Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1964 Cadillac Sedan Deville
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’d like to start this off by saying I’m not a novice in brakes but can’t figure this out.
Little back story but I feel it’s necessary. When I bought the car it pulled hard left when you hit the brakes and the rear driver side brakes were toast. So I replaced all the shoes, hardware and wheel cylinders for all four wheels (has 4 wheel drum). While bleeding the brakes I snapped the master cylinder reservoir bolt so I replaced the entire master cylinder. Brakes still solid but pulled to the left. Figured my rubber hoses were bad so I replaced all four. After bleeding the brakes about 7 times(I did accidentally run the rear dry, but not getting air anymore) the pedal goes about 4” before any stopping happens but when you finally get down there it has no issue stopping and stops straight. The pedal doesn’t go to the floor but just above it. What am I missing here!?
Any help is appreciated

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,947 Posts
Pull the drums, check the wheel cylinders. Peel back the rubber caps and look inside.

Try and car bleed the master. Crack the line, re-bleed it. Then, suspect a bad master again.

·
Registered
1964 Cadillac Sedan Deville
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: I installed the bench bleeder nut on the master cylinder one reservoir at a time and found when I blocked the reservoir for the front brakes the peddle was firm. I replaced a chunk of line and the fitting that attaches to the rubber hose. While bleeding I noticed if I jiggle the hose fluid will seep from the crushed on fitting. I think this might be my problem

·
Registered
96 FWB
884 Posts
....... So I replaced all the shoes, hardware and wheel cylinders for all four wheels (has 4 wheel drum). ......
Glad you sound fixed up. The above jumped out at me as drums need attending as well, anytime redoing shoes - and vice versa. The cost has gotten to be a toss-up nowadays turning v. replacing new.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts