Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
04 RAVEN BLACK CTS-V: FREEFLOW INTAKE w/K&N, MAGNAFLOW, CAGS
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I'm curious to know about anyone with the Specter Werks PowerDome Hood. I was talking to my body shop about painting a hood and he tried to persuade me out of the idea since glass hoods tend to crack after a while from heat and road debris. I'm not assuming Specter Hoods are this way but I'd love to hear updates from people who have them, maybe:

Has the hood held up cosmetically (no chipping/cracking)?
How much they drive their car?
Is it garaged?
How aggressively do they drive?
How was the fitment/workmanship of the hood when recieved?
Would they buy the hood again?

Once again, this is not a flame, I am in love with the hood and want to get one if the reviews are positive, let me know guys!!

James

·
Registered
12 CTS Coupe Premium/Touring, 16 Volt, 13 911s, 07 Legacy GT Wagon
1,802 Posts
Anyone have the fiberglass versions of the Power Dome or Heat Extractor hoods?

I also am suspect of fiberglass products.
(Mostly because of cheap glass products from shady vendors)
Does the SW fiberglass hold up, or is Carbon Fiber the better choice?

I'm thinking about a HE hood myself.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
CF takes a TON of prep work to make it smooth, otherwise the pattern shows through the paint. Chef has a Spectre CF extractor hood, and he'll chime in soon I'm sure.

I've read a few comments about the Spectre hood being slightly off at the front (one side has more gap between the grill than the other), but others have installed them and said they're perfect.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
CF is very tough to work on in terms of block sanding and painting. It's very porous but it can be done. I paid an additional $700.00 which was cheap for a local body man expert to do it and he said it was very difficult as well. You don't want to take off too much when block sanding and it has to be perfect in terms of degrees of balance. Does it get chipped? sure it does but I'm finding more issues with the flair kit because it's a magnet for rocks and any road debris but I had to do it in order to go wider up front.

Any questions please fire them right at me as they are both on as we speak...

Thanks,
Chef

·
Registered
12 CTS Coupe Premium/Touring, 16 Volt, 13 911s, 07 Legacy GT Wagon
1,802 Posts
Chef,

Since you graciously offered to awnser some ?'s:

Are the boxes under the vents on your hood detachable?
Do they need to be used?
What purpose do they serve?
It's hard to believe they don't hit something when the hood is closed.

Would you go with the 'glass hood if you had to do it over?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Chef,

Since you graciously offered to awnser some ?'s:

Are the boxes under the vents on your hood detachable? Yes
Do they need to be used? Probably not but why not?
What purpose do they serve? catch water and debris

It's hard to believe they don't hit something when the hood is closed. All good for me without fab work

Would you go with the 'glass hood if you had to do it over? NO, you can see the read through of the carbon through the paint which is pretty cool and it's light - Closing it needs to be very delicate

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
130 Posts
Any questions please fire them right at me as they are both on as we speak...
I'm old school... and thinking of ways to improve CAI. Back in the day, those "vents" would channel cold air to an intake. Could that be accomplished without destroying the hood (would removing/cutting the boxes weaken the hood)? Or, could the hood handle (or benefit from) extra support under it? Air ducts could be molded to the underside to bring air forward to the nose, then close onto a box where the filter would reside.

Just be looking at the pics... it's possible air will curl around and into the vents, helping things along (apparently evident from your comment about the boxes catching debris). Said debris could be caught with a foam pre-filter, and using the added volume from both 'vents' might negate the foams restriction.

Just thinking out load...

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Those vents mainly extract air, hence the name extractor hood (they may also provide some down force - the CTS-VR's hood accomplishes that in the same fashion). You're thinking of a ram air effect, which would be provided by a forward facing scoop, as opposed to the rearward facing extractors.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
Agreed, might have a better chance trying to stick an actual ram air setup under the hump on a cowl hood.

Not likely it will provide much down force with the boxes on there and for other reasons.

The engine is pushed back almost 6 inches (allows more flow between the engine and the radiator) and the vents are almost straight up and down, there is a bunch of them, there wide, and nothing to block the flow.

I would be happy with the heat extractor hood to just remove the heat from the engine compartment. keep the engine cooler and it will be happier.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Yes an extractor is exactly that - The boxes were the question so I stuck soley on the box Q :duck:. We, down here need a little escape from the engine heat especially with bigger cubes. My old maggie would have loved it and would have assisted a tad the heat soak I'm sure.

I'll be removing the fogs soon and looking at duct work to the brakes as well as a splitter and a big FAT WING:shhh: j/k...:hide:

·
Registered
17,712 Posts
I'll be removing the fogs soon and looking at duct work to the brakes as well as a splitter and a big FAT WING:shhh: j/k...:hide:
You know there retiring the VR, Maybe I could shoot an email and see if they have any "spare parts" they would like to sell cheap. I would just recommend making it so when your not on the track the wing could be removed.

Driving down the street with that wing would be ricer for sure. People (of a certain breed) would be stopping you saying were are the 22's and the Lambo doors!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I hear ya all the way - It was only in jest but if I could do a removable wing I'd do it yesterday or simply gut the lovely and be done.

P.S. - ROB, Thanks again for getting my stuff signed - they just came in today plus the signed photo!

Also, I was just asked and will be in "Luxury & Exotics" for a min 2 page write up/review from a well known racing instructor Mike Speck at Bondurant....:D

·
Registered
17,712 Posts
Have you seen the way they have it attached to the VR? it's attached to the trunk lid and it also has suppoprts going down to the body to attach it to the structure. They are able to open the trunk and they did it by pinning the connection point at the trunk line. Seems like doing somehting like this but instead of leaving it attached to the trunk, just remove it all together.

Just a thought.

BTW, Hope the photo made it OK.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Just finished with the Extractor hood (10hrs)of labor & still looks wavy. The body shop said to bring it back in 2 weeks so they can finish it. They had the car up on a lift with all the heat in the shop & it warped the hood,so now I wait.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
This job is not for the timid or giving it to body guys that you're trying to save money with -

Gordy, I'm not talking about you but just a general statement because it is very, very difficult to pull off. Mine took two weeks and lots and fine block sanding, prime, then sun bake etc. etc. before going to paint.

Maybe see if you could get some pics of the steps of the work and install?

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
2,018 Posts
Maybe this has been addressed but does the SW extractor hood only come in carbon fiber?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts