Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen quite a few "Spring Edition" deVilles around, either in real life or on eBay. Usually they've got the factory optional cloth top, six slot Fleetwood wheels, perforated leather seats, body colored door handles and they're usually black or white. Why were they made? I've never seen them mentioned in any of the brochures I have (I have all of the 89-93 full line ones). What else was in them? Were they much more expensive new than the other deVilles? When did they start and stop making them?

I think they're pretty cool. I'd love to have one, especially a triple black one, damn that'd look great! :bouncy:

Here's an example of one...a triple black '92.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-CADILLAC-DEVILLE-68-167-MILES_W0QQitemZ250118338765QQihZ015QQcategoryZ6146QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
I wish I had a good answer. I remember them having a lighter interior wood trim and other slight cosmetic differences. I'm surprised you don't find them in the brochures.

·
Registered
97 Deville
169 Posts
I could be wrong, but "Spring Editions" are just slight differences made aftermarket by the dealer to charge a little more. They usually have a soft top, and some sort of embroidery in the seats. Some have different grilles. They also had "Ninety Special" models which were dealer setups that were not factory. I've seen "Diplomat Edition", Presidential Edition, Florida Edition, California Edition, and Executive Edition. They are just dealer added option packages.

·
Registered
1993 CDV 102k
982 Posts
Spring editions are a factory option. I think it may just have been a 91-93 package. Sandy may have some numbers.

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
Spring Editions were not in the brochures, as.....get ready.....
they came out in the SPRING, 7 months AFTER the brochures were printed.....But for every year, there was a seperate SPRING EDITIONS
brochure available, but scarce !

I have the production #s for some ofthe years - but there were none that was low enough to excite. Usually like 2,000 in each color & usually like 4 colors.

·
Registered
81 Eldorado, 91 Sedan DeVille, 91, Fleewtwood, 92 Brougham
203 Posts
Wasn't this a heavily disounted option package???? It seems like I've seen the cost for the package being just a couple of hundred bucks but included quite a bit of equipment??

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
No. There was like a $500.00 discount off list, but the package was usually around $2,000 to $2,500

·
Registered
Deville, DTS, STS, CTS, Escalade, Allante
18 Posts
Spring Edition Cars were out as early as 87 on coupe devilles. Offered in Carmine Red, Saphire Blue or Cotillion white all with white tops and two tone interiors. The 92 and 93s were like mentioned earlier with tops, perforated leather and body color door handles. In 1995 The Spring Edition had no cloth top and introduced the Shale Beige color as a Spring Edition only color for 95 then available on all 96s. They all had gold package, lighter wood trim and chrome wheels. The 96s had perforated leather, chrome wheels, gold package and the last year for cloth tops from the factory. After 97 they were mostly packages with chrome wheels, comfort and convenience package and sunroofs for a discounted option package price.

·
Registered
1995 Sedan Deville Spring Edition
268 Posts
Yup,

What cadysrme said. Spring specials came out in the spring (imagine that) with special packages (mostly appearance related) that varied by year. After 1993, the spring special packages were less like...pimpmobiles, for lack of a better description.

I have a 1995 Spring Special. Cotillion White (no cloth top) with neutral shale interior, gold ornamentation and the 40 slot chromed 15" cast aluminum wheels that were originally spec'd for the 1993 Sixty Special I believe. It had the "Light Canyonwood" plastic trim inside on the doors and dash, but this has all been pulled and replaced with the real zebrano wood from a 1995 Concours that I parted some time ago. I hate to say it, but the original light trim was just ugly, and far to fake looking - quite obviously plastic even to the untrained eye.

Anyway, I love the car. It isn't that unique in terms of color combo or options, but it looks sharp in white over shale and I do like the gold package (the hood ornament, trunk emblem and sail panel emblems get the gold treatment). It has also been the most reliable, solid car I could hope to own. It must have have been built on a day when the whole assembly plant was on their A-game, hell it is 12 years old and looks and runs like brand new.

Granted I do all the maintenance and repairs myself, and I try to do preventive maintenance as much as possible (replacement of parts BEFORE they wear out or break) but the car has only shafted me once - the oil pump seized up at 110,000 - and there was NO engine damage. Put in a new pump and got it back on the road in no time. It has 116,550 (it gets used mostly on the weekend, I drive a service van during the week) on it now and I marvel at how clean and sharp it is every time I look at it.

Really, I wish I could replicate this car, and keep driving it (or it's clones) forever - it is that good.

KDirk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts