Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
You didn’t replace the seals or gaskets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No I did not. I never considered it but I probably should have. My guess is that yes, oil will seep into the plug wells over time but it probably takes a while. The nice thing about this engine is that the plugs are easy to get to. If I get a chance this weekend I will check #6 and see if I have any oil in there. I haven't logged any misfires yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't recall anyone ever saying their OEM spark plugs were made in Germany...that's interesting

Bill
I know right? I thought these things were made in Lansing, but that along with the Bosch coils had me scouring the web to see if there was a Caddy plant in Hamburg. o_O Wish I would have saved one I would post a picture.

·
Registered
2008 SRX4 & 2010 CTS4 sedan / Non-Cadillacs: 2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Chev Cruze LT
564 Posts
I don't know. I presume that they are press fit but some manufacturers use o-rings. Based on what I have seen having been "inside" the block, they are most likely press fit.

·
Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
2,138 Posts
I know right? I thought these things were made in Lansing, but that along with the Bosch coils had me scouring the web to see if there was a Caddy plant in Hamburg. o_O Wish I would have saved one I would post a picture.
...well GM did own German Opel AG...I knew from other responses that some parts might be Bosch (like the coils) but usually see AC Delco plugs in GM cars if they've never been replaced and many times those plugs are Denso (Nippon Denso) made...

are you sure those plugs have never been replaced before???...I only asked as my sister has a Toyota Corolla that it was claimed to have the original plugs in when I replaced them and found they had Bosch plugs (they had been changed) but I went with the ToyotaNation recommended OEM Denso Iridium plugs...

good luck with your ride

Bill

·
Registered
2,138 Posts

it is hard for me to tell for sure but MirrorBlack's post here of OEM plugs appear to have -RMANY engraved on the plugs...I've never seen that before...

thanks guys

Bill

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
sure, I was wondering if they were made in Germany or what else they may have had written on them...

thanks

Bill

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,235 Posts
sure, I was wondering if they were made in Germany or what else they may have had written on them...

thanks

Bill
Damn. I see it, too.
Mirror, show us the other side of the smooth shoulder just above the threads. It sure does appear to read "GERMANY".

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't know. I presume that they are press fit but some manufacturers use o-rings. Based on what I have seen having been "inside" the block, they are most likely press fit.
The reason I ask is because it seems to me that oil seepage from the bottom seems like a possibility. I wasn’t able to find any info about the Caddy but the videos I found for other makes they were pulling the tubes out with pliers or vice grips, cleaning them, and putting sealant on the bottom before pushing them back in.

·
Registered
2008 SRX4 & 2010 CTS4 sedan / Non-Cadillacs: 2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Chev Cruze LT
564 Posts
You pull those out and I suspect that you will be replacing them with new ones. They are as robust as they need to be but they do not appear to me to be robust enough to extract without risk of damage.

The spark plug well gaskets on my valve covers were as brittle AF. That combined with the corrosion was a recipe for leakage. Leaking from the bottom is possible for sure but if it's more than one spark plug well involved, I would zero in on the gaskets.

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,235 Posts
Solid advice once again, Northern ^^^^

·
Registered
2008 CTS Base
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
A bit off topic. I noticed my coolant is a little low.

20k miles ago I had it flushed at a shop (not dealer). My question is, how do I know what antifreeze/coolant to put in it? I’m not sure what the shop used. It looks to be orange.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts