Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
33,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this yesterday in Rochester.

(sorry for the not so great picture quality, I snapped this picture while walking into a Papa John's to pick up a few pizzas)

Anyone recognize these?

It's the 1987-91 Volvo 780 Coupe. Designed by Bertone in Italy, they were built off the 700 series platform, but they were a little lower. They were rear drive, and powered by a 2.8L V6 at production beginning, but by later in the production run, they were running turbocharged four bangers, running anywhere between 175 and 200hp. They came as fully loaded as any other Volvo from that era, and probably compared very well to the 635csi in terms of luxury accoutrements. I thought it was kinda neat looking, especially in terms of the way the body is proportioned and laid out.

Here's the 1988 780 brochure:
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/pdf/brochures/780LimitedEdition1988.pdf

·
Registered
Unicycle
10,945 Posts
I was never a fan of the huge 80s Volvo headlights.

The sideprofile looks odd, in the first picture with the dark car... it dosen't flow very well. The area where the dinwo starts does not line up with the hood or trunk and makes the car looked hacked, or missing something.

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V Sedan, 6-spd Manual
8,223 Posts

·
Registered
Unicycle
10,945 Posts
IMO Honda really perfected that overall shape/design to produce one of the best flowing, well-proportioned cars from that era. On the whole, they were pretty nice cars too. I like these cars a lot and wouldn't mind having one if the prices were so inflated, though my 528e fills that spot... atleast for me probably a better choice too.

In comparison, the Volvo looks like an out of proportion mess from start to finish.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,781 Posts
I saw this yesterday in Rochester.

(sorry for the not so great picture quality, I snapped this picture while walking into a Papa John's to pick up a few pizzas)

Anyone recognize these?

It's the 1987-91 Volvo 780 Coupe. Designed by Bertone in Italy, they were built off the 700 series platform, but they were a little lower. They were rear drive, and powered by a 2.8L V6 at production beginning, but by later in the production run, they were running turbocharged four bangers, running anywhere between 175 and 200hp. They came as fully loaded as any other Volvo from that era, and probably compared very well to the 635csi in terms of luxury accoutrements. I thought it was kinda neat looking, especially in terms of the way the body is proportioned and laid out.

Here's the 1988 780 brochure:
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/pdf/brochures/780LimitedEdition1988.pdf
Not a bad looking Volvo (sort of like "not bad for a Lincoln") but not cigar. This was the second generation of this model and it was better looking than the first generation. The reason why the V-6 was discontinued was it was a terrible engine. It was a design and build joint venture with Renault (same engine was used in the original DeLoreans) and turned out very badly. Apparently they were trouble from the start. The biggest selling point for the Volvo 780 was the quality of their interiors, which were designed in Italy and feature very fine Italian leather. The car was heavy even witth the Turbo four cylinder and suffered from tirbo lag .... as did most all turbos of the '80s.

·
Registered
'08 DTS Lux III Blk Cherry, '89 Brougham d'Elegance Dip Blue
4,845 Posts
I could have bought a 780 identical to that red one about a year ago for something like $700. It was the 4-cyl turbo too. '91 IIRC. The rear shocks were toast though.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,781 Posts
Too bad you didn't tell Night Wolf, if it had been stick and the interior had been redeamable he could have made a good DD of of it. I always thought the 980 coupes were sort of a "razor edge" version of the BMW 633 prportions were similar as was the large glass area. If you could fix the steering so that it had more feel (never have understood Volvo's dead steering feel, non pwer steering Volvo's were OK).

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6 (Venus) 1964 Impala (Betty) 1991 Miata (Dolly)
14,309 Posts
That Accord Rick posted is a '90 or '91. I remember when those came out how disappointed I was after the sleek '86-'89 versions:

I had wanted to buy an Accord coupe when it came out, but I couldn't afford one at the time:

I eventually came around on the '90-'93 sedans, but I always thought the coupe looked frumpy compared to the one that preceded it.

I was originally looking for an '86-'89 Accord as a cheap cash car when I bought Cruella, but the ones I found were all thoroughly trashed and still overpriced. I found one for $1,600 IIRC, and the hood looked like it had been painted with Liquid Paper. Using the brush.

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,833 Posts
Let me add Camaro 1980 and 1981. Indeed I do love second gen Camaros, Their production continued until 1981, and that is why I am listing 1980 and 1981 years here...

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,781 Posts
Sorry, Ben.Gators your Camaro was not an eighties design. The original "berlinetta coupe" 2nd series came out in 1971 and ran, with various front and rearend caps until 1981. The best examples of this series were the "71 Camaro and the 67-68 Firebird.

I thought the '82 Firebird was neat when it came out, then I went to look at one in the showroom it was such a junky heap I didn't even ask to test drive it!

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,781 Posts
The Fiero was kind of cool. I was asked to attend the market research viewing of what would become the new Fiero. It took place about three years befor the car actually came out as a finished product. The cars they were showing as potential models for the final Fiero were even coller than the car turn out to be. But to me. as far as Americancars went the Fiero was one of the most attractive designs. UnfortunatleyGM couldn't figure out if it was supposed to be a "commuter" (Dad drives it the train station on weekdays) or a sportscar.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6 (Venus) 1964 Impala (Betty) 1991 Miata (Dolly)
14,309 Posts
I thought Chevrolet did a nice job meeting the feds bumper standards with the 1978-81 reskin:

Certainly an improvement over those big ugly bumpers from 1974-77:

Although the best second-generation Camaros are the split-bumper RS:

·
Registered
33,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
IMO Honda really perfected that overall shape/design to produce one of the best flowing, well-proportioned cars from that era. On the whole, they were pretty nice cars too. I like these cars a lot and wouldn't mind having one if the prices were so inflated, though my 528e fills that spot... atleast for me probably a better choice too.

Good point Rick! The '90-93 Accords were really a great design, a highlight of the old-school Japanese school of simplicity in straight, clean cut lines. They didn't get much better than this, atleast from this era. The proportions were just about perfect, and it was very easy to drive because it offered great visibility from all angles when situated behind the wheel. They were pretty fun to drive too, light on their feet and very tossable, but still decently roomy and comfy. I came close to buying one in the fall of '06, but I couldn't find a decent one for less than $3,000. It seemed pretty ridiculous to pay $3,000 for a mediocre, high mileage Honda Accord when I could buy a nice 307 Brougham for the same price.

I thought Chevrolet did a nice job meeting the feds bumper standards with the 1978-81 reskin:

Certainly an improvement over those big ugly bumpers from 1974-77:

Although the best second-generation Camaros are the split-bumper RS:

I'm gonna flat out say this, I don't care for any of the 2nd generation Camaros. They all look too "busy" too me, and they never had the big blocks like the Trans Ams did, and IIRC, the 1970-81 Trans Am was almost always quicker than the 70-81 Z28. The Z28 may have been the better handling car though, I dunno. I prefer the first generation Camaro, second generation Firebird, third generation Firebird and fourth generation Camaro.

That Accord Rick posted is a '90 or '91. I remember when those came out how disappointed I was after the sleek '86-'89 versions:

I knew a guy back in high school that had an '88 Accord LX-i hatchback and SWORE by that car. I don't remember much about it, other than it sat really low to the ground, so it was really fun to cruise around in because it felt like you were going a lot quicker than you really were, in comparison to other vehicles.

I remember when I was real young (5-6 years old), my grandpa on my dad's side of the family had an 87-89 Accord Sedan, and from growing up with that car from time to time, I came to like Hondas at an early age. I can remember one time when we were going to visit him, we stopped at the local Honda dealer (Buerkle Buick/Honda in White Bear Lake FYI) and I looked at the new Accord coupes and really liked them. I also remember seeing the Del Sol then when it first came out.

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,598 Posts
I prefer the first generation Camaro, second generation Firebird, third generation Firebird and fourth generation Camaro.
Close, for me. Yes, yes, yes, and NO! The last gen TA WS6 with the ram air hood is one of the sexiest looking cars made in the last 20 years. The Camaro was ok in the early years, but became downright ugly after they swtiched to the flush-mounted headlights.

View attachment 68850

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,730 Posts
Close, for me. Yes, yes, yes, and NO! The last gen TA WS6 with the ram air hood is one of the sexiest looking cars made in the last 20 years. The Camaro was ok in the early years, but became downright ugly after they swtiched to the flush-mounted headlights.

View attachment 68850
This entire post speaks of truth.

·
Registered
33,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree that the Camaro went ugly when they went to the flush headlights in '98, but that LS1 Trans Am is just too complicated looking for me, especially with the ram air hood. It looks like horses' nostrils!

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.