Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
SRX 07 V8
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on a 200 mile round trip, on the way home I hear squealing when turning, getting louder at each turn, then a constant squeal, my first thought was SOB AC compressor failing again so I pull over to the nest gas station. Then I think no this started when I made my turn, then got worse, so I check the power steering fluid, NONE!!!! I buy some fluid and drive about 20 minutes and the squeal come back, pull over, check the level, NONE, now something is really wrong, next station and I pull over and use my MAG lite and look, I see a lot of fluid on the splash shield below, fill the reservoir and start the truck look again and now I see where its leaking under the power steering pump

going to have to order a new power steering pressure hose, the job is a DIY, time consuming, have to do this cannot sell/trade or drive like this so no choice, another expense, lucky its under 75 dollars for part. Hopefully it did not damage the pump, my opinion if you run a pump dry twice you ruin it, but I want to put as little as possible to this fix.

Jus so I know what to expect has anyone had the symptom of a power steering pump failure, will it squeal even with fluid, give erratic power steering or just completely fail with no warning? Looking at prices pumps are not over the top in price

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
You should be OK. If you do still have some squeal after bleeding add some Lucas PS fixer.

·
Registered
SRX 07 V8
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks read about that fluid in some of your replies concerning this issue in other threads.

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8 AWD
209 Posts
I replaced a leaking return line(18) right at where 17 is located. That is an o ring there which I thought was causing the leak. Actually the line was corroded at the flare where it secures to R&P. Replaced o ring with various sizes before determining it was the line. What a PIA. Hardest part was routing line in its original position. Got new o ring at NAPA for 30 cents where GM wanted $20!!!!!! Good luck with your fix.

·
Registered
SRX 07 V8
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope a new ring comes with the hose? If not its not a normal O-ring at least number 9 from what I read on past threads, hate to do this job twice!!

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8 AWD
209 Posts
The line I got at dealer did not come with ring. I took old ring to NAPA and matched it with one they had which leads me to believe it is a standard size ring. Its been about 2 years ago so I can't help you with the part no.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts