Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
small speaker above my head seems to crackle after i start up my truck for a minute or two, then seems to go away. seems to be worse in cold weather.
any explanation?

·
Registered
2003 Escalade EXT
106 Posts
small speaker above my head seems to crackle after i start up my truck for a minute or two, then seems to go away. seems to be worse in cold weather.
any explanation?
Here is what has been posted before. That's not a speaker it's a fan grille. There is a small fan inside that runs air to a temp sensor for the auto temp system. That fans needs to be replaced. I have the same problem, just haven't gotten around to fixing it.

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
It's the ambient air sensor fan. If the vehicle is still under warranty it's covered. I found the noise got significantly worse during the cold months, just as your does. Replace it.

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts
any explanation?
That is a secrete micro phone to record you in an accident. :D
Buzz Noise from Headliner Above Driver - kw AC air cover fan GMT805 GMT820 GMT830 grill HVAC interior microphone sensor speaker temperature vent vibration #PI01760 - (02/19/2004)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms.

Condition/Concern:
There may be a buzz or vibration noise emanating from the headliner in an area that looks like a microphone or a speaker above the driver on the headliner.

Recommendation/Instructions:
The plastic escutcheon grill that is round and about the size of a half dollar located just above the driver to the left is the interior ambient temperature sensor. This sensor is used in conjunction with the automatic HVAC (C68). The sensor uses a small fan to pull air over the sensor. On occasion this sensor has been known to make a buzz or rattle sound that may be intermittent. Although it may not be possible to alleviate all of the buzz or noise from this sensor, it has been found that if the sensor is installed incorrectly it may bind and cause the fan to make excessive noise. Remove the sensor and while doing so, check for any binding in the mounting. Reinstall the sensor and re-test. If the noise is still present, the sensor itself may be noisy and require replacement.

·
Registered
Escalade
3 Posts
could a malfuntion in this sensor by any chance cause the auto climate control system to not function properly? mainly in the winter cause my heater only works when on max heat and the dealer said there was nothing wrong with the hvac.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
could a malfuntion in this sensor by any chance cause the auto climate control system to not function properly? mainly in the winter cause my heater only works when on max heat and the dealer said there was nothing wrong with the hvac.
hey mine only works on max heat too! hmmm.....

·
Registered
Cadillac
7 Posts
My 02 has a funked up sound there too and it sounds like a faint air compressor sound up by your head. Thanks guy's this site is KNOWLEDGE wich is POWER!

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
It is called an "aspirator".
A small fan inside draws cabin air from above the driver to tell the climate control system what the in car temp is.
It can affect system operation, but rarely does it do so.
Temperature control issues are usually caused by faulty actuators in the dash.

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
I just bought my first Escalade on Friday. 2003 ESV. I thought that sound had something to do with OnStar. Didn't realize it was a fan. Thanks! Back to the dealer!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I froze my back seat riders the first winter. The A/C for the back stays on unless you turn the control to off up front and then back on. The default for the AC is on and it will fight the heater unless you cycle the control to off up front.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
If you have dual zone climate control turn the right knob up.
The right knob controls the rear hvac and should be at the same setting as the front unless the rear knob is turned.
If there is no rear seat control it is all controlled from the right knob as I said.
If there is a rear control they should be able to change it how they like.

·
Registered
2006 escalade
9 Posts
I have a similar problem. Mine sounds like something is juggling around. When I hit the ceiling with my fist (which I do) It sounds like something is loose. Could that fan get loose up there and if so how do I get at it. Mine is out of warranty. 06 Escalade 65k miles. any help for me

1 - 14 of 14 Posts