Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6DI AWD
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some WOT runs :bouncy: with the caddy and my friend in his Lexus ES. We both had a passenger. He was in the right lane and me in the left lane. I gave him a few seconds head start since he has a v6. When I blew past him going around 70-80 and then slowed down he said that there were sparks coming from my right front tire at around 70+ mph and we could smell it too while slowing down. When we slowed down there was a severe burning smell, (like metal or plastic, dunno how to describe it:confused:).

Looked at the car the next day and couldn't see anything that would cause this. I havent experienced this driving normally in city or highway. I should also mention that for the past couple of weeks, sometimes when I would come home from a drive, it would smell like what can only be described as hot glue(like from a hot glue gun) but wasnt too strong.

Anyone know what this could be, struts, springs, rim, rotors, brakes, calipers?
I'll pull the codes tommorow but I doubt that this would show up on the DTCs.

Thanks.

PS. My friend in the lexus said that it was not ALOT of sparks, FWIW. We did have two runs before this run and i guess they didn't notice it.
But I did have fun with the WOT runs. My friend was all cocky that his lexus "was pretty zippy" and could beat the heavy caddy. After the runs i asked what happened with his "zippy" lexus and he said "Can't keep up with the V8 :( ". :highfive:

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Well, it's definetly some sort of metal on metal contact. The first thing that pops into my mind would be calipers sticking on the rotors perhaps?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,987 Posts
When we slowed down there was a severe burning smell, (like metal or plastic, dunno how to describe it).
it would smell like what can only be described as hot glue(like from a hot glue gun) but wasnt too strong.
If the '98 has electronic brake ware indicators, that may be what you are smelling. They are plastic and are sacrificial. As the pads wear, the plastic will rub the rotor and melt till the wires come apart and trip the SERVICE BRAKES message. Not sure if you would smell it though as I would think it would be very gradual, but it is worth checking and is the only thing I can think of from your description.

·
Registered
Cadillac 98sls
205 Posts
hi I have a 98sls and i have the same exact same smell only at wot is when l smell it burnt plastic will check rangers advice thanks.

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
yea but my passenger and I could smell it:rolleyes:
So yous smelled what was burning off.
Isnt that why for the WOT's ? To burn it all out ??

He told you was when you hit 70 right ?

How the hell did he know what your speed was.
Unless that was the speed he was at when you left him in your dust LMAO.

Ya.
Id go with the sour grapes thing :bouncy:

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6DI AWD
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So yous smelled what was burning off.
Isnt that why for the WOT's ? To burn it all out ??

He told you was when you hit 70 right ?

How the hell did he know what your speed was.
Unless that was the speed he was at when you left him in your dust LMAO.

Ya.
Id go with the sour grapes thing :bouncy:
lol
After we got out of the car, there was definately a strong smell coming from that front right wheel. BTW, I checked the codes and nothing applies to this.
I might take the wheel off tomorrow and have a more thorough look...but im not too worried about it

:hide:I guess I found a loophole in the post kills in the kills section:highfive:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts