Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying an 84 Eldo Biaritz with 66k original, light yellow, tan leather, all original. Does anyone know the specs on this car? I can't find anything good on the net. What does the biaritz mean? What kind of problems can I expect? Do these cars use the air ride suspension? Fuel injection/carbeurator? Thanx.

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
You might be able to get more help in the Seville/Eldorado forum. I'll move this thread for you.

·
Registered
'93 Sixty Special
303 Posts
Biarritz is the top model Eldorado, with stainless steal top, and some chrome trim along the beltline, among other things.

Standard motor is the HT4100. General opinion is that it's garbage, and will eventually (~85000 miles) need replacing. Some have last longer, but depends if its been cared for.

Power is 135 [email protected], and 200 [email protected]
Fuel injected..Don't believe they had air suspension.

·
Registered
06 STS;05 DTS;03 STS;96 Fleetwood;95 Deville
75 Posts
We bought an '85 Eldo Biarritz with 52k last January and have enjoyed it very much! Most likely the car you're looking at has the HT4100 V8 fuel-injected engine. I think by '84 the Diesel option was phased out or very limited in its usage. It gives the car a bit better performance than the same engine used in the bigger 4-door Fleetwoods & DeVilles.

The "Biarritz" beside the stainless steel roof and other chrome enhancements to the outside has a plusher interior with multi-button seats and a better grade of carpet. Biarritz cars also tend to be more "loaded up" than regular base-model Biarritzes, some of which didn't even have cruise control!!

Make sure you treat the engine like a baby if you do buy it, to get as much life out of it as possible, especially with oil & coolant changes as well as using a coolant supplement for the aluminum engine, which is what the HT4100 is.

Doug

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Andrew60SP said:
Standard motor is the HT4100. General opinion is that it's garbage, and will eventually (~85000 miles) need replacing. Some have last longer, but depends if its been cared for.

Power is 135 [email protected], and 200 [email protected]
Fuel injected..Don't believe they had air suspension.
I had an '85. I do not agree with the quoted line here! The engine is a little underpowered for the weight of the car but it moves along quite well I.M.O. When I sold mine it had almost 200,000 miles on the original engine. Maintain the cooling system and do the recommended service and it'll probably go a long time. It is a very nice car to drive and is VERY comfortable. The rear suspension is "Level Ride" air shocks and in the event of a failure you can replace them with passive KYB shocks.

·
Registered
'93 Sixty Special
303 Posts
Sorry guys. I've just heard stories and opinions to stay away from the motor that I've mistaken it for almost a fact.

Well here's 2 first hand experiences that will shut me up :canttalk:

Just take care of the motor and she'll take care of you. :coffee:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the car has had two owners, the second is a woman. I am aware this is going to sound totally sexist (because it is) but I think that it would mean there is a good chance it was NOT maintained properly. Every woman I have every known never gets her coolant flushed, or her oil changed and so forth. They just wait for an indicator light to come on in the dash and then maybe they take it in. Generally speaking, many men tend to drive their cars a little harder, but they also tend to get the proper maintainence done more often. Any opinions? (no personal attacks please)

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Oh! You sexist bastard!!! LOL! LOL!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys......I'm just new here and excited to belong to your group.

I have just bought 85 El Dorado Biaritz and proud to own one. The only part of the car that's not functioning is the Air-Cond which I have no idea how much to spend to put it together (should I take a chance on used part compressor or buy a new unit)
I had a bad experience with my 90 cad Sed de Ville prviously replacing 2 compressor since the shop I had brought it did not installed it properly but now I'm happy with it.
Please let me know what your opinion is and if you know a shop in the SF Bay area will be appreciated.
:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts