Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From a 23 Feb 2015 article at gmauthority.com. Believe the Vsport coupe would be a great balance between performance and life cycle costs; the ATS-V is an awesome performer but at a high price.

1. “…Cadillac may soon introduce an ATS Vsport model to slot in between the standard version of the compact car and the high-performance 455 horsepower ATS-V, according to Automotive News. This marks the second time we’ve heard an ATS Vsport is on its way, with our own sources hinting at the arrival of the car way back in June of 2013…our source said ATS Vsport will be powered by the same naturally aspirated LFX V6 in the standard ATS. The Vsport model would instead benefit from suspension and braking components plucked from the ATS-V and possibly different wheels and tires, among other enhancements.”

2. The earliest that the ATS Vsport would become available is model year 2016, so presumably it would be powered by the LGX V6 instead of the existing LFX V6, which should be an improvement in performance, fuel economy and smoothness.

3. I will purely speculate what might be included in the Vsport:

4. “Suspension and braking components plucked from the ATS-V”
a. ZF Steering rack version that is 14% stiffer than the standard ATS
b. Aluminum shear plate that stiffens chassis and helps with turn in response
c. Low mass battery as an option​
d. Two piece Brembo brakes
i. 10-15% reduction of weight over integral (1pc) disc
ii. Reduction of thermal deflection over integral disc
iii. Comfort improvement (judder and vibration)
iv. Curved fins ventilation
v. Enhanced cooling at high speeds​
Front Brake System
i. Six-Piston Caliper ; 115 cm2 low-met pad
ii. Monobloc all-aluminum design
iii. Two-piece brake disc 370 x 34mm (14.5” x 1.33”)
iv. Curve-vane design ventilation​
Rear Brake System
i. Four-Piston Caliper (P4.30); 44 cm2 low-met pad
ii. Two-piece all-aluminum design
iii. One-piece brake disc 339 x 26mm (13.3” x 1”)
iv. Pillar post ventilation​

5. Counter wound coil springs, like those being used in Shelby Mustang GT350. Would probably have to be added to ATS-V.
a. “Notable is that one of the rear springs is counter-wound to assure symmetrical spring seating and better motion of the lower control arm.”​

6. Perhaps the coil springs could be made out of fiberglass to reduce unsprung weight – like those being considered by Audi. Would probably have to be added to ATS-V.
a. “Before you even start to think that thought, it's true that these Audi fiberglass springs aren't the first ever produced from the stuff. Fiberglass leaf springs have been around for a while-the C4 Corvette is a notable example of the composite-leafed breed. But coil springs are a different story. A while back, Italian parts supplier Sogefi developed a patented coil spring technology. Audi is developing this material process further with the supplier, and this is the result: a spring that's 40 percent lighter. As a set of four, these springs will save 9.7 lbs., half of that being savings in unsprung mass. Audi claims the springs are equivalent to steel springs (although they are thicker), and they're impervious to common chemicals. Audi also claims they use significantly less energy to manufacture—great news, sure, but what about cost? On this point, the company is staying quiet. Safe money is on this composite spring being a fair bit pricier than its steel equivalent, but that's just conjecture. “​

7. To save money the new LGX V6 engine will probably be employed in the ATS Vsport with no changes. The good news is that according to what has been published about the LGX, it will be an advanced and refined engine that includes stop/start and cylinder deactivation (aka active fuel management). However, since Cadillac has committed to using unique engines for its models in the future, I will provide some unsolicited advice about potential upgrades for the LGX in the Vsport that would not be too expensive. A high quality, low back pressure, low weight exhaust system would provide some power and fuel economy improvements. The other change that I would include is to use the two level valve lift scheme from the base 2.5Liter 4 cylinder. This is like having two cams; one for fuel economy and smoothness at low rpms and a high lift cam at high rpm for maximum power. This scheme has been used by GM and other car manufacturers to very good effect in the past.

8. Rocker panel aero extensions and front spoiler lip from Crimson Sport ATS or the RPO VTD “subtle” Ground Effects kit.

9. Optional LPO CWK Midnight Special Edition Package blackout trim package.
a. Cadillac, please make this available for the Dark Adriatic Blue exterior color and Kona Brown interior.​

10. Options available on the CTS, as well as many other less expensive cars from other companies that are NOT available on the ATS. Cadillac needs to stop worrying so much about trying to force people to purchase a CTS instead of an ATS by restricting which Options are available and worry more about competing with other car companies products:
a. (UVH) Surround Vision; 360 camera view (available on the CTS)
b. Cooled / ventilated seats ( available on CTS)
c. Upgraded instrument display or LCD panel​

·
Registered
490 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would also prefer that the ATS Vsport use an upgraded 2.0T LTG, perhaps with an adapted version of the water to air intercooler from the LF3 (aka CTS Vsport engine) to reduce turbo lag. This would take advantage of the 90 lb less weight that the 2.0T LTG has versus the LFX V6, but it seems that Cadillac will use a V6 solution.

·
Registered
none
1,102 Posts
2.0T V-Sport sounds better to me, toughen up the pistons throw on a slightly bigger twin-scroll turbo and boost it up to around 400hp and torque stock. The LTG has potential, it just needs stronger pistons IMO. Just look at what zzperformance is doing with the 2.0.

http://zzperformance.com/ats/
http://zzperformance.com/ats/blog/ats-teasers-sema-project-zzp/
http://zzperformance.com/ats/blog/sema-prep-continues-ryans-ats/
Doesn't make sense with the at-v being released. Why spend all that money on one when the v sport wouldn't have much more power? I can't see Cadillac getting 400hp on the 2.0 while having long term reliability either.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,404 Posts
With the same V-6 they are already using I don't see there being enough of a market between the Premium V6 and the ATS V for it to make sense. If they wanted a 400 hp engine I also think a slightly detuned version of the CTS V Sports 420 hp twin turbo engine would be far easier to add, easier to sell, a better driver than a 400 hp 2.0T and more reliable.

·
Registered
490 Posts
No faith in 4 cylinder turbo engines. They did it right with the cobalt SS why not the LTG? Subaru also puts out decent 4 cylinder turbo engines. The weak point so far on the LTG has been the pistons and that really has only been hyped up when people started tuning, and I still feel it was the tuner. I had experience with a certain brand and it ran like crap, knocking, inconsistency, etc. I knew it wasn't running right with the tune and put it back to stock before a piston failed. The knocking and misfiring was so bad during acceleration pulls, I knew if I kept pulling, the engine would have failed, so I let off, I am sure others whose engine failed pushed it too much when they shouldn't have.

Cadillac really needs to restore owner faith with the LTG by beefing it up and showing what this engine could really do, especially since they are going to use it across many platforms like the Camaro. They need to stop being cheap and throw some forged pistons in it. Heck, if some members are already running 400hp and zzperformance is going to create a 1000hp ATS, I am sure cadillac can figure out how to make a reliable 400hp 2.0T.

If they do come out with an ATS-V Sport it will probably use the LGW engine anyways.

·
Registered
18 Coupe, turbo, auto, dp,E 85,tune
825 Posts
A N/A V6 with 350-375 hp would be very sweet. Would like manual trans option along with the 8spd auto. This is what I had hoped for with the LGX 3.6 motor.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0 Crimson Sport
178 Posts
If they beef up the 2.5 4-pot from the base ats and add a turbo, that motor can easily crack 350-375hp. That wouldn't be that bad but I have no idea if its possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts