Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS Base
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just gathering some opinions. I’m thinking of changing the spark plugs in my 2008. I only have 47k but they are the original spark plugs. I’m assuming they need changed due to age. What did you all use when replacing yours? OEM? AC Delco from oriellys? Aftermarket? Iridium? Platinum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Base CTS work at Pullen solenoids Glass Factory for 36 and a half years
268 Posts
I put iridium in my 2005 CTS with a 2.8 l. A lot of times you can find some really great deals on spark plugs on rockauto.com. they quite often have rebates and I got mine for about the cost of a copper plug with the rebate. If I remember correctly they were Autolights.

Roy

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,235 Posts
These 3.6 engines are finicky about certain items, plugs being one of them.
Iridium plugs are a nice upgrade, but personally I would stick with AC Delco for replacements.

·
Registered
2008 CTS Base
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These 3.6 engines are finicky about certain items, plugs being one of them.
Iridium plugs are a nice upgrade, but personally I would stick with AC Delco for replacements.
I seen at Orielly they had both ACDelco platinum and iridium. Which is standard?

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,235 Posts
I seen at Orielly they had both ACDelco platinum and iridium. Which is standard?

Platinum was factory issue, iridium is an upgrade.
There are many, many threads in the Gen II CTS subforums strongly recommending AC Delco units.

·
Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
2,138 Posts
remember that AC Delcos currently have a rebate (other makes may as well but I'd stick to the AC Delco) and there is always a 5% discount floating around for Rock Auto...

Bill

·
Registered
268 Posts
Here is the current discount code

Just enter it in the box that says "how did you hear about us". It's good until July 26th.

Roy

·
Registered
'09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury
1,455 Posts
I generally prefer NGK and Bosch but stuck with AC Delco for my LLT. Many Delco plugs are actually made by NGK and are stamped "Made in Japan" but mine were not. I have no idea who made them but I upgraded from the perfectly adequate oem platinum to iridium. I doubt that you need plugs but changing them won't hurt anything and will allow you to check for cam cover leakage into the plug wells.

Reactions: rpw1690

·
Registered
2008 CTS Base
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you all think the coil packs are fine or should they be replaced as well?

·
Registered
2008 CTS Base
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Coil packs rarely need replacement.
Thank goodness, I just checked the prices . Car seems to be running good. Ever so often it will kinda hesitate when accelerating so I’m hoping fresh plugs will remedy that. I’m going with AC Delco Irridiums. Who knows, maybe I can get better than 20mpg.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Try putting in a little fuel injector cleaner as it may help with your hesitation. I have a gallon of Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner and put some in the cars every couple of months.

Roy

·
Registered
2008 CTS Base
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Try putting in a little fuel injector cleaner as it may help with your hesitation. I have a gallon of Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner and put some in the cars every couple of months.

Roy
Tried the Lucas about a year ago. Didn’t seem to make a difference. It was doing it quite often before I had to change the MAF. Now it rarely does it.

·
Registered
2008 CTS Base
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey. I see I have a little oil on my plug. Is this a concern?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,886 Posts
Not a concern. The cam cover plug wells are sealed with O-rings that weep over time. Oil is an insulator ............

Plug looks new - why change them ?

Many "AC Delco" plugs are contract sourced from DENSO Japan. My 2002 owner's manual uses the DENSO plug number, not the "AC Delco".

·
Registered
2008 CTS Base
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not a concern. The cam cover plug wells are sealed with O-rings that weep over time. Oil is an insulator ............

Many "AC Delco" plugs are contract sourced from DENSO Japan. My 2002 owner's manual uses the DENSO plug number, not the "AC Delco".
I noticed that cylinder 1 and 3 where the only ones with oil.

I changed them because they are the original plugs from the factory. Only has 47k miles but they’re 12 years old and I’d occasionally experience a stumble during acceleration or different quickness of starting up when turning the key (if that makes sense)

·
Registered
2008 SRX4 & 2010 CTS4 sedan / Non-Cadillacs: 2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Chev Cruze LT
564 Posts
Run a mode 6 test. I was getting a small number of misfires before I replaced the spark plug tube gaskets and now I have none. The oil must have been seeping down the threads into the cc. I also had fouled O2 sensors and was getting codes about my cat. I have since replaced two O2 sensors in bank 1 and all the boots and springs on the COPs for all six plugs. Mode 6 tests run super clean now. I am still chasing down overly rich fuel trims (a minor issue) but these other issues have since gone away. A complete cam covers and spark plug tubes gasket job is a couple of hours but (IMO) well worth it on these cars.

·
Registered
268 Posts

Can't see the electrodes so it's hard to really say anything about the condition of the plug.

Roy

1 - 20 of 58 Posts