Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
14 ATS 2.0/11 Camaro SS
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 ATS 2.0T Luxury A6.

I know in the highest trim, Sport Mode changes the variation of the MRC shocks.

In the Luxury trim, does Sport Mode do anything other than some tranny adjustments? I cant seem to find a good description of this feature anywhere

·
Registered
2015 ATS 2.0T Luxury
40 Posts
I have 2.0T luxury and I do not see any "tranny adjustments". The only thing I notice is suspension is more hard and steering wheel also turn a little harder. But I came from BMW so I like it.

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,513 Posts
The suspension on a luxury changes? I feel nothing with that. Seems I feel a difference in the tranny and steering but not the suspension.

·
Registered
CTS AWD DI
68 Posts
In my opinion it does absolutely nothing. It is like when you were a kid and had the toy that when you pushed a button a light would come on. That is what we have here a little light on the dash that does nothing.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I had one on a big wheel. I thought I could go faster by hitting the button. My friend didn't have it on his so I thought mine was better. Come to think about it he was faster because he weighed more going down the hill by my house. Truthfully I feel nothing in sport. But I can say it burns more gas. So it must be doing something. Maybe it's a button for spending more money on gas.:suspense:

Daryl
In my opinion it does absolutely nothing. It is like when you were a kid and had the toy that when you pushed a button a light would come on. That is what we have here a little light on the dash that does nothing.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V 6MT; 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD
288 Posts
steptoe said:
You should be able to notice a difference if you drive the car hard for about 10 minutes with Sport mode on. The tranny will hold shifts longer in turns and will downshift early when braking to keep RPMs higher.

·
Registered
CTS AWD DI
68 Posts
I will check that out. I do not notice any difference in gas consumption either.
You should be able to notice a difference if you drive the car hard for about 10 minutes with Sport mode on. The tranny will hold shifts longer in turns and will downshift early when braking to keep RPMs higher.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
No your right it just don't feel much different for me. I drove mine in sport mode for over a year when I got it. Now I don't bother unless I think someone is going to try and run me at a light. Then I switch to sport and manual. But for mine it might feel and be slightly different with the AWD. I can see the difference in fuel though with mine. It seems to eat up gas in sport mode. And it shows on my the DIC. I get better fuel usage in tour mode. Drive in sport mode for a week and see if the average drops.

·
Registered
2014 Red Obsession ATS Premium 3.6L
601 Posts
same feeling here. had a 2.0 ats loaner even a 2.0 cts loaner, sport mode barely felt any difference. Either the 3.6 engine or the mrc that I have is contributing greatly to the great sport response in my 3.6 prem

duneless said:
No your right it just don't feel much different for me. I drove mine in sport mode for over a year when I got it. Now I don't bother unless I think someone is going to try and run me at a light. Then I switch to sport and manual. But for mine it might feel and be slightly different with the AWD. I can see the difference in fuel though with mine. It seems to eat up gas in sport mode. And it shows on my the DIC. I get better fuel usage in tour mode. Drive in sport mode for a week and see if the average drops.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0 MT
68 Posts
What about sport mode with the the manual gearbox? I have standard trim with the manual - I thought sport mode increased steering effort, but it may be my imagination or it is just very subtle. Throttle response does not feel different either(?)

Anthony

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0 AWD
77 Posts
Sport mode will hold the lowers gears longer and tighten up steering a bit. It is not dramatic, it's not even a big difference but is noticeable, virtually no car is going to have a "sport mode" that makes it feel like a brand new car.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,665 Posts
The sport mode may be more noticeable in the 3.6 models and my only experience with a 2.0T was a brief test drive. The transmission programming is noticeably different and of course the change in MRC damping is very noticeable. The change in steering feel is more subtle and I don't notice any throttle mapping difference between sport and touring modes unlike what happens when using weather mode. The traction and stability control system parameters are also changed but these won't be noticeable until you engage in more aggressive maneuvers.

The differences are much more noticeable in other vehicles such as the latest generation Corvette but those are in a different vehicle category.

·
Registered
2004 CTS (sold), 2014 ATS
453 Posts
I pretty much only use 'normal' mode. I don't like snow mode with it taking off in 2nd (feels to dull), and I like the way the 2.0 torques it out in lower gears so I wouldn't want sport mode calling for unnecessary downshifts all the time. If I'm in a situation where I don't think I'll like the gear the tranny chooses, I'll just go into manual mode.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T Performance
88 Posts
I definitely notice a difference in auto transmission programming in Sport mode in my 2.0T Performance. It holds gears longer in hard acceleration and downshifts early when braking, which gives a nice blip from the exhaust (which is obviously sweeter in the V6). Maybe quicker throttle response, but I'm not sure. I don't notice any changes to steering and certainly not to the suspension. But, of course, we don't exactly have a lot of curvy mountains to carve here in central Texas. The only time I'm driving in sport mode is when I'm driving aggressively, so I can't speak to changes in fuel consumption. Personally, I prefer to just turn off the traction control and use the paddles if I'm feeling sporty.

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
Then your're opinion would be wrong....steering is affected, hardly noticeable though 2014 cars have lower steering assist (harder to turn) than 2013 so i don't feel the difference but i do notice that i wander less in my lane on the freeway in sport mode...in 2013 steering effort was so light sport mode was easier to feel

transmission shift logic is changes, from an economy mode (upshifts more to keep revs low) to a sport mode (shifts later and downshifts more to keep revs up)...obviously manual equipped cars see no benefit

suspension stiffens on cars equipped with FE3 Magnetic ride sport suspension...again cars not equipped (anything below premium, and all AWD cars are FE2 sport suspension) see no benefit

lastly what everyone here hasn't mentioned yet is PAL (Performance Algorithm Liftfoot) is engaged in sport mode, this is sort of a 3rd hidden shift logic the looks for aggressive braking, sudden throttle lift, and high G turning and will kick in and REALLY hold high revs and fire off really aggressive rev matched downshifts when needed it's designed to rocket you out of corners past the apex....it will litterally blip, blip while you're braking hard into corner and engine will be screaming at apex and with throttle on you will be spit out the other side of corner at great speed...it's a lot of fun...unless you are in a string of turns back to back PAL will only stay engaged for about 15 to 30 seconds then transmission will go back to standard sport mode shift logic until it detects another hard brake or high G turn

·
Registered
CTS AWD DI
68 Posts
Whatever, you can use a lot of big words and tech talk but for me I notice nothing if there is a difference it is miniscule. In not a mechanic or an engineer but I know what I feel and hear.
Then your're opinion would be wrong....steering is affected, hardly noticeable though 2014 cars have lower steering assist (harder to turn) than 2013 so i don't feel the difference but i do notice that i wander less in my lane on the freeway in sport mode...in 2013 steering effort was so light sport mode was easier to feel

transmission shift logic is changes, from an economy mode (upshifts more to keep revs low) to a sport mode (shifts later and downshifts more to keep revs up)...obviously manual equipped cars see no benefit

suspension stiffens on cars equipped with FE3 Magnetic ride sport suspension...again cars not equipped (anything below premium, and all AWD cars are FE2 sport suspension) see no benefit

lastly what everyone here hasn't mentioned yet is PAL (Performance Algorithm Liftfoot) is engaged in sport mode, this is sort of a 3rd hidden shift logic the looks for aggressive braking, sudden throttle lift, and high G turning and will kick in and REALLY hold high revs and fire off really aggressive rev matched downshifts when needed it's designed to rocket you out of corners past the apex....it will litterally blip, blip while you're braking hard into corner and engine will be screaming at apex and with throttle on you will be spit out the other side of corner at great speed...it's a lot of fun...unless you are in a string of turns back to back PAL will only stay engaged for about 15 to 30 seconds then transmission will go back to standard sport mode shift logic until it detects another hard brake or high G turn

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,402 Posts
Whatever, you can use a lot of big words and tech talk but for me I notice nothing if there is a difference it is miniscule. In not a mechanic or an engineer but I know what I feel and hear.
Which car do you have?

·
Registered
2015 ATS 2.0T Luxury
40 Posts
2015 ATS 2.0T. In sport mode steering and suspension get more hard. Don't see any changes in shifting. Period.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts