Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have owned this great CTS-V since January and it's been a lot of fun. But like most of us have discovered. The way we drive these cars sometimes has it's consequences. Mine are not that bad because so far it has all been covered under warranty. After 3 months of some spirited driving, my water pump started to fail and needed to be replaced. NOW.. after a lot more of that uber spirited driving :eek: , my radiator is leaking. Nice of GM to say they cover it. Sorry for the ranting.. Just needed to vent. Have not had any of the famous diff issues. "knock on wood".

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
You may be lucky in one sense. The radiator leak is going to get you an improved version of the original, which is a $400 part. I have wanted mine to leak just to get the new version, which is designed to better withstand sustained high speed operation.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah.. Unless they dont make anymore radiators for 2004 and only offer the upgraded radiator.. I am sure I will get the regular basic 2004 CTS-V radiator. My dealer is not toooo bright when it comes to CTS-V's. As a matter of fact , the service tech said to me.. " wow, we don't usually deal with these cars" What a sound a relief it was to hear that from him! Some no good tech is going to destroy my car!

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Yeah.. Unless they dont make anymore radiators for 2004 and only offer the upgraded radiator.. I am sure I will get the regular basic 2004 CTS-V radiator. My dealer is not toooo bright when it comes to CTS-V's. As a matter of fact , the service tech said to me.. " wow, we don't usually deal with these cars" What a sound a relief it was to hear that from him! Some no good tech is going to destroy my car!
The dealer should follow the TSB which states:

Cooling System - Coolant Leaks From Radiator

Bulletin No.: 05-06-02-005A
Date: November 03, 2005
TECHNICAL
Subject:
Coolant Leak (Replace Radiator)

Models:
2004-2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Built Prior To and Including VIN Breakpoint 50193910
Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to update the part information with a new part number. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-06-02-005 (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).
Condition
Some customers may comment on a coolant leak. Upon investigation, the technician may find that the leaks appears to be coming from the lower radiator tank near the lower hose outlet.
Cause
The cooling system may experience increased internal pressures during sustained high RPMs at elevated operating temperatures. This increased pressure may cause a weakening of the core-to-tank mating surface.
Correction
Replace the radiator with a redesigned radiator, P/N 19129908.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah.. I am thinking once they fix the radiator.. I will start heading to VA at Lindsay since with no traffic it's about a 25 min ride.

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
25 minutes? It takes me longer to get to my dealer. You are nuts not to go there to begin with.

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
I would go there if they were less then 90 minutes from my house.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
Now THAT'S sure going to inspire some confidence! :helpless: I would've pushed my car out of there by hand if I had to.
:yeah:

I think someone needs to wake up GM and tell them they need to train some of these "five star" dealeerships.

If I lived that close to Lindsay I would already be penniless from moditis.
:yeah:

On the ohter side of the states and spending too much, can't imagine what it would be like if I could drive the truck over, maybe a LS7 motor for the V? Good thing I live in CA!

We all wish we could take our V's there.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I would do 90 minutes but 3 days would be a bit much!

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V Infared, 2013ATS, 2016 ATSV
919 Posts
Does the rad replace TSB include regular CTS models? It just talks about the V series. My CTS has a water leak every once in a while and dealer can't find it. It only leaks on a hot day when driving fast. Then it will puke about half a litre and not leak again.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Does the rad replace TSB include regular CTS models? It just talks about the V series. My CTS has a water leak every once in a while and dealer can't find it. It only leaks on a hot day when driving fast. Then it will puke about half a litre and not leak again.
That particular TSB only applies to CTS-Vs. In fact, as it says it only applies to some CTS-Vs. I only have access to CTS-V TSBs (through a subscription) so there may, or may not, be a similar TSB on a similar, but not identical, CTS issue. (I am assuming that an identical issue would have delineated within the same TSB because that seems to be GM's practice on other TSB that I have seen.)

See also the FAQs elsewhere in this forum.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,676 Posts
I'm up in Ontario, Canada and I'm thinking about a road trip to Lindsay. I think it's about 600 miles. If they can put a '06 rear diff in it for me and I can find something (carshow?) to do there, I'm up for it. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts