Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else experiencing a swealing noise from the front wheels? The noise comes and goes but it rather persistent and loud at times. Oddly enough, it stops when I apply my brakes where I am then subjected to the brakes squealing. I have taken it to the dealership two times to have them check my brakes, since the noise stops when I apply them. I thought maybe they were not releasing properly. They claim to have found no problems, some pad wear and nothing more. They did clean the rotors during my last visit and that did not help either. The problem started around the 16K mile mark.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My brakes did squeal a little when applied when the car was new, but this has pretty much gone away (8k miles). The service manager of the dealer was aware of it and did mention that they have some sort of bulletin on the brake pads becoming glazed. Maybe this has something to do with your problem.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Myabe you're not braking hard enough. I'm guilty of not braking hard enough--new front pads @ 78k, still have factory rear pads @ 83k--so I always make an attempt to tromp on'em once and a while. If you go through a set of pads in 20 or 30k, you use plenty of enough brake pedal. But if you get 50k or more on a set of pads, you don't brake hard enough, causing the pads to glaze over. The dealership doesn't want to tell you that you're driving like a grandmaw; also, there could be a liabilty issue if you had an accident related to, as you were advised to do--a hard braking situation. By the way, my grandmaw driving style goes into the trunk when I'm sitting at a red light with open highway in front.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
rowens555 said:
Is anyone else experiencing a swealing noise from the front wheels? The noise comes and goes but it rather persistent and loud at times. Oddly enough, it stops when I apply my brakes where I am then subjected to the brakes squealing. I have taken it to the dealership two times to have them check my brakes, since the noise stops when I apply them. I thought maybe they were not releasing properly. They claim to have found no problems, some pad wear and nothing more. They did clean the rotors during my last visit and that did not help either. The problem started around the 16K mile mark.
I had the same problem with my '05 STS and the squealing got worse with milage. The dealer replaced the left front rotor under warranty and the problem is solved. Insist on the rotor replacement if your squeal is happening on and off because it will get worse as the miles roll on .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
GA1019