Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SRX
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 has been ideling real rough and bucking when I come to a red light. It isnt throwing codes and no check engine light is on. It has 97k miles and just had plugs done. Any ideas what I should look for next ? Thanks in advance, Phil

·
Registered
2004 SRX
23 Posts
This happened to me when I installed Bosch plugs. Car was under warranty and dealer told me to install AC Delco or I would damage the coils. Replaced the plugs and still ran bad with engine codes. Dealer replaced the entire left coil bank and it was luckily covered by warranty. They also said I had a cracked plug. Runs great ever since.

·
Registered
2004 SRX
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok quick update :

Took 04 SRX to local shop ( good friend of Mine ) at 92k we did an oil change , the car is now at 97 and five quarts down. The idle he chaulked up to vacume leak but that still didnt solve it. The air cleaner was fine.

The car had 7 CE codes 2 being the cats....Had a letter from Cadillac That said do to a problem they are covered for 12 yrs 200k miles so off to Caddy dealer for 2 new cats. Im hoping the cats will solve the skipping but not sure.

Caddy dealer said oil consumption could be timing chain ????

·
Registered
04 SRX V8 AWD
7 Posts
I was reading your troubles with the rough idleing and saw that you recieved a letter about your cats.
I just found out that my cats are failing and stinking.
How and where did you come accross this letter about the replacements.
Due to the smell i was thinking that this may be an issue and the cost for replacement is costly.
I would hope Caddy would replace. fingers crossed.
I have an 04 v8 awd with 94k.
Thanks for your post
JB

·
Registered
04 SRX V8 AWD
7 Posts
Nevermind, I called the dealership gave them my VIN and they found a "special coverage adjustment" that covers the converters until 200k
Here is the link describing that.
fleetleader.phh.com/recalls/2010/recallsOct1-222010.pdf

·
Registered
2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe
2,005 Posts
josh.........that extension of the standard emissions warranty on the cats just came up in the past few months. Your timing could not be better. Congratulations! Those suckers are expensive!

PJ.

·
Registered
2008 SRX
2 Posts
If the car runs normally when you are driving it could possibly be carbon build up in the throttle body. When the butterfly is closed there is only a small opening that allows air to the engine. If it's clogged it won't run right until the butterfly opens more. To clean just pop the intake pipe off of the front of the throttle body, open the butterfly by hand and scrub out any carbon with some carb cleaner and a rag. Make sure to get top and bottom.

·
Registered
2004 SRX
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well , Got the call today and they said nothing was wrong with the cats. They did say the car was mis firing and needed a tune up. I told him I just did plugs 5k miles ago and he was stumped. He said the plugs were defitly fouled and had lots of carbon on them. Couldnt give me a definite why the car was mis firing though. Any ideas what would foul the plugs after 5k miles ?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Phil.....thanks for the update. Can you let us know how this turns out? Is yours the 3.6L V6 or the 4.6L V8?

PJ

·
Registered
2004 SRX
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My update is kind of bumming me out. After three days and two shops car is still idling horrible and mis-firing. Fuel has gone from 17 mpg to 13.5 mpg gas has gone from $2.79 - $3.79 got car back yesterday from Dealership , still has check engine light on , still has P0420 code but was told it isnt in need to Convertors and they could only say the number 1 plug was fouled and they were just installed 5k miles ago....Im bummed and im stumped.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
04-SRX.........misfire, 5 quarts low on that last oil change would have me thinking timing chains. But you said there are no codes thrown for that. Hmmmmm.

PJ

·
Registered
2004 SRX
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We changed out the #1 plug an reset the codes. The car is running 10x better but yesterday the P0420 code came back and I reset it and it came back today. The dealer said it dont need Cats

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
In my state.......... if I take a vehicle in for the emissions test and it flunks because it is throwing that PO420 code (which translates into bad cats?) that puts the ball back in the dealer's court, no matter what they say, provided your cats are covered under the warranty extension Cadillac announced for the cats this past Fall. No?

PJ

·
Registered
2004 SRX
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My nightmare continues. Like I siad earlier plugs were done 7k miles ago. Got the mis fire code for Cyl. 1 and changed out number one plug even though it looked good. Reset codes and it ran fine for a week. Then P0420 came back and I reset it. Now codes P0300 P0301 P0420 codes are all showing. Tmorrow morning its going into Olsen Cadillac to see what they have to say. This is the worst nightmare ever. I will NEVER own another caidillac unless I can buy brand new under the 7 yr 100k warranty.

·
Registered
2004 SRX
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok , got my 04 SRX to Olsen Cadillac in Ma. They call me at 1:30 today and say bad news.....It's Your converter for sure and Your coverage has expired. $1061 to fix it. I tell him about the letter from Cadillac and he tells me that only certain parts are covered until 120k and the cat is only covered to 80k.......I call my wife and ask her to read the letter. It says clear as day 12 yrs 200k miles. She faxes it over and he tells her , Tell Your husband im sorry and YES it is covered.......Thank God , got the new convcerter put on today and will pick the car up tomorrow.

Could this have had something to do with my cyl. 1 mis-fire ?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
What might help you is to do a net search on the codes your car is throwing and read up on the possible causes and fixes to the 420, 300, and 301. Bad cats are one of the things listed for 420. You might conclude after reading that a diagnosis might not be as simple as a single "definite" cause......because there are several.

PJ

·
Registered
2004 SRX
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
picked car up on friday. Had new cats put on and suprisingly the fixed the check steering system code free also. have brand new plugs in it. Mileage went from 13.5 up to 16.3 no engine lighst on.....come to red light car shakes like crazy and has a bad skip. I think now it has to be air cleaner or coils.....any ideas ?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
04SRX........I don't like to give too much mechanical advice because I am not an auto mechanic. Nor do I have much experience in these matters. Since you already had your private mechanic and a dealer service tech working on the misfire, I thought they would find the cause.

Do you have the Northstar 4.6L in your SRX?

The reason I ask is that I had a Northstar in my 1998 Oldsmobile Aurora and participated in an Edmunds car forum. A common cause of misfire on the Aurora 4.0L Northstar was a bad coil on one or more of the cylinders. Usually just one and at mileage above 75,000 miles. You have a misfire. The codes you listed included some ignition-caused misfires.

The Aurora quick fix was to just replace the offending coil on the offending cylinder. But soon thereafter some guys then experienced more misfires on other cylinders. The permanent fix was to replace all of the ignition coils at the same time.

Spark plug wire malfunctions were less common. Many posters approaching the 100,000 mile tune-up maintenance therefore opted to swap out all of the plugs and the sparkplug wires at the same time. If they were not experiencing any misfires going into the tune-up, they left the coils alone.

Hope this helps.

PJ

1 - 20 of 21 Posts