Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Escalade EXT
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day on my 2005 Escalade Ext my speedometer began to act erratically. I would be going around 40 and it would read 80mph. When I shut off my vehicle, the needle stayed at 20. Next day it read even faster as I was driving. Today it stopped at 60 mph when vehicle was turned off. Ironically, my Escalade is in for inspection today. The dealer said that this is a "common problem" and that the ENTIRE instrument gauge panel will need replaced. Every other gauge works perfectly fine. This all began with all of this cold weather but I am sure that is coincidental. My question is this?? Do I need the entire cluster with all gauges replaced? I have learned unfortunately that many times the dealer is not correct and that is why I am seeking advice from my fellow Caddy owners here. I guess I thought there was a way to "recalibrate' the speedometer or some other way to "fix it". The dealer said the cluster would cost around $300.00 and God knows what the labor would be. Anyone able to give me an expert opinion? As always, thank you everyone for your time and advice. This forum is a great place to seek help.

·
Registered
05 Escalade
14 Posts
I believe they are called Stepper motors in the cluster...common GM problem, but there's a guy in CT that rebuilds them for cheap. I can't remember, but im sure a google search with that info might lead you in the right direction.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Contact this guy I had him do my dad's h2 cluster when it started doing this and powering up when it didn't need to(no key)
Terry White
2824 Villa Venezia Ct.
Ocean Springs, MS

[email protected]

Here's the pricing breakdown:

Gauge cluster LED conversion $65(add $50 to do rebuild)
Replacement needles(optional) $50
Headlight switch $20
Cargo/fog switch $20
Steering wheel buttons $40
Climate control $55
Heated seat switches $35(pair)
4X4 switch $35
Front door window/lock switch panels $65(pair)
Rear door window switches $25(pair)
Factory radio $70

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,120 Posts
If you have soldering skills GM stepper motors are around $3 on eBay and there are some good tutorials on YouTube. Search for GM Stepper Motors on both.

·
Registered
Escalade EXT
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the advice!!! Since the dealer will not inspect my vehicle with the speedometer not working correctly (the odometer is not adding miles) and my inspection runs out Saturday, I had no choice but to have them order the new cluster. Will cost $363 (parts and labor) and take an hour or so to do It will be here over the weekend. I'm having it done Monday so I can be legal inspection-wise. I guess sometimes we have to bite the bullet on these things. They did say this was a common problem with a lot of the GM SUVs . I wonder if the problem was rectified in the 2007-2014 generation vehicles? I did see that a few years ago, there was an issue with this exact problem in a service bulletin. It seems the more features a vehicle has, the more that can go wrong. Oh well, not the end of the world by a long shot. Thanks again!!!

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,120 Posts
A bad Stepper Motor would not cause the odometer to stop working. I hope the replacement cluster takes care of it all. Please let us know if that is all they find wrong.

·
Registered
2005 Escalade ESV, White Diamond Pearl
342 Posts
The other day on my 2005 Escalade Ext my speedometer began to act erratically. I would be going around 40 and it would read 80mph. When I shut off my vehicle, the needle stayed at 20. Next day it read even faster as I was driving. Today it stopped at 60 mph when vehicle was turned off. Ironically, my Escalade is in for inspection today. The dealer said that this is a "common problem" and that the ENTIRE instrument gauge panel will need replaced. Every other gauge works perfectly fine. This all began with all of this cold weather but I am sure that is coincidental. My question is this?? Do I need the entire cluster with all gauges replaced? I have learned unfortunately that many times the dealer is not correct and that is why I am seeking advice from my fellow Caddy owners here. I guess I thought there was a way to "recalibrate' the speedometer or some other way to "fix it". The dealer said the cluster would cost around $300.00 and God knows what the labor would be. Anyone able to give me an expert opinion? As always, thank you everyone for your time and advice. This forum is a great place to seek help.

Mine did the same thing last week.. Back to normal now . I already have new stepper motors, just haven't fixed them yet. Should not affect odometer. That was bs to force you into action.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts