Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CTS black on 20" Falken aviators, 1986 Monte Carlo.
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 CTS 3.2L with 134k. I went to the store today, didnt notice it untill the way home, but the speedo was not working. stuck at zero. So i went home shut the car off for about 3 minutes. drove down the street still did not work. i turned around headed back home and it started working again but it didnt seem that it was accurate. i was doing about 25 30 mph and it said i was doing 15 to 20 mph. It has stock wheels so it couldnt be off do to over sized wheels. im going to take it out again tonight and see if it works.

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
That happened to me on different car, it wound up to be the connector that took in the signals for the brake pulses for the ABS. Send me a PM. I have a spare speedometer for an 03 maybe you can use it to test if the problem is in the speed-O.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
Check your fuses also, we had a member with a similar problem like this a couple months back.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,819 Posts
Yes, check all fuses in all fuse boxes. Remember there are 3, one under the hood and two under the rear seat cover. Very easy to remove, a 30 second job.

KOT

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all. It seems to be working fine now. I am Just a little curious about the whining coming from my trans. any suggestions?

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
Probably the rear end. Is it louder when the car is hot, like when you get off the highway and your coasting at 40 mph?

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
had the speedo die in 2/3 ford Taurus'... 1 car was written off but the other 2 both had the exact same issue, the tranny speed sensor, it also started to affect how the car shifted after a while and eventually 1 of them wouldnt leave first gear...dont no what the rpm hit because it didnt have a gauge lol.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
had the speedo die in 2/3 ford Taurus'... 1 car was written off but the other 2 both had the exact same issue, the tranny speed sensor, it also started to affect how the car shifted after a while and eventually 1 of them wouldnt leave first gear...dont no what the rpm hit because it didnt have a gauge lol.
I am almost positive its coming from the trans. Because it will whine after your let off the gas doing about 40 in 4th gear and as the car down shifts you can still hear it whine but gets quiter, as it down shifts. You can hear diffent tones of whining in the differnt gears. You think it could be the trans. speed sensor?

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
im not sure if the CTS even has a trany speed sensor, ive never looked it up to find out, but it most likely does.
the speedo was giving us intermittent issues before they would kick the bucket completely...it sounds like the same problem, but a totally different make model of car.
the ford sensor was only $50.
i dont want to tell you to change the wrong part...just telling you my experience with a similar issue on a different car.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took it to the Cadillac tech, he scanned it for any history codes and found nothing. Im going to bring it the the dealership this week and he said he is going to download the newest software for it. he said the 03's have the oldest software and anyone they worked on they had to download the newest software. so maybe this will help, as for my trans problem of course it did not do it when he test drove it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts