Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have a problem with my Sport mode on my 05 . I was on the highway and got a challenge from a 5 series BMW . I accepted the challange, I pressed the sport mode button and nailed the gas . The car's rpm gauge went to 5000 rpm and never shifted out so I let off the gas and the tac gauge stayed at 5000 rpm along with the engine , the only way I could get it to release was to shut the Sport mode off. Has anyone encountered this problem before ?:confused:

·
Registered
2005 Black Raven CTS 1SB, Luxury and Sport packages
172 Posts
It shouldn't shift up until about 6700-7000 RPM. If you aren't going fast enough to hit that range, it's designed to remain in the lower gear and maintain a higher RPM so you don't have to wait for it to downshift. After 10 seconds or so of cruising at the higher RPM, it should shift up.

Quote from the owner's manual on page 2-30:

"When driving in sport mode, the transmission may remain in a gear longer than it would in normal driving mode. Also, if the transmission is in AUTOMATIC OVERDRIVE (D) when the sport mode button is pressed, the transmission will immediately downshift into FOURTH (4) gear to provide more power. Both of these situations are normal and do not indicate a transmission problem."

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
rich9426 said:
I seem to have a problem with my Sport mode on my 05 . I was on the highway and got a challenge from a 5 series BMW . I accepted the challange, I pressed the sport mode button and nailed the gas . The car's rpm gauge went to 5000 rpm and never shifted out so I let off the gas and the tac gauge stayed at 5000 rpm along with the engine , the only way I could get it to release was to shut the Sport mode off. Has anyone encountered this problem before ?:confused:
that's perfectly normal

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
rich9426 said:
Like everyone else said, completly normal aspect of sport mode is to hold high RPM's.

White diamond in North Providence Huh? I think I might've seen you around. Mind if I stray off topic and ask where you bought her from?

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux/Sport
364 Posts
Thats normal when in sport mode if you keep it floored it will go to red line before it shifts. You should have held it there and un less it was a V8 model 5 series you would have taken him on accel and top end.

·
Registered
2006 CTS 3.6 Lux/Sport
4 Posts
I just moved up from an Acura TL-S to a 2006 CTS 3.6. This is a phenomenal car! If I am in Sport Mode, does the car always start out in 2nd gear, unless of course I manually pull it back to 1? The Acura shifted itself from 1 to 2 automatically. I bounced the CTS off red line in 1st gear the first day I got it - I was expecting a shift. Thanks,

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
yeah i was impressed with that also. usually cars will want to shift much before redline. with sport, i goosed it pretty good and my passenger (an avid street racer) said...dude you just tach'ed redline in this caddy. thought it was pretty amusing.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
dlarocque said:
I just moved up from an Acura TL-S to a 2006 CTS 3.6. This is a phenomenal car! If I am in Sport Mode, does the car always start out in 2nd gear, unless of course I manually pull it back to 1? The Acura shifted itself from 1 to 2 automatically. I bounced the CTS off red line in 1st gear the first day I got it - I was expecting a shift. Thanks,
From a stop position it should always start in 1st gear.

Rich,
I take it you lost the race!:eek: :D

·
Registered
2006 CTS 3.6 Lux/Sport
4 Posts
I have always believed the best way to break in a new car is to drive it the way you plan to drive it - from the get-go. It has always worked for me.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 Performance Luxury
1,035 Posts
dlarocque said:
I have always believed the best way to break in a new car is to drive it the way you plan to drive it - from the get-go. It has always worked for me.
My father in law is a retired state trooper. He said they were told to break-in their pursuit cars (Z-28 coupes) by hot rodding them after the first 500 miles to prepare them for different drivers and being driven hard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts