Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Eldorado
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 Cadillac Eldorado, 98k miles.

As it got colder the check engine light came on showing a speed sensor error. Car had trouble shifting and the speedometer bounced up and down like crazy. Upon the weather warming up the problem seemed to go away, which to me pointed to connections responding poorly to the cold, or maybe the computer acting up. Yet, I took her on the freeway and since then every time I get around 45+ mph the speedometer starts to bounce like crazy again. Also, occasionally I'll have trouble shifting again as well (but most of the time this doesn't come into play, or is only for a brief period of time). If the car sits for a while, the check engine light turns off and all is back to normal.

Any thoughts on where to start?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,723 Posts
Read and study the entire sticky post ^^^ "How to pull codes". Practice, then write them down, noting whether each is Current or History. return to the sticky and open the link to your code definitions - you want the link with "obd2" in the URL. use the Master Index box to open pages of code definitions.

IF the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) is faulty or has a bad circuit, here it is. If the ISS (transmission Input Speed Sensor) is bad, you're in the transmission removal business. (there's another sensor thread currently running near here or in Deville - I posted a diagram of all the transmission sensors there).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts