limit mabe 5-10 mph more. Its now getting under 10mpg. The air pressure in the tires is normal. If i didnt mention it already, there's 45,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Do you smell a rotten egg smell. If so, it is running rich and there is too much gas being dumped into the engine.
She has the gear selector in "D", right?

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
My 06 v6 RWD has about 16K miles on it and I'm averaging about 21.5 MPG per the DIC with about 80% highway driving.

·
Registered
Cadillac
20 Posts
I have an O6 6 cylinder RWD. Gas mileage averages 19 city 25 highway, normal driving conditions, slightly above speed limit. I am pleased with that. I suggest that you watch your driving habits...smooth starts and stops, easy acceleration. That should help a lot.

·
Registered
Cadillac
2 Posts
I have a Black w/cashmere 07 RWD V6. Took delivery June 28 and have about 1100 miles on odometer through today. First two tanks only gave 13.2-13.4 mpg per the DIC. Now getting about 14.2 in mostly urban, stop & go driving using 87 octane gas. I am learning to coast with a constant eye on the instant mpg display. Initial acceleration seems to be the problem - using full time automatic, mpg through 20 mph while accelerating goes from 3-7 mpg, then from 10-16mg up to 35 mph, finally into the 22mpg and better ranges after 35-40 mph. Seems I should be able to do better. Will have computer checked on 1st service.

PS, some low life sob keyed the right rear and front doors this afternoon. Grrrrrrrrrrr!

·
Registered
2004 srx V-8 awd
482 Posts
My Srx 4 wheel drive Northstar gets 12 mpg in city driving and maybe 20 on the interstate--MY Accord 6 speed gets 16-17 in the same driving situations although it get well over 30 on the interstate. Gas mileage, especially in the city, is totally so dependent on your area and how you drive--stoplights, and stop signs and speed limits and any rural roads involved.... et al--- that any viable comparisons as to a few mpg difference are not significant.:tisk:

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Wonder how many millions of barrels of oil we would save if all stoplights were synchronized?

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes she has it in "d". Also, today we tried running 93 octane gas on the way home from the nj shore. we were on the highway. but in stop and go traffic. and the mpg went to 15.5. and when we put the 93 oct in, it still had a quater or regular gas in the tank

1 - 20 of 46 Posts