Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Road in front of house is 45 speed, reads posted limit 55 on dash speed limit read out. Another road 70 car posted sign limit was saying
75. Just took it out again where the limit is 70 and again shows 75. At one point it drops down to 60 but car speed limit posting still reads 75.

Any others showing this issue, Only have 200 miles on the vehicle, does it have to learn the area

Was going to delete since found information online, but do not see this option

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,053 Posts
What are you talking about??

Your gas pedal controls vehicle speed, not road signs! Or, you set the Cruise to 70 and that's where it stays, road signs regardless.

Use either the built-in NAV system or a dash mount GPS to see true vehicle speed vs. gas pedal position. Then compare that with the speedo readout.

·
Registered
2018 Escalade ESV Platinum
285 Posts
My previous 16’ xc90 and current 18’ xc60 provide the graphical speed limit information for current roads based on map data as well as software in the vehicle which has a front facing camera read road sign information. It’s generally accurate because of the camera reading road sign information and displaying speed limit data as it sees it roadside.

I believe the Escalade only uses data programmed in the vehicle, map data etc etc. it doesn’t use the camera to read road sign info so if changes are made to speed limits in areas it will not display the proper speed limit because the data stored in the vehicle is old.

This is all, of course, if that’s what you’re talking about OP, no cruise control involved. It was a bit hard to follow where you were going with your post.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will call dealership. What finding searching the net. Data in the system is incorrect. Has nothing to do with cruise or how fast driving.
This is the speed limits posted on the heads up display. All wrong for our area. When road sign says 60 and speed limit on Head up info show 75.
Not good,, You can be going 0 mph, has nothing do with how fast car is going. Found the answer. So mods can delete this post.

·
Administrator
71,053 Posts
Apparently, one of the dangers of pre-programming a vehicle NAV system/disc with speed information - the State Highways people can always change speed limits or whatever with no obligation to inform the civilian software people.

Many speed limits have changed in our area over the years - some more than once.

We'll leave this thread for general info.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gonna do some local checking since curious now. The speed limits around this town have not changed in years. I had a 16 BMW X5 with speed info, it was correct,
?? if read the signs I don't know. Since worked I never gave it any thought. If pull up the map on the phone, displayed speeds are correct. Just the CUE so far.

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
what year is your Escalade?....you need a map update

my maps are two years old, and work amazingly...except for two spots where...Google Maps, Apple Maps, and CUE are all wrong, due to the speed limit being temporarily lowered for freeway construction...this should self correct when construction is done

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its a 2018, talked to dealership, they said was old school and probably not detailed. Just put blanket speed down not actually being in the area

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Premium Lux. Radiant
108 Posts
Just turn off the speed limit option and read the speed limit postings.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Just turn off the speed limit option and read the speed limit postings.
defeats the purpose...sometimes there's quite a distance between speed signs...and if you enter the road in between them, you may not know the posted speed until it's too late....having that info displayed can be very convenient....besides, we're talking luxury vehicles...we didn't pay more to buy the extras, just to turn them off.

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Premium Lux. Radiant
108 Posts
defeats the purpose...sometimes there's quite a distance between speed signs...and if you enter the road in between them, you may not know the posted speed until it's too late....having that info displayed can be very convenient....besides, we're talking luxury vehicles...we didn't pay more to buy the extras, just to turn them off.
I do agree with you. However, if it's an annoyance and/or inaccurate, then it defeats the purpose of being useable on any vehicle.

·
Administrator
71,053 Posts
How big is the volume that updates the posted speed limits throughout the U.S. every 24 hours ?

Shouldn't every road change, construction area, speed limit change, and road sign change be posted online for download at least weekly so we can update our onboard maps ?

It's so tedious to keep looking for speed limit and road info signs. I don't wanna use my brain; I wanna be told by a computer.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV Premium
516 Posts
The point is Cadillac should be using a better system, like BMW's and others. Reads the signs so it's always up to date. It's not that hard...just more room for improvement from Cadillac. Using maps and old data is not a good system at all. Limits can be very dynamic, especially in city limits.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
The point is Cadillac should be using a better system, like BMW's and others. Reads the signs so it's always up to date. It's not that hard...just more room for improvement from Cadillac. Using maps and old data is not a good system at all. Limits can be very dynamic, especially in city limits.
The "read the signs" systems aren't better either....they're only as good as their cameras sight, a vandalized/damaged/knocked over sign, entering a road with large gaps between signs, or even bug splatter obscuring the camera and the proverbial wrench is thrown in the works...the middle road idea of incorporating both systems would be the best, with both systems covering each others flaws....Cadillac figured a bit of this out with CUE traffic, previously getting this info from D.O.T.s via XM and now the cloud based CUE 3.0 radios combine XM traffic with OTA HD radio traffic, again to fill in each others gaps.

·
Registered
516 Posts
The "read the signs" systems aren't better either....they're only as good as their cameras sight, a vandalized/damaged/knocked over sign, entering a road with large gaps between signs, or even bug splatter obscuring the camera and the proverbial wrench is thrown in the works...the middle road idea of incorporating both systems would be the best, with both systems covering each others flaws....Cadillac figured a bit of this out with CUE traffic, previously getting this info from D.O.T.s via XM and now the cloud based CUE 3.0 radios combine XM traffic with OTA HD radio traffic, again to fill in each others gaps.
Um, yeah, I guess we COULD figure out a way to throw a proverbial wrench into it...but in reality the camera systems are FAR better than what Cadillac is using. Until Cadillac catches up I guess we can continue to say "what if a bug is covering my camera or a sign gets vandalized"??? Strange argument against cameras, but okay. If there's ever a bug or a sign bandit on the loose I'll be sure to read the signs myself. But for now, the cameras are far more accurate than dated map data and automatically update based on the current signage. No way around that data, it's factual.

And combining the systems, well...which overrides the other? Wonder why the luxury manufacturers are using cameras and Cadillac is using maps? Oh wait, it's GM. :D

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Um, yeah, I guess we COULD figure out a way to throw a proverbial wrench into it...but in reality the camera systems are FAR better than what Cadillac is using. Until Cadillac catches up I guess we can continue to say "what if a bug is covering my camera or a sign gets vandalized"??? Strange argument against cameras, but okay. If there's ever a bug or a sign bandit on the loose I'll be sure to read the signs myself. But for now, the cameras are far more accurate than dated map data and automatically update based on the current signage. No way around that data, it's factual.

And combining the systems, well...which overrides the other? Wonder why the luxury manufacturers are using cameras and Cadillac is using maps? Oh wait, it's GM. :D
you must live in a utopia with the worlds cleanest signs (Camelot? :stirpot:)....I live in a resort beach community where signs are plastered with surf stickers, or live performance flyers or missing pet posters, etc, just a quirky part of the culture here, what most recognize being done to telephone poles is done on street signs here... which is only one reason a camera would fail to see the sign, another untrimmed tree branches, or hedges..... bugs do hit cameras, last time it happened to me my wipers went nuts on a dry windshield, which is why i now turn off my automatic wipers in the summer.

the raison d'être for the speed limit being displayed is to inform the driver of the speed limit so that they can drive lawfully, in case he or she missed it or was somehow unable to obtain that information. simple as that, and it's not unreasonable to consider that the reason a driver cant see this info (thereby creating the need for these systems) can also be the same reason the camera won't be able to as well. In a case such as this, having this data stored onboard would be superior.

as i've said, i acknowledge that neither way is perfect and combined they'd be better...in terms of hierarchy, it seems obvious that in the absence of speed information the onboard database should be used, until a posted speed limit updates the current data...easy. Another scheme could be in the face of conflicting data display the lower speed, in order to err on the side of caution...easy. like I said the Current version of CUE already blends traffic information, combining data is very doable.

the previous generation Escalade worked in this manner prior to CUE navigation. in those pre CUE radios, if there was a location the Navigation wasn't aware of, having Onstar beam the directions to the unit would update the database for that location. I had to do this for the Chargers Quarterback when he bought one from a colleague. Mr Rivers lived in a new development and his salesperson got stumped by this when he was demonstrating the navs operation to his wife.

·
Registered
516 Posts
you must live in a utopia with the worlds cleanest signs (Camelot? :stirpot:)....I live in a resort beach community where signs are plastered with surf stickers, or live performance flyers or missing pet posters, etc, just a quirky part of the culture here, what most recognize being done to telephone poles is done on street signs here... which is only one reason a camera would fail to see the sign, another untrimmed tree branches, or hedges..... bugs do hit cameras, last time it happened to me my wipers went nuts on a dry windshield, which is why i now turn off my automatic wipers in the summer.
Certainly no utopia in SE Texas! We did make a stop in Carlsbad on the way to La Jolla on vacation a while ago. Didn't notice anything unusual with your signs. Stayed in La Jolla and drove down to the USS Midway. We used to join friends in Dana Point on a regular basis when we were in Oregon, miss that part of the country so we always find ourselves driving over.

I can tell you that in many thousands of miles the camera system on our X5 has never failed via bugs or birds. And if you've ever been to Houston you'd agree that we probably have one of the dirtiest cities in America. The camera system doesn't care if you have stickers and flyers on the poles, as long as the signs aren't covered it reads them.

We don't road trip the X5 but did drive from HOU to OKC in it, no problems with signs in either state. It also goes to Austin once per month for business. No problems in the "live music capital" where posters are EVERYWHERE. Most of the X5 miles are city, all kinds of junk and sign variations across this urban sprawl...no worries and no problems.

Our Escalade is the family hauler, sees HOU to PDX trips as the longest of our excursions. But even around town, the system is typically worthless. The pre-CUE was inferior. Hallelujah for "Mr Rivers" though. :)

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Certainly no utopia in SE Texas! We did make a stop in Carlsbad on the way to La Jolla on vacation a while ago. Didn't notice anything unusual with your signs. Stayed in La Jolla and drove down to the USS Midway. We used to join friends in Dana Point on a regular basis when we were in Oregon, miss that part of the country so we always find ourselves driving over.

I can tell you that in many thousands of miles the camera system on our X5 has never failed via bugs or birds. And if you've ever been to Houston you'd agree that we probably have one of the dirtiest cities in America. The camera system doesn't care if you have stickers and flyers on the poles, as long as the signs aren't covered it reads them.

We don't road trip the X5 but did drive from HOU to OKC in it, no problems with signs in either state. It also goes to Austin once per month for business. No problems in the "live music capital" where posters are EVERYWHERE. Most of the X5 miles are city, all kinds of junk and sign variations across this urban sprawl...no worries and no problems.

Our Escalade is the family hauler, sees HOU to PDX trips as the longest of our excursions. But even around town, the system is typically worthless. The pre-CUE was inferior. Hallelujah for "Mr Rivers" though. :)
you won't really find the stickered up signs on freeways (those are clean for obvious access reasons)...its the speed signs along the sidewalk on major throughways like Palomar Airport Road, PCH, El Camino Real....La Jolla being the San Diego "Riviera" is really clean, Encinitas is worst for this, they really have a grittier "locals only beachy vibe", worst is Oceanside with a strange combination of military on leave town and gangs....Carlsbad is nice and tend to be the clean oasis between earthier/beach bummier Encinitas (especially around the bar scene areas) and gangier Oceanside... i live close to LEGOLAND and the signs especially on intersections get stickered up, so you can't help but see them change (stickers) seemingly daily when stopped at lights...lol....all these towns are north of La Jolla...it gets more grittier Encinitas like again south of La Jolla in the Pacific Beach area

in the North, a Major east/west corridor is Palomar Airport Road, which with a brief linkup with Highway 78 is a connector between Interstates 5 & 15 ... speeds vary between 25 and 55 MPH and roughly takes a half hour to traverse and is a major speed trap (especially a section going down a large hill with two speed drops on that hill exactly when gravity is speeding up your car)...my speed display is dead on accurate on this road, due to the heavy police activity here in the mornings, this feature is appreciated

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,753 Posts
What’s the speed limit for? So if you want to go over, will it allow you? I know the ACC works up to 112 mph.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts