Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front struts 'squeek' when I go over bumps. Is it time to replace (car is a '99 Seville SLS, 70K miles, w/electronic struts). If so, where is a good place to get them?

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
dtabbert said:
oh yah, and how much did it cost?
it is much cheaper if you do it yourself, less than $50 i believe. But I am swamped with work and don't have time to do it myself on the weekends. My local shop said they'll do it for around $100 parts and labor.

It is going in tomorrow (Wednesday) so i'll let you know as soon as I drive it home...I live on a VERY bumpy road)

I have no codes just an annoying squeak/rattle over bumps.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
98GreySTSBrad said:
Are you getting a service suspension system message? Mine are sqeaky too over bumps. But I have the message. Mines an STS with 88k miles.
Check your codes. The computer knows something.

MacKiNBack said:
Im also getting some squeaking, but from my rears. Very faint and no codes. Is there a sway bar for the rear?

MacK
Yes there is, but it is much more likely that the rubber padding between the spring and the frame has either worn through or shifted. On my car the padding shifted about 1/4 of an inch which is allowing the spring to contact the frame.

dtabbert said:
Front struts 'squeek' when I go over bumps. Is it time to replace (car is a '99 Seville SLS, 70K miles, w/electronic struts). If so, where is a good place to get them?
I've never heard a sway bar bushing cause a sqeak before, although I guess it could happen. Sqeaks usually do have something to do with the springs. It doesn't necesarrily mean that your struts are bad yet, unless the car nosedives a lot and feels floaty. It means that there is contact between two metal surfaces that are in motion.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I have never heard of a strut squeaking. I am not saying that they won't though. You should look at the strut mounts, sway bar bushings (the ones that mount the sway bar to the frame), control arm bushings.

Don

·
Registered
167 Posts
My '98 with 64K developed a mystery squeak, especially when hot. It sounded like it came from the front, fairly high up, near the cowl area.

When shaking the car at a standstill, engine on or off, the rear squeaked more than the fronts.

I checked over suspension, greased sway bar mounts, checked sway bar links, spring pads, lubed door gaskets, but still had the annoying squeak with temps over about 70.

Friend of mine is a Caddy tech for over five years. He spent 2 1/2 hours disconnecting sway bars, etc., to no avail. The squeak on the right was worse so he tried replacing that strut. Right side squeak gone. He replaced the left strut too. Charged me about $1200.

About 1 1/2 months later, the squeaks are still gone. I don't know how a strut that's full of oil, clean on outside, flawless looking damper rod, etc. can squeak but mine sure did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
Res STS