Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
none
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 CTS-V coupe just began sputtering/misfiring upon acceleration.
It seems to happen if I stomp it. If I ease into it...everything is good.
Any suggestions?
Spark plugs?

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
Sounds like a fuel issue. Dirty fuel filter, clogged fuel injectors.....

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sounds like you should have your fuel pressure checked. If the fuel pump is getting weak, pressure could be low under a load, which means you're running lean. Stay out of boost until you get this resolved.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
Sounds like you should have your fuel pressure checked. If the fuel pump is getting weak, pressure could be low under a load, which means you're running lean. Stay out of boost until you get this resolved.
Never heard that before. How do you get fuel pressure checked?
The OP said if he eases into the throttle there is no problem. If it's a fuel pressure/fuel pump issue, wouldn't it be even more noticeable as the demand for fuel increases under throttle (sudden or gradual)?

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
I would check the coil packs, plug wires and plugs. It's one of those three. Plugs and wires should really be changed at 30K miles. Coil packs do go bad. Check each one of these and replace the plugs and wires as it is overdue anyway.

You can't replace the fuel filter on these cars easily as the fuel filter is inside the fuel tank.

·
Registered
none
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I only run 91 octane...Shell. I only go to one particular gas station. I'll probably start with the spark plugs. See what happens then change gas stations...maybe bad gas?

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Check the wires. They may be cooked from the extreme heat these engines put out. The wires may be frayed. I would replace plugs and wires in one shot. If it still misfires, check each coil pack and replace which ever one is shorting out.

·
Registered
none
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, here is the latest. I took it to the dealer and they did not find a code. The service foreman says it it the wheels slipping and is normal. While there, the dealer changed the supercharger under warranty due to bearing noise.
It drove well, except for last night. I was driving like you would drive a CTS-V...somewhat aggressive; accelerating here and there. When I accelerated hard, it would lose power, almost stall; then pick right back up. It did this a few time. There were not dummy lights that came on and I was not in the rev limiter. I'll be taking the car back to the dealer today. Any suggestions?
BTW... this dealer is where the car was customized and spent it's entire life at this dealership as the dealer show car on the showroom floor. So these guys no the car well. But I am tempted to go to a D3 in Long Beach to have them check it out. What do you guys think?

----------

Well, here is the latest. I took it to the dealer and they did not find a code. The service foreman says it it the wheels slipping and is normal. While there, the dealer changed the supercharger under warranty due to bearing noise.
It drove well, except for last night. I was driving like you would drive a CTS-V...somewhat aggressive; accelerating here and there. When I accelerated hard, it would lose power, almost stall; then pick right back up. It did this a few time. There were not dummy lights that came on and I was not in the rev limiter. I'll be taking the car back to the dealer today. Any suggestions?
BTW... this dealer is where the car was customized and spent it's entire life at this dealership as the dealer show car on the showroom floor. So these guys no the car well. But I am tempted to go to a D3 in Long Beach to have them check it out. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual
1,371 Posts
In any event - it sounds like the traction control nannys kicked in while you were driving around. It happens sometime when you start to spin the tires. Turn the nannys off and drive, "somewhat aggressive", again to see if you lose power.

·
Registered
'09V [email protected] stock, '15i Escalade ESV, '18 Silverado LT
654 Posts
Had something similar happen to me. The tc light would flash though, usually around 3-4 shift would bog down. The dealership replaced the crankshaft posistion sensor iirc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts