1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2010 V Sedan 2015 Denali
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brakes squealing

Team,

I have a 2016 V with 7k miles on it. Yes, it's a garage queen. I've had it for about 20 months. I'm not sure when this started, as here in FLA, the heat always requires the windows to be up, and I've usually got some music going. But, recently I've been going crazy about my brakes squealing. Not sure what causes that, or if there is an easy fix, but I can imagine my dealer saying that it's not covered by warranty cuz it's a wear item, or something like that. Seems to me that a $100k+ car. even a GM one, shouldn't have this problem.

I'm hoping to hear some solutions or recommendations, and appreciate them in advance.

Cave

·
Registered
2016 CTS-V, 2010 CTS-V 6MT (Sold), 2007 CTS-V (Sold)
1,409 Posts
Re: Brakes squealing

There is a newer bulletin for this... they replace front and rear pads. Go to your dealer.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts

Brake Pad TSB number is: 17-NA-082. Give your dealer that TSB number and they should replace both front and rear pads for you.

·
Registered
2016 CTS-V Stellar Black Sedan & 2016 ZO6 Corvette
119 Posts

GM-4 Life...can you provide a copy of the bulletin please?

thanks, Marty

·
Registered
5,309 Posts

GM-4 Life...can you provide a copy of the bulletin please?

thanks, Marty
I don't have the actual bulletin, but a member on another forum had his dealer perform this TSB on his car and he provided the TSB number. That's all you have to give your dealer and they can pull it up by the TSB number.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2016 CTS-V
229 Posts

Mine was doing the same thing. GM had them try the BS copper fix that didn’t do anything. So, they then replaced my pads and rotors. Going to pick it up when I get off work today.

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
72 Posts

Picked mine up from the dealer on Monday. Hallelujah - it no longer sounds like an 80s Chevette at every light!!! No more embarrassment - wahoo! I do wonder what's the trade-off, will we find track braking power diminished?

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2016 CTS-V
229 Posts

They replaced my front pads and rotors and no more squeal!!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Pretty ticked off. I've had the squealing brakes issue ever since I took purchase of my car. I've complained twice about the squealing. I saw this post the other day and I took my V3 in. They are now saying that they can't replace it because my brakes are too low and they can't tell if it's squealing issue or if they need to be replaced. I'm so fed up with Hendrick Cadillac in Cary, NC. I've had so many bad experiences with them.

·
Premium Member
2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual
1,371 Posts

^^^ - Definitely sounds like it's time to scout out a different dealer ... !

·
Registered
2016 CTS-V, 2016 SRX
11 Posts

Pretty ticked off. I've had the squealing brakes issue ever since I took purchase of my car. I've complained twice about the squealing. I saw this post the other day and I took my V3 in. They are now saying that they can't replace it because my brakes are too low and they can't tell if it's squealing issue or if they need to be replaced. I'm so fed up with Hendrick Cadillac in Cary, NC. I've had so many bad experiences with them.
How many miles we talking? Maybe they wrote on a precious ticket your complaint and you could find that?

·
Registered
2010 V Sedan 2015 Denali
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

so, I went to the dealer for this, and they just put some lubricant somewhere. said the bulletin I gave them called only for that. would love to know what I should say to them to get everything replaced, as it still sounds like a used pontiac solstice. At least I assume that's what it might sound like.

·
Registered
2016 CTS-V, 2016 SRX
11 Posts

so, I went to the dealer for this, and they just put some lubricant somewhere. said the bulletin I gave them called only for that. would love to know what I should say to them to get everything replaced, as it still sounds like a used pontiac solstice. At least I assume that's what it might sound like.
Their first course is the copper compound, when the squeak comes back they will likely move to the pads. I have a great dealer and he did the pads first but made it clear they don't call for rotors. A few guys have gotten their rotors swapped but they are the exception. FYI, they just put the 2017 pads on to replace, they have a beveled edge. Cuts squeak by 75%.

·
Registered
2016 CTS-V Stellar Black Sedan & 2016 ZO6 Corvette
119 Posts

I would certainly find another dealer operation as the one your took yours to doesn't seem to get the message. The bulletin from GM I saw regarding this issue says change the pads...period. I have had a number of high performance cars over the years and most had brakes that squealed at various times...the basic cure for most was to take the car to a free and clear section of road way and run it up to at least 100 and harshly apply the brakes..several times. This will usually clear the issue for a while....high performance pads and rotors will shed more dust than others and will cause squealing under easy braking. Seems to me that if GM is willing to stand the costs or replacing pads in a number of vehicles, wouldn't one get the feeling there is a problem?

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts

I would certainly find another dealer operation as the one your took yours to doesn't seem to get the message. The bulletin from GM I saw regarding this issue says change the pads...period. I have had a number of high performance cars over the years and most had brakes that squealed at various times...the basic cure for most was to take the car to a free and clear section of road way and run it up to at least 100 and harshly apply the brakes..several times. This will usually clear the issue for a while....high performance pads and rotors will shed more dust than others and will cause squealing under easy braking. Seems to me that if GM is willing to stand the costs or replacing pads in a number of vehicles, wouldn't one get the feeling there is a problem?
you are describing burnishing....this is also detailed in page 182 of the owners manual

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Yes, it's very common and annoying as shit. It gets worse! My front brakes sounds like a 60's Chevelle. Awful. I am looking for an alternative pad to go to. This is unacceptable! If you have a 2016, GM will replace them with the updated 2017 brake pads, but if you have a 2017 like I do, they won't do shit for you. They will tell you these brakes are high performance and it is normal. My V2 brakes never made a peep!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts