Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a premium Lux CT5 AWD 350t with only 5k miles. My brakes squeal when I'm almost at a stop. From about 3mph - 0. The dealer is useless. Is there anybody who has had the same issue or know of any quick fixes?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
1,876 Posts
First determine if it’s the front or the rear. Or both. Then the brake squeals can typically be solved with brake greases and anti squeal stuff found at auto parts stores.
In rare cases where that doesn’t solve it, different pads and/or rotors would be the next repair attempt.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There's likely an issue with the brake pad wear sensors. They run on the rotors and cause squeals or squeaks in certain vehicles. Take it back to dealer and let them know you'd like it addressed. Its a known issue, them not rectifying it is unacceptable

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,623 Posts
good advice for CT5 owners. Unfortunately, the OP hasn't been back since that post.

·
Registered
12 Posts
First determine if it’s the front or the rear. Or both. Then the brake squeals can typically be solved with brake greases and anti squeal stuff found at auto parts stores.
In rare cases where that doesn’t solve it, different pads and/or rotors would be the next repair attempt.
I asked the dealer about this and they told me they took look at the brakes, no debris,etc and then they gave me the party line of you'll hear some noise when backing up inthe morning b/c pieces are rubbing together. I'm not a car guy so I don't know what is true. my CT5 is about 6months, brand new from the factory (4 mi), and I'm at 1700 miles.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I agree that some occasional brake noise or squeal may be normal. But a somewhat consistent, daily, or frequent brake squeal should be fixable.
They can “look” at the brakes all they want to and not see a problem. The brakes will “look” fine. Looking does not solve anything. They need to try to lube them anywhere the metal pad backing plate touches another piece of metal (caliper, piston, pad bracket, etc) and they also need to lube the brake pad clips if the car had them. Brake squeal is caused by very rapid metal on metal vibrations. The lube creates a barrier to metal on metal vibration squeal.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I agree that some occasional brake noise or squeal may be normal. But a somewhat consistent, daily, or frequent brake squeal should be fixable.
They can “look” at the brakes all they want to and not see a problem. The brakes will “look” fine. Looking does not solve anything. They need to try to lube them anywhere the metal pad backing plate touches another piece of metal (caliper, piston, pad bracket, etc) and they also need to lube the brake pad clips if the car had them. Brake squeal is caused by very rapid metal on metal vibrations. The lube creates a barrier to metal on metal vibration squeal.
Print this post and hand it to the service department. They should understand what you want. There is a reason that every auto parts store in North America has brake lube grease and other anti-noise products. Because they are a common problem with a common fix and it’s time for your dealer to provide that fix and not just look at the brakes and shrug there shoulders.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks. why would they give me a song-and-dance on this. My ignorance: but is it THAT difficult to do what you suggest above??? doesn't make sense

·
Registered
12 Posts
Print this post and hand it to the service department. They should understand what you want. There is a reason that every auto parts store in North America has brake lube grease and other anti-noise products. Because they are a common problem with a common fix and it’s time for your dealer to provide that fix and not just look at the brakes and shrug there shoulders.
Thank You

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if you got a young tech who doesn't really know how to fix brake squeal or possibly the dealer is not sure how to get Cadillac to pay a warranty claim for brake lube with aftermarket brake lube products. Or they didn't hear the noise and didn't believe you. Or they didn't hear the noise and didn't know if they should fix the fronts or the rears. Lots of possibilities. If you can tell them front or rear that would help move things along but I understand that is not easy to determine.
My wife and I were able to once determine a rear brake squeal on the Escalade we drive by having her walk next the car while while I made the noise happen (slow speed parking lot driving)

·
Registered
12 Posts
thx I txtd the tech and he said that it already has the lube on there.
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if you got a young tech who doesn't really know how to fix brake squeal or possibly the dealer is not sure how to get Cadillac to pay a warranty claim for brake lube with aftermarket brake lube products. Or they didn't hear the noise and didn't believe you. Or they didn't hear the noise and didn't know if they should fix the fronts or the rears. Lots of possibilities. If you can tell them front or rear that would help move things along but I understand that is not easy to determine.
My wife and I were able to once determine a rear brake squeal on the Escalade we drive by having her walk next the car while while I made the noise happen (slow speed parking lot driving)
Great idea. thanks for all the advice, I'll try that and try and narrow it down. so annoying.. ugh

·
Registered
Prev: 2018 ATS 2.0T NOW: 2020 CT4-V JR
2,607 Posts
They should be able to find a solution. The car should not squeal. I have had Cadillacs for 27 years
and never had a brake squeal when new or with plenty of miles.

You could try some hard stops forward and backwards, to see if it cleans up anything.

Drive with a tech and let him hear it, in case you brake differently, lighter or harder.

You could try different Modes, because the brakes have a different feel in each mode, but
this is just a guess, if it tells you anything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts