Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new cts-v has a crackle noise (like am radio static) comming from the center dash speaker, the dealer wants to tear my dash apart to replace it. I don't think the speaker is the problem because the noise doesn't get louder with the volume up, it's at the same level as long it is not muted. At low volume it is louder than the music.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V **sold**, 2009 CTS4
376 Posts
I don't think you have much choice...they are not going to order you a whole new nav system until they are sure it is not a loose connection or something lodged in the speaker....

·
Registered
2005 Black CTS-V
111 Posts
I've recently noticed the same problem with that center speaker. It sounds to me like the speaker is blown, though it isn't alway noticible.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I get that speaker noise also. When I first put the ignition in the run position (accessory power on), it pops in and out. White noise, static, whatever, it's pretty annoying. Makes it sound like I've got some cheap audio equipment or something.

I'd say, if they're willing to step up and try to assist you, at least they're looking to help, rather than blowing you off. Then on the other hand, dissassembling everything to get at the speakers, which you're pretty sure it's not, does seem unnecessary and may open up a whole 'nother bag of potential problems.

Also, when you say you put the volume on mute, do you mean that the volume knob is just turned all the way down?

·
Registered
'06 CTSV
451 Posts
atdeneve said:
Makes it sound like I've got some cheap audio equipment or something.
That's because it is cheap audio equipment as is everything ever made by Delphi (formally Delco) and Bose. :rant2:
I'm not taking a shot at you atdeneve, I have the same POC. I prefer to turn the radio off and listen to my car.

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
so had anyone found a fix for this problem yet?
Yes. I had that problem so the dealer replaced my stereo/nav unit and it fixed the issue. That was 10 months ago and the static hasn't come back since.

That may not be the answer you were hoping for, but there ya go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes. I had that problem so the dealer replaced my stereo/nav unit and it fixed the issue. That was 10 months ago and the static hasn't come back since.

That may not be the answer you were hoping for, but there ya go.
Sounds like the ugly truth, but appreciate you sharing. Anyone else looking for hopes - keep searching Google, but change your search, if you add "-intext: stereo issue" you can remove results with text u keep seeing and you know is not related

Having the same issue FYI - I have eliminated loose connections on amp. Don't have tool to test the amp, and its expensive, so I be searching the forms for alternative solutions. This problem started 3 weeks after I hooked up my subs to the cars system using dual aux instead of tapping or splitting the speaker wires and was really afraid I blown them.

Anyone know of where to find spec sheets so I replace with awesome upgrades? If I'm going to dig in there, I might as well upgrade, blown or not - right?

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
437 Posts
Oddly enough I had what I was convinced was a speaker crackle.

I found that noise transmits oddly through the dash.

The first time I heard it, it was inconsistent and ended up being a loose panel below the dash that made it seem like it was coming from the center dash.

A few months later it was back, and after a few weeks ended up figuring that it was the center dash panel. Added mylar tape as per a TSB and it went away.

Flash forward to now, and again I have a noise that sounds like it's the center speaker. It's actually a loose sun roof bracket.

All of the sounds seem to travel, and maybe it's an acoustic thing with the design of the car, but all of the above things sounded exactly like a crackling center speaker to me.

I don't know if that will help you any, but may help eliminate the easier stuff if the speaker ends up being good.

-Byron

1 - 11 of 11 Posts