Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what mileage are people replacing their spark plugs? After having them replaced, are there any noticeable differences in the way the car runs?

·
Registered
1966 Cadillac Deville/Calais
17 Posts
Modern cars typically don’t need plugs changed until 100k. You should notice slight increases in:

1. idle smoothness
2. MPG
3. Performance

·
Registered
119 Posts
Cadillac recommends replacement at 60,000 miles, but I haven't heard of many that are at or above that mileage. Tuned cars and ones that are tracked would probably benefit from changing them by 60k, or sooner. But you're right that in most cars today they will easily last 100k especially if you use top tier fuel.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V 4-door, 2016 ATS-V 2-door
576 Posts
Modern cars typically don’t need plugs changed until 100k. (snip)
Cadillac recommends replacement at 60,000 miles, but I haven't heard of many that are at or above that mileage. Tuned cars and ones that are tracked would probably benefit from changing them by 60k, or sooner. But you're right that in most cars today they will easily last 100k especially if you use top tier fuel.
The 60,000K recomendation for a plug change is about as far as anyone should go, if they expect the LF4 to perform the way it should.

My experience is that I have yet to see any performance engine go 100,000 miles without a spark plug change...no matter what fuel you use, "top tier" or otherwise.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Totally agree with what Hib says. I was looking up recommended interval for some bmw m cars. Some engines need to have the plugs replaced as early as 37,000 miles. It looks a little bit challenging to change them out yourself from the couple of you tube videos I've seen. Just a matter of taking your time ,not breaking any plastic connectors and making sure you reattach everything that you remove. I'm sure guys on the forum can speak to this better than I can.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Did mine at 35K, no noticeable wear but I gapped the new ones tighter to help with the calibration I was running before I throw in some colder ones when I go full E85.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you work on cars regularly then it is a pretty easy job.

Yes there is some stuff in the way but that is the case with most cars now so not much different than working on any late model performance car.

Vacuum tank and lines for the turbos are fragile so be careful with those.

Should take you no more than 2 hours actual time if you have never done it.

I can do a set in about 30 minutes if I am on a time crunch but I have done more than I care to count.

Working on a cool engine makes it more enjoyable.

Power tools are your friend. And universal sockets.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts