Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV Premium
516 Posts
WhatÂ’s the speed limit for? So if you want to go over, will it allow you? I know the ACC works up to 112 mph.
We're talking about the speed limit display (designed to show you what the posted speed limit is on the road you're driving). Some OEMs use map data and some use cameras on the car to read the signs. We're comparing the two (live reading vs. often outdated mapping data pre-loaded w/ satnav system).

It's only for driver information, nothing to do with vehicle operation.

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
We're talking about the speed limit display (designed to show you what the posted speed limit is on the road you're driving). Some OEMs use map data and some use cameras on the car to read the signs. We're comparing the two (live reading vs. often outdated mapping data pre-loaded w/ satnav system).

It's only for driver information, nothing to do with vehicle operation.
really nice job with the Cliff's Notes version :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
419 Posts
All these things are simply aides to driving...while the industry tries to slowly condition us to trust automation. Threads like this show that many are in a hurry to get there! If all these aides were 100% reliable, we’d already be riding in self driving cars.

·
Registered
516 Posts
All these things are simply aides to driving...while the industry tries to slowly condition us to trust automation. Threads like this show that many are in a hurry to get there! If all these aides were 100% reliable, we’d already be riding in self driving cars.
I'm not sure who you're referring to, but this thread is primarily about speed limit notification systems, nothing to do with autonomous driving. For me it's about not knowing an area's speed limits (missed the sign, got onto the highway after a sign, etc.). If the system is included with the vehicle I want it to be the better of the available systems. In this instance, comparing our BMW to the Escalade (camera vs. map data). And no one is saying either are (or should be) 100% accurate. It's all about which system is more accurate more often.

For me this is far less about trusting automation and more of a convenience option. The car is not doing anything for me outside of displaying the posted speed limit. Lane-keep guidance/steering, parallel parking assistants, active braking, and laser/distronic cruise control systems are far more on the autonomous vehicle side of things.

I for one would still not be riding in a self-driving vehicle. I don't support it and never will - because I like to drive.

Now the idiots who won't put their phone down and drive? You know the ones who run you off the road, kill people, cause accidents, etc.? Give them the self-driving cars TODAY! Morons will condemn driving while intoxicated and gun violence, but then hop in their car and kill one of my kids because their SnapChat notification chimed. Hypocrites. Put your phone in the center console and drive like someone's life depends on it.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
this morning for grins, i set up both CUE speed limit display using my now two year old outdated (there is an update i haven't bought) onboard database and the speed display in Apple CarPlays cloud based constantly refreshed maps information .... the verdict?...they were perfectly in sync for the whole half hour commute on mixed roads (thoroughfare/city/freeway)...they even got the section of freeway where the speed limit was lowered to 55 MPH (down from 65 MPH) for a freeway widening construction zone wrong in sync, both happily displaying 65 MPH

in a couple months, i will test this again when IOS 12 drops, and i can do a Waze vs CUE shootout

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,753 Posts
My 2015i has also a speedometer problem. It reads about 20 mph over the posted speed limit?

·
Registered
516 Posts
...they even got the section of freeway where the speed limit was lowered to 55 MPH (down from 65 MPH) for a freeway widening construction zone wrong in sync, both happily displaying 65 MPH
I can see both being wrong on recent changes, and both being correct on established roads. Not really surprised. The refreshed maps aren't live-change, it'd be too demanding on resources and doesn't have much value-add to the provider (in this case Apple). Now I'd do the same test in a car with cameras and I bet it sees the 55 MPH zone the CUE missed...I also bet that same camera system is in sync with the rest of your half-hour commute. At least in Houstopia :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
My 2015i has also a speedometer problem. It reads about 20 mph over the posted speed limit?

No, the data on the speed limit display is just incorrect, outdated, or both. Nothing to do with your speedometer. It's pulling mapping data from your CUE navigation to display what it believes is the posted speed limit. Often incorrect, you're all good. Update your maps and it MAY get slightly better...no promises.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I can see both being wrong on recent changes, and both being correct on established roads. Not really surprised. The refreshed maps aren't live-change, it'd be too demanding on resources and doesn't have much value-add to the provider (in this case Apple). Now I'd do the same test in a car with cameras and I bet it sees the 55 MPH zone the CUE missed...I also bet that same camera system is in sync with the rest of your half-hour commute. At least in Houstopia :)
one of these days i need to visit Houstopia, i've toured San Antonio and Austin when i was there for Formula 1 races in 2012 and 2013

this sign, which is on my commute, at 2229 Palomar Airport Rd, Carlsbad, CA 92011 is now enveloped by that tree, i noticed it saturday on a propane run for my grill & fire table to Lowes a block from here....i did a double take and had a laugh due to this conversation

I bet it sees the 55 MPH zone the CUE missed...I also bet that same camera system is in sync with the rest of your half-hour commute.
this, tree will lose you that bet...lol

·
Registered
516 Posts
one of these days i need to visit Houstopia, i've toured San Antonio and Austin when i was there for Formula 1 races in 2012 and 2013
F1, nice! See, just when I thought I couldn't like the Wookster any more than I do, you bust out F1 love. Wife and I just did MotoGP w/ track passes (like where the safety crews, photographers, and ambulances go...thanks to a brand sponsorship). Crazy being trackside...a nut could literally walk right onto the track with nothing in between.

Austin is great, closest thing we have to our west coast upbringing! SA, not a fan at all. Houston, better than SA but don't get me going. Good for our business, needs a lot of help!

this, tree will lose you that bet...lol
Looks like that tree could definitely be problematic. Although I'm primarily using our speed systems on highway/freeway trips. My local commutes are memorized in my head, especially where the speed traps are! No tickets in almost 15 years, no wrecks in 25 years...knock on fake woodgrain.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
my ringtone on my phone was recorded trackside by me at circuit of the americas i had a breakfast Tito's redbull in one hand and my phone hanging over the fence recording...lol...that whaling v8 sound makes everybody around me jump when my phone rings...lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Road in front of house is 45 speed, reads posted limit 55 on dash speed limit read out. Another road 70 car posted sign limit was saying
75. Just took it out again where the limit is 70 and again shows 75. At one point it drops down to 60 but car speed limit posting still reads 75.

Any others showing this issue, Only have 200 miles on the vehicle, does it have to learn the area

Was going to delete since found information online, but do not see this option
I'm having a similar problem with my 2017 Cadillac Escalade. All of a sudden my road speed limit indicator has almost completely quit working. (NO IM NOT TALKING ABOUT MY SPEEDOMETER) I'm talking about the indicator that tell you what the Speed limit is on the current road your driving on is. The dealer can't fix it. I'm going to call Cadillac on Monday. This may sound like a stupid complaint but when your talking about a $90.000 vehicle I expect things to work, or the dealership to be able to fix it. I will be trading this vehicle in in the next 8 to 14 months and this may make me reconsider buying another Cadillac!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts