Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Catera Sport
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Catera sport with approximately 139,000 miles. I am the second owner and acquired the car with only 2,800 miles in 2001. Its been a great car for the most part, except for the constant string of stupid, yet expensive repairs.

Over the last few months, the speedometer and tachometer have not been working. All the other gauges have worked properly (engine temp, oil psi and battery). The speedometer will sit at the 0 mark and move back and forth what would be the distance of a mile an hour or two between below zero and 1 or so. It appears to "flutter" back and forth and do nothing. The tachometer just sits at 0 and doesn't do anything. The odometer however, still does work. And it is accurate as well. My son checked it with his GPS and it is almost exactly the same. Every so often (maybe once or twice a month) when I start the car, both gauges work like normal. The speedometer is either right on, or a mile an hour or two faster than the actual speed (also verified with the GPS).

I am told that there is no "cable" that drives these gauges anymore like there used to be. What could be wrong then? Is it another sensor problem? That doesn't seem to make any sense, considering the odometer works correctly all the time. I certainly have had enough of those with this car too..

The dealership says it will cost me $700 to fix this. I'm hoping to not have to spend so incredibly much. For the cost of that I could purchase myself a very nice GPS...

Thank you in advance and I am looking forward to getting some help on this...I'm at my wits end trying to figure out what it could be.

·
Registered
Cadillac
25 Posts
I had a similar issue. I have a 1998 catera. The speedo-needle and odo. started to fail - wouldn't work; but my tach and other gauges were fine (showed rmps and the car drove fine). Do you have any dash lights/indicators ON? Perhaps the ENGINE CHECK LIGHT?

I suggest FIRST take it to your local Checker Auto parts or similar parts-store and ask for a ELE.sys.diagnostic (* they do it for free in WI). Once you have the code(s) of the failure(s), pricing and part number(s) and availbility... go online for best pricing... I'm pretty sure one code will be P0501

See: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/46796-code-p0501.html

I replaced my speed-sensor... it's like a $90 part or so...
http://www.rockauto.com/
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/

I first disconnected the battery then jacked up the driver-side of the car (safety 1st) just enough for working room; with small flashlight in hand, crawl under aprox. in the upper-middle/center of the car to find the speed sensor located about a 1ft' south of the end of the transmission. I remember it being tucked on the upper-side of what I believe to be the driveshaft and requires a 10mm... I used a small open-ended wrench and was finished within an hour. Lowered the car; connected the battery... when I put the key in - I always allow the ELE to run through systems check before cranking... all was well. hope this helps.
Enz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts