Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1996 eldorado, 2009 STS, 2004 XLR
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I bought this eldo, (96'), the speedometer has been off about 10-15 mph. It's reading faster than I'm actually going. Guage, sender in tranny? Everythings stock, tires, wheels. etc. Is there an adjustment?
Any help appreciated. It's really annoying.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,006 Posts
On most of these cars you can change the display from MPH to KmH and vice versa. Owner's manual.

In my STS the feature is in a dashboard "ENG/MET" button. Your car may need a setting in the DIC programming to be changed - it's DIY, though.

·
Registered
2007 srx 1997 etc 1993 allante 1970 coupe deville 1979 t/a
112 Posts
once back in 1997 my etc was reading inaccurate, your car has two speedometer readings, using the onboard computer make the mph read in the digtal display where your temperature,fuel and codes are displayed..my speed was reading 18 mph lower at the needle compared to the other speed reading displayed..mine was a bad instrument cluster and was replaced under warranty along with a certified letter from the dealership to give to the judge to help on the speeding ticket that i had gotten.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked the display, it's in mph. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
chp350, howd you go about getting your digital display to show the speed?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Josh,..see sticky notes at the top...how to pull codes...dont remember from sitting here at the home computer but if I was sitting in the car I could tell you exactly how to do it..I know you will enter into the ipc? to do it ..If you dont figure it out or someone on here with a better memory than me dosn't post exactly how to do it I will tommorrow when I drive the etc.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,006 Posts
This is a stretch, but take a look at the tire spec sticker on the driver's door - are the tires on the car the correct size ?

Tire size has a distinct effect on speedometer accuracy.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Here is something to check:

Enter in diagnose mode (Ignition ON – engine can be either on or off - and press and hold Pas Warmer & AC OFF until all dashboard lights and display elements will light up – IS OK don’t be alarm is just to test if working - it is called segment text).
Focus your attention to the IPC display strip (where you read your trip, the odometer and the messages like “Apply break to …”). The display will show some codes like “B1234 History”, or “NO RFA CODES” with a frequency of one every 2 – 3 seconds. Either wait until the display will show “PCM?” or just press FAN SPEED DOWN (i.e. NO) to skip the codes display sequence.

Here are some general instructions:
FAN SPEED DOWN = NO
FAN SPEED UP = YES
A/C OFF = EXIT CURRENT MENU
TURN IGNITION OFF = END ALL
(you can do this at ANY time, say if you are lost)

Now let’s return…
When you see on the display “PCM?” press FAN SPEED DOWN (NO) to get to the next menu (“PCM?” means “Do you want to enter in the PCM menu?” and your answer is NO – FAN SPEED DOWN).
Press NO until the display will show “IPC?” witch in fact is the next menu after PCM (so you only need to press NO once. But should you accidentally pass the IPC menu NO biggie, just press NO until the “IPC?” menu will show up again. The menus are enumerated in a circular manner (once you got to the last one the first one is displayed as next). The menu sequence is: PCM, IPC, ACM, SIR, TCS, RSS, PZM, IRC, RFA, CCP, MSM, MMM, PHN (not all menus are available, some are options that may or may not equip your vehicle).
So you see “IPC?” on the screen ( i.e. “Do you want to enter in the IPC menu?” Your answer should be YES) press FAN SPEED UP to enter in the IPC menu.
Once in the IPC menu you will be prompted: “IPC CODES?”, “IPC DATA?”, IPC INPUTS?” “IPC OVERRIDES?”. Press NO (FAN SPEED DOWN) until “IPC OVERRIDES?”.
“IPC OVERRIDES?” press YES (FAN SPEED UP). And then press NO (FAN SPED DOWN) until IPS02 OPTION B. In 1-2 seconds the IPS02 value will be displayed where your trip odometer usually displays.
IF your speedometer is in miles the correct value you should read is 0 (ZERO), if in KM should read either 1 - Norway/Sweden, 2 - Canada, 4 – Saudi Arabia, 8 – Japan and 16 - Europe.
If it doesn’t match then change the value using the PAS WARMER - red (+1) and PAS COOLER – blue (-1).
Please MAKE SURE you only use the values mentioned above (or else you will need a new IPC). Once the proper value set press and HOLD the Front Defrost (Symbol) and A/C OFF buttons until the value flashes (in about 3 seconds).

Should you be lost at any point turn the ignition OFF and then start all over.
Once the value flashed it means it was STORED so you can turn the ignition OFF or press A/C OFF until you get to the beginning of the diagnose mode (i.e. the segment test), then while all lights are on press again A/C OFF to exit the diagnose mode.

You did mentioned you know how to put codes, but I posted the full procedure in case somebody else needs the same thing and does not know how to pull codes.

·
Registered
112 Posts
josh ,sorry to be so late to get back to you on this, You are wanting to see both mph's displayed to compare the two right? Follow, N*Caddy's( thanks N*Caddy for posting) post on, Entering in diagnose mode ..but when you get to ipc data your wanting to go up (yes) i think two times. i think it will be right after battery volts is displayed. then your speed will be displayed there..If any of this is wrong hit me back and I will go to the etc and make sure...I've got an 07 srx with warranty problems on the rear end and have just been busy with that..sorry but I will make it right..lol

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
chp350, you kinda lost me there. Both mph's displayed??? Should I be going down the road when I do this? By the way, the last thing you said to do was right on, the value is set at "0". I don't know if this means anything, but it seems like all the guages read higher (don't know about the tach) than they should.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Josua, yes both would be displayed..what I meant was where you seen 0 displayed, if you were driving, the mph would be displayed there in addition the the regular needle mph that you always go by..that why you can compare the two..I'm sorry if I lost you on this. I'm not good at trying to explain things using a keyboard to do it..lol... but if you dont figure it out, let me know and I will try to explain it a little better. let me know either way

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
If your option B value is set to 0 your speedometer should be in miles. If that’s the case check to have the car set to Imperial (not metric). If is set to imperial (i.e. Miles on the IPC and degrees Fahrenheit on your climate control) and your speedometer is lopsided the chances are very high that your IPC is defective.
You can eliminate everything and be sure that the IPC is the culprit by bringing your speed on the display. If you don’t have the instant speed in the options scrolled with the INFO button then add-it to the menu.
Here is how:
Follow my instructions up to IPC OVERRIDES.
Then instead of going to option B, go to option E (use the same buttons FAN SPEED UP/DOWN, AC OFF, FRONT DEFROST (the symbol), PASS WARMER/COOLER)
Once in option E and VERY, VERY important make sure you write down the value shown where the trip odometer usually shows (again after 1-2 seconds). Remember that value, take a picture, write it down (is important).
Now to add the speed display in the menu ADD 4 (four) to the initial number.
So let’s say your value is 43 (factory default) to add the instant speed display to the menu add 4 (i.e. 43+4=47). Use the same buttons PASS WARMER (+1) and PASS COOLER (-1). Once you have the new value use the same FRONT DEFROST (symbol) and A/C OFF to store the value (same as mentioned before press and hold until the value flashes).
Then exit from this menu as I mentioned before either turn the ignition OFF or press repeatedly A/C OFF until you get to the segment test and when all lights are on press one more time A/C OFF and you are out of the diagnose mode.

Now using your INFO button scroll to the options until you get to instant MPH.
Drive the car and compare the digital display with the analog display.
If no match your needle actuator is bad, if match then you might have a PCM or speed sensor issue (inside the transmission).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks again, N*Caddy.. thats what I was hoping someone with the correct way and values could post for him.:thumbsup: I'm one of these that know and remember how to do something just cant explain it the way it needs to be..kinda like I can never remember some ones phone number until I look at the phone....lol..Thanks Again

1 - 20 of 27 Posts