Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
'04 CTSV
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit some water while making a turn at speed and lost control of the car. It spun once and then COMPLETELY SHUT DOWN. I didn't hit anything, I just came to a dead stop in the middle of the road. No radio, no Onstar, no domelights, No dashlights, no 'clicking', I mean nothing. I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes, and then reconnected it, and I could not even get the windows to roll back up. It's at the dealership, and they've already replaced the battery, but nothing changed, and they cannot figure out what's wrong. I'm being told it's not under warranty because of the audio upgrades, but they have no idea what's wrong yet, they're just sure that it must be something I had done to the car a year ago. I'm prepared to argue the warranty issue once the problem is actually identified, but any ideas to get the tech charging me by the hour who has already had the car a day and a half, on the right track? I'm in trouble here, and I'm already at the best dealership for my area.

Thanks for any ideas!

·
Registered
'04 CTSV
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly my first guess after disconnecting/reconnecting the battery. I could lock the car with the key fob (couldn't unlock it though....), and manually turn on the headlights, but no domes or even dashlights, and the key in any position in the ignition produced no results. I guess "NOTHING" isn't entirely correct on my part. Are there any safety features our computers have to shut down if it senses an accident? I think there is one that is mechanical, you actually have to impact it to set it off, but is there a g-trigger or anything else I could have set off without an actual impact?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Well give us some details and pics into these audio upgrades that caused you to spin out and make the rest of the electrical system not work!
Seriously, lets see your set up.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
235 Posts
What kind of audio set-up do you have that would make your car shut down after a spin out??

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
^^ That's why police use the PIT move. It spins the car and shuts it down.

·
Registered
05 Redline CTS-V
8,439 Posts
isnt there something.....when the car thinks its crashing, that trips and shuts the fuel off? you have to reset that
inertia switches... i know they are in at least 3 locations on most cars

designed to shut the car off in any uprighting type situation. rollovers car up on side type of things, if you spun fast enough i think they are set for anywhere between 3 and 4 g's... that could have tripped it....

they usually look like a plunger switch about 1"x1"x3" with 3 wires coming out of them, at least on most of the cars i've ever worked on... good question for ewill

·
Registered
05 Redline CTS-V
8,439 Posts
^^ That's why police use the PIT move. It spins the car and shuts it down.

kinda sorta... the main reason for using the PIT maneuver is to spin out thec ar not to shut them off.... if that was the case there wouldnt be a push to develop some sort of passive EMP shutdown grenade....

more often than not the PIT maneuver is recommended to put someone in a ditch or slow them down enough that they can be boxed in, it is not listed in the manual as a method for DISABLING a vehicle.

and yes, i checked the emergency responders manual ...

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Just another satisfied Bondurant graduate...:yup:
:yeah:

Wish I could help, I have never had a car completely shutdown on me, and I have spun a couple out. I spun out my Saturn once and the engine didnt even shut off. It was idling when I came to a stop.

·
Registered
'04 CTSV
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll post some pics of the audio when I get home, but it's pretty tame and very clean. 2 amps, 1 cap, R/F 360 with 0g power line fused twice, just standard stuff and wired tight. I think the dealership is just so unsure that their only reaction left is to blame me until it's figured out. You should have seen the look on the shop managers face when I asked him if we had a crash or g-sensor......he had no idea.... I'll definately let you know once it finally get's figured out, and thanks for the suggestions so far! (and I don't know if the water was deep enough to splash up the front to short everything out, but I'm heading to the dealership to roll up my sleeves and get under the car myself, so I'll make sure it gets checked out.)

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
389 Posts
Yeah, most cars have an inertial switch, although I was always under the impression that it just shut down the fuel system. But someone with a manual should be able to look that one up for you. I used to know where it was on the C5, but I have no idea on the V...

-B

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
My Maxima was at the dealer one time for intermittent starting problems (in that it wouldnt). The had the car two weeks. The service manager and their lead mechanic (a Nissan God believe me) spent countless hours on the phone with Nissan USA and even the engineers in Japan trying to diagnose it.

In the end, the answer came from a Nissan dealer in phoenix who had fixed a Maxima with the same exact problem. Turns out it was corrosion between the engine and transmission causing a variable voltage drop that was confusing the computer into prohibiting spark.

My point, is the tiniest thing that no one would ever think about could be the culprit, in your case as well.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts