Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
09 V Sedan, 2012 V sedan
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two things that have bugged me with my V2 over the last several weeks is 1; Trying to learn the speech recognition commands on the popup while sitting in the driveway is undesirable. I found a great pdf. brochure from and 08 which is similar to the 09 and is attached. I can learn much better from reading something that is in print rather then the aformentioned way. 2; I found a 5-6 lb difference in cold and hot tires. I went to a friend and had nitrogen put in the tires. Now it is a 1-2 lb difference. If it's good enough for NASCAR, it's good enough for my V. I told my dealer and emailed Cadillac they should look into these two suggestions for 2010.

Attachments

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V
231 Posts
Agreed, nitrogen is a great idea. I am surprised it doesn't already have that. Most Discount Tires offer the service, I request it on all my cars.

·
Registered
'08 STS-V Sedan Black Formerly three CTS-V's, XLR and STS4N*
868 Posts
Nice. Thanks. I printed it off and will throw it in the car. We will see if I use it for anything beyond "transfer" that I currently use to switch the bluetooth off before getting out of the car.

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
It's ridiculous that you have to sit in the car to actually see the voice commands and that they are not in the navi manual. Luckily, this site has the pdf noted above and that's how I learned them. I keep a copy in my car and at home as I'm learning to use the navi still.

·
Registered
CTS-V 2009 White Diamond, 996TT Silver, G35 Coupe 6mt, M45S
413 Posts
I found a 5-6 lb difference in cold and hot tires. I went to a friend and had nitrogen put in the tires. Now it is a 1-2 lb difference.
I have nitrogen in my tires (The dealer supposibly put it in, the valve covers are labeled N2) and there's still a 4-5lbs difference between hot and cold.
This morning cold it read 30-31 and hot last night was 35. (The car seems to read about 2lbs low)
On my porsche with regular air, I always have a 4lbs difference.

N2 is better because it leaks less (bigger molecules) and shouldn't have any water in it. In F1 they constantly cycle air through the tires to get the last bit of moisture out. Oxygen can also interact with the rubber.

Found some interesting reading here:

http://www.f1technical.net/articles/1

“Moisture in the air makes setting tyre pressures very difficult,” explains Tetsuro Kobayashi, Bridgestone Motorsport Technical Manager. “If you set the pressure in the pits with a cold tyre, or even one that’s been warmed by a tyre blanket, the pressure will be different when the tyre has been brought right up to full operating temperature. This happens even when we use dried air, but this happens in a more progressive and predictable manner than when there is moisture present. If there was moisture present then there would be different amounts in different tyres depending on when and how they were filled so it would be impossible to predict the pressure change and it would be difficult to engineer the tyres to deliver their maximum performance.”

Whilst Bridgestone uses dried air by default, there are other gases available and teams will often try or make use of these in their pursuit for an advantage. In various series, not only in Formula One, nitrogen, carbon dioxide and other mixtures have been used. The most important consideration for whatever gas is used is stability or a predictable change in density relative to temperature change to enable the optimum tyre pressure to be both attained and maintained. A second factor can also be the reactivity of the gas with rubber, a point where oxygen scores badly. At high temperatures, the oxygen molecules in air can react with the rubber and hence reduce the tyre pressure. It is sometimes also believed that the mass of the gas is taken into account as being important, but the truth is that the differences are marginal compared to the other factors. Recently however, the FIA moved to limit the allowed gases to air, nitrogen and carbon dioxide.

In order to allow the tyre to be filled completely with the specific gas, each rim has two valves, one to let air out, while the other is used to pump it up.

Hans.

·
Registered
09 V Sedan, 2012 V sedan
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great info Hans. Thanks...When my friend put NO2 into my tires, he bled the tires to 3 lbs, put in NO2 and did it again three times. Hopefully this got rid of most of the air and moisture. Also, I pay little attention to the on board tire pressures readouts. I use a $25.00 digital gauge which has been calibrated for accuracy. In Florida on a hot day, I still experience only about a 2 lb gain when hot. Thanks again...

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
40 Posts
My experience is that the speech recognition doesn't work very well due to engine growl and tire noise. I will try to enter commands and it is like a conversation with my deaf grandparent. "Call home" translates to "Switch phone" and I give up most of the time.

What I have found that works for me is to enter phone numbers into the Address Book in the navigation screen. Most of my calls from the car are to the same people all the time, so I have each of them in the Address Book. When I want to call one of these numbers, I pop up the destination screen, enter address book, select the name of the person I want to call, and then press the "Call" button in the address book. No numbers "lost in translation."

·
Registered
cts v
212 Posts
Great info Hans. Thanks...When my friend put NO2 into my tires, he bled the tires to 3 lbs, put in NO2 and did it again three times. Hopefully this got rid of most of the air and moisture. Also, I pay little attention to the on board tire pressures readouts. I use a $25.00 digital gauge which has been calibrated for accuracy. In Florida on a hot day, I still experience only about a 2 lb gain when hot. Thanks again...
did he really fill your tires with nitrous?

·
Registered
09 V Sedan, 2012 V sedan
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nitrous Oxide is N2O. The compound nitrogen dioxide is NO2. I should have just put "N".

·
Registered
CTS-V 2009 White Diamond, 996TT Silver, G35 Coupe 6mt, M45S
413 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_dioxide
Brown toxic gas.
Yes we're simply talking about N2 here.. Nitrogen, 80% in the air already.

"The triple bond in molecular nitrogen (N2) is the strongest in nature. The resulting difficulty of converting (N2) into other compounds, and the ease (and associated high energy release) of converting nitrogen compounds into elemental N2, have dominated the role of nitrogen in both nature and human economic activities."

You learn something new everyday.

Hans.

·
Registered
09 V Sedan, 2012 V sedan
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_dioxide
Brown toxic gas.
Yes we're simply talking about N2 here.. Nitrogen, 80% in the air already.

"The triple bond in molecular nitrogen (N2) is the strongest in nature. The resulting difficulty of converting (N2) into other compounds, and the ease (and associated high energy release) of converting nitrogen compounds into elemental N2, have dominated the role of nitrogen in both nature and human economic activities."

You learn something new everyday.

Hans.
And I did...Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts